PDA

View Full Version : New to Lightwave

jimmymac
10-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Hi Everyone:

I'm new to the thread and am still learning Lightwave 2015. I came from Caligari and 3DSmax6. I recently upgraded the whole computer and now have Windows 8.1.

I don't have a question yet, but I do have something I found out.

When I first got Lightwave, Layout and modeler would not switch over. I searched online and talked to Support; unfortunately, I still couldn't get the two to switch. I found out later that my ASUS computer has a gaming program called ROP Gamesfirst III. It worked in the background. I turned it off, and now the Layout and Modeler switch over with no problem.

So, if anyone has the same problem, and they have an ASUS, and they tried the firewalls and reinstall fixes then I hope this helps.

Take care;

Jim

ernpchan
10-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this info.

jeric_synergy
10-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Yikes! Thanks for that info-- soooooooo weird. GREAT tip, great because "totally obscure". :thumbsup:

If there's a central repository for advice about switching back and forth -- I'm assuming you mean the "F12" switch-- without the Hub, I'd be very happy to read it.

madno
10-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Good hint,

could be that the tcp ports which LW components want to use to communicate with each other, are blocked by the other software.

jeric_synergy
10-22-2015, 12:04 AM
Good hint,
could be that the tcp ports which LW components want to use to communicate with each other, are blocked by the other software.
How does one determine which ports those are?

madno
10-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Not sure what your question means.
But in general:
Communication between processes takes place using a port and an IP address.
E.g. in my example Layout.exe is listening on all IPs (0.0.0.0 means any available IP address - if I would have more than one network interface this would be relevant, but I only use one network interface so in reality it is listening on one IP address only). And Layout.exe is listening for messages coming in through port 19743. As far as I know you can't configure the port the LW exes are using. I don't know how they programmed it. Maybe the port is hard coded. That means, the exes always want to use the same port. If another software which started before the LW exe already registered this port, then LW can't use it. This then means LW is not able to receive messages.

Edit:
There are port numbers which are reserved. That means they are officially bound to a specific usage (but not software). E.g. port 21 is officially defined as the port to establish an ftp communication.
Other ports are totally free. The 19743 of my example is such a port. Any software maker can use it (well, technically even the reserved ports like 21 can be used by anybody, but because those are "well known" ports, nobody would do that, if he does not intend to make an ftp software).

More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers#Well-known_ports

Farhad_azer
10-22-2015, 07:16 AM
I don't have this problem and just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful community.

Hope to see your results and participation to discussions real soon Jim.

jimmymac
10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone:

Thanks for the welcome.

As for switching back and forth: nothing worked - the switch, the hub, yelling at it - nothing worked. Modeler would just wait its turn in the background until Layout was closed and vice versa. I started in safe mode, and then I could bring up both at the same time. I could switch about using everything LW gave me.

I found out later through elimination that ROG Gamesfirst III was causing the no switch issue.

I looked into the ROG program and it seems to be a networking program for setting file priorities so online gaming doesn't slow down when background processes decide to run. That's the gist of it. So what I can see is that ROG was doing its job, and it may have treated Layout and Modeler as games. So while one was open, the ROG program put the other on the backburner until the first one was closed then "POOF" the next one comes up.

So, thanks for the welcome, and glad that I could contribute. It's like going to a party; I just can't show up empty handed.
Have a good one.

jeric_synergy
10-22-2015, 05:57 PM
(Windows installations):
Since this thread is on this topic: has anyone had issue w/"switching" if their installation is NOT on the C: drive?

spherical
10-22-2015, 07:52 PM
(Windows installations):
Since this thread is on this topic: has anyone had issue w/"switching" if their installation is NOT on the C: drive?

Not here, ever.