PDA

View Full Version : Ei Capitan And Lightwave 11.6.3?

Tony3d
10-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi All, has there been in any issues with Lightwave 11.6.3 running under El Capitan? What about LW Cad 4.51? I'm going to be between jobs here soon, and wanted to upgrade. Thanks.

wesleycorgi
10-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Curious: what is compelling you to upgrade? I haven't heard of anything that is super beneficial, except for better integration with the current crop of iOS devices.

My home Mac tower is now on El Capitan and I have used a few times with LW 2015.3, but not enough to see whether there are any major glitches.

Tony3d
10-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Curious: what is compelling you to upgrade? I haven't heard of anything that is super beneficial, except for better integration with the current crop of iOS devices.

My home Mac tower is now on El Capitan and I have used a few times with LW 2015.3, but not enough to see whether there are any major glitches.

Just to keep current. Being between jobs, I thought this would be a good time.

wesleycorgi
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Fair enough! I used to run multiple partitions with different OS versions before fully committing to the new OS. But now I just throw caution to the wind and update when Apple goes to their first .1 update. I've only been stung a few times over the past few years with my core Mac apps.

If I do hear there are many gremlins, then I will clone my drive. That has saved me at least once.

DrStrik9
10-23-2015, 12:53 PM
We use a consultant who is up to date on just about everything MacOSX. He says to wait. "Just because they make an upgrade doesn't mean it's advisable to go for it."

Tony3d
10-23-2015, 01:00 PM
I may hold off a while. I'm still on 11.6.3!

caustics
10-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Hi!

I am on El Capitan for about two weeks now ... but using already LW 2015 since it came out. Having still a copy of LW 11.6.3 installed on this machine, I just checked and it seems that LW Modeler 11.6.3 runs without hassles ... did some basic modeling with a freshly constructed HD mesh. No issues. Cannot tell about 11.6.3 Layout would be optimistic on that too.

As far as OS X goes ... I came directly from Snow Leopard on the machine on which I'm running LW. I did held back the upgrade for years because I was trying to avoid running into compatibility issues with some older 3D packages I am still running on the very same machine.

Before EC, on SL I had some problems with LW ... almost every time first opened after power up it freezed ... no matter if it was modeler or layout ... second try usually got me in and working. After that no further problems running it for several hours. It was a bit annoying but bearable.

Now with EC this problems have all gone!!! LW and surprisingly all other software packages I thought would cause trouble are running very well too. Even Substance Designer which I've bought some time ago but didn't work with SL because of driver issues I suppose.

Not considering the bunch of applications I were able to install only after letting behind the old SL. This was a real burden.

My overall experience with EC is very encouraging. I put it already on two more macs and another is running the update right now ... no issues at all. Very stable.

And you have to see LW running in El Capitans Fullscreen mode ... LW from edge to edge ... what a view!!!

My 2cents.

Tony3d
10-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Hi!

I am on El Capitan for about two weeks now ... but using already LW 2015 since it came out. Having still a copy of LW 11.6.3 installed on this machine, I just checked and it seems that LW Modeler 11.6.3 runs without hassles ... did some basic modeling with a freshly constructed HD mesh. No issues. Cannot tell about 11.6.3 Layout would be optimistic on that too.

As far as OS X goes ... I came directly from Snow Leopard on the machine on which I'm running LW. I did held back the upgrade for years because I was trying to avoid running into compatibility issues with some older 3D packages I am still running on the very same machine.

Before EC, on SL I had some problems with LW ... almost every time first opened after power up it freezed ... no matter if it was modeler or layout ... second try usually got me in and working. After that no further problems running it for several hours. It was a bit annoying but bearable.

Now with EC this problems have all gone!!! LW and surprisingly all other software packages I thought would cause trouble are running very well too. Even Substance Designer which I've bought some time ago but didn't work with SL because of driver issues I suppose.

Not considering the bunch of applications I were able to install only after letting behind the old SL. This was a real burden.

My overall experience with EC is very encouraging. I put it already on two more macs and another is running the update right now ... no issues at all. Very stable.

And you have to see LW running in El Capitans Fullscreen mode ... LW from edge to edge ... what a view!!!

My 2cents.

Thanks for detail follow up! Sounds encouraging.

gerry_g
10-23-2015, 05:08 PM
only have El Cap on laptop ATM and only run LW2015 so not much to add to that BUT,... Adobe is a problem if you need their stuff – CS6 needs a legacy Java script module to be installed to run it and still there is a slight lag in selecting tools and scrub zoom stalls before it starts, CC2016 has rendering issues in Premier and image resize in PS tuns black on activation, and if you need MIDI support for instrument input its broken

caustics
10-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Luckily I am not using Adobe ... they scared me away some years ago ... and they managed to trash Macromedias stuff ... I had that SW back then and liked it a lot.

As I am doing more technical stuff I stuck with alternatives ... and now since I am on EC I am looking at Affinity I think it should serve all my needs.

Well to be honest ... there is a copy of CS2 on a well conserved PPC G5 iMac over there ... from time to time I give it a run ... when I get a bit nostalgic ;-)

Hahaha.

BTW what was the latest version of LW for PPC?

Schwyhart
10-23-2015, 07:36 PM
El Capitan messed my computer up. Even some glitches in FCPX, which is kinda lame because it's an apple software. Apparently, the OS team and FCPX team don't communicate.