PDA

View Full Version : Confusing upgrade terms

pnevai
10-23-2015, 02:08 PM
What the heck do they mean by

Upgrade from a current version?
Upgrade from a non current version?

There certainly is a huge price jump between the two.

So are they hugely going to gouge users of 10 or 11?

They really should time these sales to when people tend to have some extra cash coming like tax return season (April to June) or after Christmas. Just sayin.

Dexter2999
10-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I think you get the idea between current and non current.

Yes, they are raising the cost of updating old versions. I hate to see this go myself. It has been a huge asset in keeping a hobbyist license hobbling along for years for myself. I actually own two LW seats. But with this new policy I can only afford to keep one update.

But I think the easy going, "kinder friendlier" pricing structure LW has used for years has been shortchanging the division. And if they want to improve profits and use that as grounds to justify spending for development, I can't fault that. (I just hope it is spent on development and not marketing.)

hrgiger
10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Well technically they're not raising the price of updating older versions, they're just giving a discount from upgrading from the current version. However, the regular upgrade price once the new pricing goes into effect will be $795 so that in itself is raising. But that has changed a bit, its' $495 now for a regular non-discounted upgrade while during LW 11, it was $695. The new price of $795 will go into effect once they release LightWave 2016.

It doesn't matter if you're upgrading from LW 6 or 9 or 11, it's all the same price to upgrade so as I said, they're really not raising the price of updating old versions. For those who have the current version, upgrade prices have fallen dramatically, call it a loyalty discount or whatever.

Its not like they've sprung this on us, they're giving people ample time to upgrade if they wish to do so well in advance of LW2016 which I don't see for at least a few more months if not longer. It might even be after tax time but right now there's no announce date but given they are slow to show the software and are just giving us a few peeks and tidbits here and there, I think its still going to be awhile.