PDA

View Full Version : Image Sequence Woes

Luc_Feri
10-24-2015, 09:07 AM
I've tried and tried to get LW to load my image sequence through the Image Editor and it will not read anything past frame 9.

I've tried different suffixes, file types names, 01, 001 etc for a displacement sequence and it will only show 9 frames of the sequence. I've extended the timeline to match the 240 frames, I've adjusted the sliders to include frames in at 1 and then out at 240 and it will not work. Always runs for 9 frames. Even Modo was doing this as well.

Absolutely banging the head on the desk in frustration. :D

Luc_Feri
10-24-2015, 12:51 PM
I've managed to do it using a quicktime .mov.

Odd I would have thought a simple image sequence could have worked as I tried numerous different file types and prefix variants to no avail.

Could anyone confirm if a large image sequence can be used or whether more than 9 frames is pointless with LW?

Cheers

Dexter2999
10-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Luc- I've used image sequences much longer than 9 frames, actually I've used sequences that were up to 30 seconds (270) quite routinely. Not recently mind you.

What is the naming convention you were using? It should be in the format along the lines of NAME_001, NAME_002, NAME_003, etc...

gerry_g
10-24-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm on a Mac have had no problem with stacks outputting correctly either in LW 2015 or Modo 901, naming or numbering convention is chosen in the output dialogue box so can not see how that could be a problem

Dexter2999
10-24-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm on a Mac have had no problem with stacks outputting correctly either in LW 2015 or Modo 901, naming or numbering convention is chosen in the output dialogue box so can not see how that could be a problem

Well, If this is in reply to my question about the numbering convention, ten files numbered elsewhere could look like this Name 1, Name 10, Name 2, Name, 3, Name 4, Name 5....Name 9. But this would most likely break after the first frame as 1 and 10 are none sequential. The naming convention still strikes me as the most likely problem as it appears to be breaking at the point where the numbers need two places not one.

Also, NAME_0009 going to NAME_00010 will not work when it should be NAME_0010.
This all goes to not knowing the actual source of the image sequence and how it was generated.

Would it be possible for the OP to attach a zip file with say the first fifteen images attached for others to test?

gerry_g
10-24-2015, 04:39 PM
see image, numbering is not something you write into your sequence manually, you just choose a destination folder for your sequence by navigating to it and check the box, numbering is added automatically as per the drop down choice you make from the menu that I have marked in red ,and don't forget to select a file type.

Dexter2999
10-24-2015, 05:19 PM
I understand how LW generates sequences. But in the OP it never states that LW generated these sequences. It merely says importing a file sequence isn't working. The source is unknown.

But I do agree with you completely that if the image sequence was generated from LW automatically it should work absolutely.

Luc_Feri
10-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi,

The sequence is generated from Houdini. It is from the MPlay exporter. I haven't used an underscore in the prefix, I'll have to see what I can do there. I have been trying exporting as 0001, 001 or 01 and different variants to no avail. I'm sure I can sort it but yes the problem is as Dexter says, no matter what I have done it has been retaining the number of decimal places set instead of turning 0009 into 0010 which it does not and does 0009 , 00010 instead and fails to load after frame 9. Even a sequential 1,2,3,4 etc will not work either, talk about frustrating. Windows can file sort the decimal placings in the file list that retains the exported maps no problem and they are in order in the folder.

Often it's the little things that mess up a pipeline workflow, awkward as hell this one. It's poor that LW can't just load them however the file format is numbered and load it sequentially regardless of naming convention and load it in the order they are stacked inside the folder, within Windows OS framework.

spherical
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
It's poor that LW can't just load them however the file format is numbered and load it sequentially regardless of naming convention and load it in the order they are stacked inside the folder, within Windows OS framework.

Um, no, it's poor that Houdini can't number files in a logical way. The order that they may be stacked inside the folder is a UI display. It has nothing to do with any application reading the filenames.

Luc_Feri
10-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Um, no, it's poor that Houdini can't number files in a logical way. The order that they may be stacked inside the folder is a UI display. It has nothing to do with any application reading the filenames.

No, Houdini probably can when I've figured it out, I've only had it for 5 days. :D

I still think LW could make things easier. Besides, Windows sorts the file list depending on your attribute settings so surely it is more than just a UI display.