PDA

View Full Version : Creating a scene with a tv...lighting question

fineartist
10-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Hi gang,

I am making a scene with someone setting in front of a tv (camera would be behind the television0. How would I set up a video playing from the tv screen and the light from the screen show on the person setting in front of them. Of course the light flicker is what I am most interested in to convey them watching some sort of action on the screen ( like a hockey game )

Any suggestions, as usual are always appreciated

Thanks

djwaterman
10-21-2015, 11:17 PM
One way is to have several lights, all quite close to each other, and each one a slight variable of the other, so none are alike, even colors can be different. Then animate them on an off at different rates, so that when one is off, another is on. This will give the effect of a changing image light source, and the shadows created will also slightly change position, enhancing the effect. But first you must just place one light, and get that looking right with the settings so that you can then clone it several times.

I'd suggest a DP flood light, so you can adjust the shadow softness.

Obviously these lights are in the television facing back into the room, and I take it we never see the reverse angle on that, if so that would be a different set up for that shot anyway.

jeric_synergy
10-22-2015, 12:30 AM
How would I set up a video playing from the tv screen and the light from the screen show on the person setting in front of them. Of course the light flicker is what I am most interested in to convey them watching some sort of action on the screen ( like a hockey game )
Fun.

(besides what DJ said...) If you map an image stream onto the front of the TV, and crank up the luminosity to a very high number (like 1,000%) with GI on you should see something like what you want.

However, that'll most likely be very render intensive.

You can also PROJECT images/image-streams thru spotlights, so you can do the same kind of thing with a spotlight. In this case you'd probably blur the hell out of the image stream before projecting it.

All in all, fakery is probably totally convincing, but it's good to be reminded of this odd little feature.

Danner
10-22-2015, 01:23 AM
There was a tutorial for this effect somewhere..

fineartist
10-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks gang. Danner, i thought there was a tutorial also, but can't find it anywhere. I will give Dj and Jeric's ideas a try, sounds like it will be what I need.

Thanks everyone :)

Danner
10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Finally had some time to look for it. This is an old clunky technique but the results are nice.

http://www.altyna.com/lw/specrefl.htm