PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem Please Help!

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi All, This is the first time in the many years I've used Lightwave that I'm having a serious problem. I have been making models of cables for years huge models, high poly count. The model i'm woking on right now is basic nothing compared to some of my other stuff, and yet modeler seems to crash every time I load a model back in. rebuilt the model, and still having the issue. Loaded an old model, and crash! Seem like sub patched models crash the most! I'm at my wits end! Of course Lightwave's tech support is virtually non existent! Lightwave Layout is fine! All the models load fine in Layout! I am working with very small cables. Don't know if that has something to do with it. Hope I don't have to reload Lightwave, I have thousands of textures, and really never understood how they get linked if Lightwave is reinstalled. I'm in the middle of a job right now. Haven't changed a think on the computer! Help!!! This is really serious! I'm running on Mac OS 10.10.5. Lightwave 11.6.3. all has been fine up to today. The only way I can get modeler to accept a model is if I double click the model file instead of loading through Modeler!

Scazzino
10-26-2015, 04:13 PM
If you haven't already, you can try deleting configs and temporarily turning off any third-party plugins you may have loaded.

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 04:17 PM
If you haven't already, you can try deleting configs and temporarily turning off any third-party plugins you may have loaded.
If I delete The config files what is that going to change? Remember I'm on a Mac. Where are the configs? Do mean the preference files in the user library?

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Help! No really, I'm screwed here!

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Best bet is to UL a representative sample here.

spherical
10-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Hope I don't have to reload Lightwave, I have thousands of textures, and really never understood how they get linked if Lightwave is reinstalled.

In this case, I'd make a copy of the entire LW install tree, just for safe keeping. Then uninstall it. Anything that doesn't get installed by LightWave's installer is left in place. IOW, if it doesn't know about it, it is ignored. Then find your config files, copy those and delete the originals. I have three Macs, but they're old enough that current MacOS versions won't run on them, so don't install LightWave on them. Unable to help with the config location, but someone will pop in. On Windows, there is a .NewTek directory in the User directory that is named for the LightWave version. I'd wager that it is in a similar location.

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Best bet is to UL a representative sample here.

I will as soon as I get back. I think the problem is with modeler, because even older files which use to load fine are crashing! I really don't know what to do! Lightwave support absolutely stinks! The community is great though! I remember them saying that phone support would come back. Right!

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Also: do you have an older installation you can try it on?

I find some files, usually not multiples like your situation, are "poison files" -- they kill apps dead. (Someone got all knicker-twisted when I pointed out his script generated poison files -- really dude? That's what they were.) If the files are malformed,sometimes you can recover them by loading them into an app that happesn to load LWO, such as blender, and re-saving.

Scazzino
10-26-2015, 07:44 PM
To try a fresh config, just do this...

• Quit Modeler
• Rename the old config file temporarily to test (don't worry you won't lose anything and can restore the old one after the test.)
~/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/11.6.3/Modeler 11
(Just rename the file "Modeler 11" to something like "HIDE Modeler 11")

• Then relaunch Modeler and try again.
(If that works then the problem may be a corrupted config file. If that doesn't work, it's not the config and you can delete the new "Modeler 11" file that was just created and rename the "HIDE Modeler 11" back to "Modeler 11" to restore the config the way it was.)

Another thing I would try is to create a new temp user on the Mac and copy the file content to a shared folder and try to open them from the new user. That will make sure there's nothing wrong in your user environment.

You shouldn't have to worry about losing textures because they are stored with the object files. So reinstalling LightWave shouldn't really bother your textures (though the presets are stored elsewhere if you are using presets). You can rename your LightWave folder to "HIDE LightWave3D11.6.3" and then install it again, which will create a brand new LightWave3D11.6.3 folder. Then if you want to revert back just delete that new LightWave folder and rename the old one back to LightWave3D11.6.3.

Hope it helps.

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys I'll try these things tomorrow. Please check back here to see if it gets resolved. Really dislike not having any real support from Newtek!! Makes Lightwave a much less desired product!

Snosrap
10-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys I'll try these things tomorrow. Please check back here to see if it gets resolved. Really dislike not having any real support from Newtek!! Makes Lightwave a much less desired product! Not sure if you would hear anything differant than what you are hearing here. You could always send them the files you are having trouble with in a bug report - they reply to those.

DAMAKERS
10-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi,
Just curiosity, have you checked the general options panel in modeler, subpatch divisons and catmull-clark must be at 3 by default

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Just curiosity, have you checked the general options panel in modeler, subpatch divisons and catmull-clark must be at 3 by default
"must be"? They can never be other than the default? Please clarify.

DAMAKERS
10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
"must be"? They can never be other than the default? Please clarify.

Yes Jeric, you re right, i wasnt clear enough, what i mean is when modeler runs the first time, the values that comes by default is 3, and yes, it can be changed to any other lvl of subdivisions, just came to my mind if the number is too high, may it affect the memory in way that makes modeler crash?

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Ah, now I see. --Seems a long shot, though. I guess we'll know tomorrow afternoon.

sami
10-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Also, you could try loading the model in Blender or 3dcoat to see if it loads - then export a copy from those and try and load that into Modeler.

Narrow it down to see if it is the file or the settings for the app.

Tony3d
10-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Yes I already thought of that. I had them set at four, but even at two the problem still exhists. Can't understand why objects will load by double clicking the LWO FILE, and not through the open dialog in modeler. Puzzling!

jboudreau
10-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Yes I already thought of that. I had them set at four, but even at two the problem still exhists. Can't understand why objects will load by double clicking the LWO FILE, and not through the open dialog in modeler. Puzzling!

Are you able to upload one of your models so others can see if it crashed on their system?

Thanks,
Jason

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Are you able to upload one of your models so others can see if it crashed on their system?

Thanks,
Jason

I will do this today.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 07:08 AM
OMG Again! This just got a whole lot more interesting! I loaded in the layered file I had just saved with the new config file, and everything was fine. I then tried to flatten the layers using Save Layers As Object, and crash! Made a new config same thing! So I loaded the first layered file back in and started saving all 7 layers out one at a time. with the Save Layers As Object, and each one saved fine! Then I loaded each on back in one ate a time, and all was fine! Tried saving all 7 layers as one object again, and presto perfect! I have since tried all different combinations of layers saved both ways and everything seems fine now! Do you think I'm good to go? Seems that loading each one in one at a time then saving back out solved it. I also noticed the Zero point got fixed! The display use to rotate somewhere other than XYZ0. Now it works right! Really weird! I think Jeric is right about poisoned files!

Scazzino
10-27-2015, 08:15 AM
The model file could have been corrupted. But that wouldn't explain why all your models were crashing on load. Can you load your other files now too?

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 08:34 AM
The model file could have been corrupted. But that wouldn't explain why all your models were crashing on load. Can you load your other files now too?

Nope, I still have problems. Just when I think it's fixed! Here is a file that won't load commuter what I do. Well I can't even upload it. The file loads into Layout fine! This really sucks! Don't know what to do next!

ernpchan
10-27-2015, 08:42 AM
What if you save out of Layout to another file? Can you then bring that into Modeler ok?

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 09:04 AM
What if you save out of Layout to another file? Can you then bring that into Modeler ok?

No I can't. Tried saving as transformed object. Still can't load into modeler! I am so over Lightwave!!

jeric_synergy
10-27-2015, 09:22 AM
You can't even upload it? :stumped: It won't load into the browser??

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 09:36 AM
You can't even upload it? :stumped: It won't load into the browser??
Trying to upload through the add attachment on the form site.

Scazzino
10-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Did you zip it.? What's the error if it gives one...

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Did you zip it.? What's the error if it gives one...

Let me try to zip it.

jeric_synergy
10-27-2015, 09:42 AM
There are size limitations on upload, but ZIPping usually makes that a on-issue.

Scazzino
10-27-2015, 09:44 AM
If it's a size issue you could post it to a Dropbox and then just post a link.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 10:21 AM
If it's a size issue you could post it to a Dropbox and then just post a link.

It has something to do with the save layer as object dialog. everytime I use that the top left window in modeler goes blank, and if I do anything else it crashes!. Yet, if I save as an object from the file menu on top all is well. I'm at me wits end! Newtek really sucks leaving people out in the cold like this! If I have to give up this $4000.00 Job I'm going to really be pissed! Really don't know what to do now. I tried an older install of 11.6.1, and the same thing happens. I've zapped my pram, shutdown the machine, trashed my finder prefs, I don't know what else to do or where to go from here. Is Duce still around?

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Did you try renaming your 11.6 folder and downloading and installing a new version?

ernpchan
10-27-2015, 10:28 AM
It has something to do with the save layer as object dialog.

If it's specific to trying to do this, maybe try a different plugin that does the same thing.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/layer-to-object-saver/

Is there a reason why you're trying to save out to just a layer? If that object still loads fine, just work with it as is for now so you can get through your job. I might be missing something in your workflow so apologies in advance if my suggestion seems crude.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 10:31 AM
If it's specific to trying to do this, maybe try a different plugin that does the same thing.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/layer-to-object-saver/

Is there a reason why you're trying to save out to just a layer? If that object still loads fine, just work with it as is for now so you can get through your job. I might be missing something in your workflow so apologies in advance if my suggestion seems crude.

I'm have random crashes no matter what it seems. all my other programs seem fine. I need to take a break!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try renaming your 11.6 folder and downloading and installing a new version?

No, will that screw up my texture library?

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 10:40 AM
It's just a test. If the new version works, then you have a problem with the old, so eventually you will need to copy all your prefs and presets across. If it doesn't fix it, then just delete the new install, re-rename the old folder and no harm is done.

edit: or just post your .lwo

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 01:01 PM
I did a new install of 11.6.3, and as soon as I take 3 or 4 layers and use the Save Layers as abject dialog My top left Open GL window goes gray, and if I do anything else Except quit, I'll crash! Period! I have uploaded a folder. Please try and select just the 3 layers of strands, and the white Skin, and use Save Layers as Object. If it works try and load back in using Load object into layer. I have been doing this for years with no issues. Now it's all F^&%#$ Up?

Snosrap
10-27-2015, 01:13 PM
No issues here with it.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 01:16 PM
No issues here with it.

You Selected 3 layers of strands, and the white Skin, and used Save Layers as Object? Did it load back in? I wonder if something has happened to my OS?

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Absolutely no problems doing that here, 11.6.3 on OSX.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 01:19 PM
So now what?

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 01:25 PM
I wonder if it's an El Capitan thing, (I'm still on Mav)?

Do you have another machine you can try it on? When you D/L'ed the new version, did you launch it from it's own icon in Applications, if you used the hub, toolbar or lauchpad it might have run an old version.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 01:28 PM
I wonder if it's an El Capitan thing, (I'm still on Mav)?

Do you have another machine you can try it on? When you D/L'ed the new version, did you launch it from it's own icon in Applications, if you used the hub, toolbar or lauchpad it might have run an old version.

I don't use the Hub. It did run the correct version. I'm wondering if this is an OS X issue that has developed! Wondering if I should try to reinstall from the recovery? What does that effect in the OS?

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Just a thought...

If you just need to get the job out of the door, have you thought about the 30 day demo of 2015? Once that job's done you can start getting creative with recoveries/ re-installs, etc etc.

CaptainMarlowe
10-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Tested on my late2012 iMac i7 under El Capitan. Works fine with 11.6.2 and 2015.3, with Hub enabled.

Might be a user account issue. Did you try with a temp user account ? I got this (not with Lightwave but with Motion and FCP X plug-ins) recently. I created a new user account, and it solved a lot of problems I had - to the point that I now use this new account and I have stopped using the old one).

Snosrap
10-27-2015, 01:38 PM
You Selected 3 layers of strands, and the white Skin, and used Save Layers as Object? Did it load back in?

Yep.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Well, now modeler and Layout won't run even after I reinstall Lightwave! My older 11.6.1 runs, but not 11.6.3. I had created a new user, and thats when that got screwed up. I think i'm going to have to reinitialize my entire drive, and start over. something major happened here, yet I have no issue running anything else! I just don't know what to do! When I go to launch Modeler or Layout 11.6.3 the Icon just bounces!

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Think I'm going to try to install Lightwave on my external drive which has Le Captan on it. But just want to see what a complete fresh install does with no other versions on the drive.

Scazzino
10-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Then test that new install from the new test user you created. That will eliminate a whole host of issues such as a corrupt install or corrupt user files.

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Then test that new install from the new test user you created. That will eliminate a whole host of issues such as a corrupt install or corrupt user files.

Ok, I installed Lightwave onto my Drive in bay 3 which has El Capatn on it. Got all my textures back by copying the presets back into Newtek folder in Application Support. Loaded object that simple would not load without crashing, saved objects with Save Objects As Layers, It all worked fine! No problems! So something either went nuts with my system, or Lightwave has something somewhere in the system that got corrupt. So I'm first going to reinstall my OS from the recovery disc. That should keep my user stuff intact. Then I'm going to uninstall my job folders, and texture presets, then get rid all the Lightwave installs I have. then reinstall it fresh, replace the presets, and my job folder. Does that sound like a plan?

I'm just so glad it's running on the other drive with no issue!

pinkmouse
10-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Glad you're sorted :)

Tony3d
10-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Glad you're sorted :)

Thanks I feel much better! I think I'm just going to leave Lightwave on the new drive, and keep it seperate from everything else.

Tony3d
10-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Ok, Lightwave is now running fine on my other drive, so I decided to dump all my versions on the original drive and reinstall just 11.6.3. As soon as I drop my key on the liesence window, and restart the app, the icon just bounces! What the hell is that?

Scazzino
10-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Try just copying the LICENSE.LWK file from one LightWave folder to the other instead. Also, make sure only one copy of LightWave is running at a time.

Tony3d
10-28-2015, 12:28 PM
That worked. Thanks.

Scazzino
10-28-2015, 01:05 PM
No problem. Glad it's working!

caustix
10-28-2015, 04:17 PM
El Cap rocks!

Scazzino
10-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi Tony,

Where are you now with this? I thought it was working?
Can you explain exactly what's happening with steps to reproduce?

I'm not seeing any issues on a few Macs here that I tested it on so far...

Farhad_azer
10-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I am glad too and I also hope that you are not too late for scheduled work Tony.

edit: there are several posts. is it finally solved or not yet?