PDA

View Full Version : I give up... What is that little camera icon in Layout..?

kyuzo
10-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Just beside the VPR options. I can't find it in the manual, or anywhere on this forum.
What does it do?

Cheers!

ernpchan
10-23-2015, 07:51 AM
I believe it saves the VPR render to disk.

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 08:42 AM
I'm interested in what search terms you used in looking for it.

This is meta-documentation: the documentation itself should be easy to use. (That means a ton of keywords.)

++++++++++
Searching on "VPR options", after 3 hits I got to page 2157, which contains the info you need (and more).

(LW 2015.3 pdf.)

kyuzo
10-23-2015, 08:57 AM
jeric - Yeah I'd have thought so.. :)

I searched this forum for "camera icon" and the main thread that came up was the tips and tricks thread. I scanned through all 16 pages but couldn't find an answer.
I also searched the PDF manual, and 'No matches were found'. I also read through the introduction chapters to using LW, and every button on the viewport bar is covered except that camera one.
Thanks to ernpchan's suggestion, I have found the save VPR pic (the floppy disc one) right at the back of the manual. I was looking at the front of the manual where the usual familiarise yourself with the layout section is/was.

And thanks ernpchan - the floppy disc button does indeed save the VPR pic to disc. I still can't see what the 'camera' button does though!

Still puzzled. Must be a bit thick...

:)

omichon
10-23-2015, 09:18 AM
This icon defines the active view for preview.

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 09:20 AM
And this demonstrates the need for moderated, crowd-enhanced documentation.

stiff paper
10-23-2015, 09:47 AM
The "old" modo online documentation used to have user notes, I'd think with the exact same idea that people would add detail and clarification for anything that had been missed in the official docs. It's a nice idea. It is. However. Fouxology has gotten rid of the user added notes in the newest modo docs because nobody ever added anything. And I mean nobody. I never saw a single user note in the old online help*.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but I am saying that maybe it's work and maybe there have been examples that suggest it's effort better spent elsewhere.

Or not. Maybe.

* And modo's help was/maybe still is pretty terrible compared to the LW manual. The LW manual is one of the unsung glories of LW.

kyuzo
10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Searching on "VPR options", after 3 hits I got to page 2157, which contains the info you need (and more).(LW 2015.3 pdf.)

See, I said it was next to the VPR options, but I had no idea it had anything to do with VPR. I thought it was to do with setting your viewport to your camera view or something.

And where are you searching? Page 2157 of my manual (opened by pressing F1 in Modeler) is about Vector scalar nodes.
Also, my PDF reader must just be total pants, because when I search for "VPR options" I get 'No matches found' for that either...

In the VPR section of the manual, the only possible reference to the 'camera icon button' is the line that says...

"The render settings for VPR are located in the top-right section of each viewport. Look for the highlighted button."

- Is THAT referring to the little camera button? 'Cos right after that, it goes right into explaining the VPR options button. If so, then call me old fashioned, but that's a pretty cryptic reference...

Cheers

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 10:40 AM
My bad: i got it in my head you were referring to the little "floppy disk" icon. TMK, those 3 icons are all related to VPR operations.

The page I was referring to has the headline "Alpha Channel Support for VPR". My PDF version may be lagging a bit. If the cover of your PDF doesn't say "Update 2" I'm looking at a different file. Oy.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-23-2015, 10:56 AM
I am stumped as well. What does that little camera icon/button do? 2015 supports multiple VPR viewports so not sure what if anything it is doing...

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Maybe that's the vuport that gets saved? #aflw

djwaterman
10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
This icon defines the active view for preview.

How? Are you sure? It doesn't seem to do anything.

ernpchan
10-23-2015, 11:56 AM
I guess I got my buttons confused. Not sure what it does. Maybe it lets you take a selfie.

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Mine are always just the top of my head as I weep into the keyboard....

omichon
10-23-2015, 12:12 PM
How? Are you sure? It doesn't seem to do anything.

Well, that is the way I understand and use it.
Activate the Camera icon on one of your viewports, then make a preview.
The funny thing is that it also works with the Schematic View. How useful is that ? :D

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
The funny thing is that it also works with the Schematic View. How useful is that ? :D
Do NOT feed the rumor mill!!! PLEASE! :grumpy:

omichon
10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Do NOT feed the rumor mill!!! PLEASE! :grumpy:

Sorry Jeric, but I don't understand most of your posts. :stumped:

Chris S. (Fez)
10-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Well, that is the way I understand and use it.

Ahhhhh. Designates the viewport to create animated previews. No time to check right now but that make sense if that is indeed what it does. Thanks!

omichon
10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Ahhhhh. Designates the viewport to create animated previews. No time to check right now but that make sense if that is indeed what it does. Thanks!

That's it. Sorry if my previous description wasn't clear enough.

JoePoe
10-23-2015, 01:17 PM
What an odd little, kinda silly, use of screen real estate right?
I'm mean if you hit Make Preview there's a viewport selection drop down right there anyway.
Is it really any easier to click a little box outside a dialog box call up a dialog box anyway just to ignore what's there?

bazsa73
10-23-2015, 01:24 PM
I can click on it.

omichon
10-23-2015, 01:24 PM
What an odd little, kinda silly, use of screen real estate right?
I'm mean if you hit Make Preview there's a viewport selection drop down right there anyway.
Is it really any easier to click a little box outside a dialog box call up a dialog box anyway just to ignore what's there?

Well, it is not the same thing. The icon defines which viewport to use for the preview. The dropdowm menu let you change the view type, not the viewport.

JoePoe
10-23-2015, 02:10 PM
I meant this drop down... which ALSO defines which viewport to use for the preview :hey:. Not the one that changes the viewport itself :).

omichon
10-23-2015, 02:19 PM
I meant this drop down... which ALSO defines which viewport to use for the preview :hey:. Not the one that changes the viewport itself :).

Here (on Win7), this drop down menu doesn't allow me to assign the preview to a different viewport. The preview will be displayed on the one with the Camera Icon activated.
It just allow me to change the original view type to a different one.

jeric_synergy
10-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Sorry Jeric, but I don't understand most of your posts. :stumped:
I'm just making fun of the "blog" thread, where any tiniest (percieved) hint gets blown up into 999+ posts of speculation. :hey:

kyuzo
10-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Well, it is not the same thing. The icon defines which viewport to use for the preview. The dropdowm menu let you change the view type, not the viewport.

Thank you!

Reassuring to know that the button't purpose wasn't immediately clear to a few others too.

kyuzo
10-26-2015, 05:37 AM
My bad: i got it in my head you were referring to the little "floppy disk" icon. TMK, those 3 icons are all related to VPR operations.

- No problem. Thanks for trying to help.

The page I was referring to has the headline "Alpha Channel Support for VPR". My PDF version may be lagging a bit. If the cover of your PDF doesn't say "Update 2" I'm looking at a different file. Oy.

Ahhh.. My manual is for update 3.

Cheers

omichon
10-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Thank you!

Reassuring to know that the button't purpose wasn't immediately clear to a few others too.
You're welcome.
The Camera symbol is probably not the most appropriate, but this is a quite common issue with icons in interfaces design. That said, it should be better documented or easier to find.

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 10:43 AM
You're welcome.
The Camera symbol is probably not the more appropriate, but this is a quite common issue with icons in interfaces design. That said, it should be better documented or easier to find.
Somewhere there may be an illustration with callouts for all the viewport icons, --I'd put that under "Viewport navigation".

omichon
10-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Somewhere there may be an illustration with callouts for all the viewport icons, --I'd put that under "Viewport navigation".

The Camera icon doesn't appear on any screenshots in the manual (update 3), section "Introduction to Layout" :\