PDA

View Full Version : Extend open edges along existing edges ?

madno
10-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Hi,

I have a shape with some angles. All polys are planar. I now want to extend the open edges in way that the new points move along the direction of the existing edges. The goal is that the new polys are planar as well. Tried all tools I found but either I don't understand them or they are not able to do the trick? The only way so far was the new transform tool, but this let me only do one point at a time.

Any idea?

Farhad_azer
10-27-2015, 02:02 AM
just use extender if I understood correctly. select edges or points and hit 'e' and then move them by t.

meshpig
10-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Cut, knife, bandsaw... as in move the edges or vertices to whereever and 'subdivide' using the tools.

meshpig
10-27-2015, 02:35 AM

erikals
10-27-2015, 03:58 AM
this maybe ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl5wOREnqYI

Lewis
10-27-2015, 04:12 AM
you need DUnislide plugin.

erikals
10-27-2015, 04:40 AM
hi, wonder, does it differ from WEdgeSlide ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzr7uUHC0xs

erikals
10-27-2015, 05:10 AM
DUniSlide vs WEdgeSlide... looks to be almost the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vok74IGLQ0

Lewis
10-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Well there is few differences, and one is that DUnislide is not scrip but plugin (*.p) so it's much faster on hi-poly stuff. Also not sure does Wedgeslide work on open edges as OP needs whole DUnislide works.

djwaterman
10-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Well there is few differences, and one is that DUnislide is not scrip but plugin (*.p) so it's much faster on hi-poly stuff. Also not sure does Wedgeslide work on open edges as OP needs whole DUnislide works.

I agree, in this example I just selected the points and used DUnislide to move the points to follow their individual directions. If you still want to keep the original edges you can just use edit edges to put them back. I attempted to mimic the original example as best I could.

erikals
10-27-2015, 05:23 PM
tested one more time,
DUniSlide = WEdgeSlide, pretty much...

DUniSlide should be faster on highres as you say
WEdgeSlide should be quite a bit more comfortable when fast tweaking lower res geometry

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 06:06 PM
One of them, can't remember which, works to interpolate on subD curves, so you keep smooth surfaces. The other doesn't

madno
10-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks all,
got Dunislide and that did the trick in combination with Edit Edges.

madno
10-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Nope,
DUniSlide does not do the trick. The Uniformness does not work as I need it. But WEdgeSlide gives the desired result.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2015, 01:05 AM
:stumped: How is it that Extend+Transform didn't do the trick???

madno
10-28-2015, 01:56 AM
Extend + Transform goes wonky. Seems so you can't extend (e) an edge and directly use Transform afterwards. It only works if I use another tool (e.g. translate) first. And transform seem to either use an avarage normal direction or you need to specify the direction based on one specific selection (e.g. one edge or one poly). So the idea that multiple points move along their direction on the existing edges is only possible with a plug in.

JoePoe
10-28-2015, 09:11 AM
So the idea that multiple points move along their direction on the existing edges is only possible with a plug in.

Nope. DAES (Do As Erikals Says :))

Extend Edges works natively. Just remember to identify (or make) a target plane.
(It's got the added benefit of being able to extend to a skewed termination surface.)

I put the "after" in the background.

madno
10-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Sorry miss understanding,
I thought e on keyboard and the new (LW 11.5) transform tool.
The extend edges looks good. WEdgeSlide was just the faster solution in my case.
But knowing the terminator geometry solution now, is very good. I am sure it will not take long till I run into a requirement like that.
So, there is a native solution in LW.

meshpig
10-29-2015, 01:59 AM
It's interesting, as a blind person, because I can't see detail or straight lines I do most modelling in my brain. Like I wouldn't bother looking for an elegant solution... :)

jeric_synergy
10-29-2015, 09:34 AM
I note that "Extend Edges" is apparently not in the 2015.3 dox, or is not found by PDF Search. Reported as a doc bug.

Bad, since the UI is not at all intuitive.

caustix
10-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi, "ExtendEdges" actually is in the manual ... on page 1520.

It is also searchable ... but is spelled "ExtendEdges" with no space between ... if you try it that way it shows up and takes you right to the page where the command is documented.

But someone forgot to reference it in the TOC.

Regards.

spherical
10-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Same inconsistency with SkyTracer2. Searched on Sky Tracer in the PDF (PDF search sucks, BTW) and got one hit. Huh? Did a search online and realized it is spelled with no spaces (difficult to tell in the UI, as there's no kerning). Once I had the exact term, because Google performs fuzzy search, I found what I was looking for in the PDF.

jeric_synergy
10-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Hi, "ExtendEdges" actually is in the manual ... on page 1520.
It is also searchable ... but is spelled "ExtendEdges" with no space between ... if you try it that way it shows up and takes you right to the page where the command is documented.
But someone forgot to reference it in the TOC.
Regards.
:grumpy: I still call that a doc bug: things have to be findable. (Actually, it is in the TOC, but still no space.)

It's these dozens of little things that make me agitate for user-input into the doc files: BeeVee can't find every one, and if he could just scan a suggested addition and hit "Approved" think how fast the dox could be enhanced. I'm reasonably sure it's possible to have some sort of invisible tag with "Extend Edges", with a space, to help the Search function.

+++++++++++++

I must be using this VERY incorrectly, because I'm getting all sorts of wonky results.

JoePoe
10-31-2015, 08:18 AM
I must be using this VERY incorrectly, because I'm getting all sorts of wonky results.

Having a hard time seeing what's going on here. Geometry is a little small.
I assume the screen shot is after things have gone wonky.
What's the starting point? What edges you want to extend? I get where the target plane is.

Haven't read the manual, but all I did was select the target poly, switch to edge mode and select what I want to extend (extend... not move).... hit Extend Edges.

Want to post the test object?

Edit: My initial suspicion.... you didn't select the target?

Edit 2: oh, and the target poly normal should be facing the incoming edges. Otherwise you'll get some wonkiness: Inverted polys and such.... different from your wonkiness.

jeric_synergy
10-31-2015, 11:05 AM
The selected Edges fly off to -X. The target poly IS selected. Quite odd.

Recreated the object, same behavior.

++++++++++++++++++
When in doubt, read the dox. I selected the wrong edges: gotta select the RING of Edges perpendicular to the "edge" one wants to extend/extrude.

++++
Now, here's an interesting thing: if you select the next-to-last horizontal loop of Edges in the hemisphere, after successfully using ExtendEdges, you can use NEXT/PREV loop to go up+down the hemisphere, but it skips the loop next to the extension and jumps straight to the target edges.

I wonder why that is.

JoePoe
10-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Right! You're not extending these edges... They're just being "moved". 130664

These are being extended.... :hey: 130665

Oedo 808
10-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Is it just me who doesn't read the documentation? I wouldn't even know where to find it.

JoePoe
10-31-2015, 12:17 PM
I just played with it for a minute or two. (that came out sounding wrong :p)

1) Play
2) look for tutes
3) play some more
4) documentation (I rarely make it to step 4)

Not recommending it. It's just how I do.

...I wouldn't even know where to find it.

HA! Me too!
I had to do a search. :D

jeric_synergy
10-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Is it just me who doesn't read the documentation? I wouldn't even know where to find it.
I love to read the documentation, but I hate to search for it.

Anybody know if you can put invisible "search tags" in a PDF document? Like this tool needs a search tag called "Extend Edges" versus its name, "ExtendEdges".