PDA

View Full Version : Datalink Seperate from Livetext?

GThomas
10-20-2015, 09:13 PM
We are looking to use a Daktronics All Sport CG Controller to get scoreboard data into Livetext and LT Scoreboards. With the scoreboard controller being several hundred feet away from the Livetext machine, I am wondering if it is possible to plug the All Sport CG into 1 laptop running Datalink, and then have the Livetext computer connected to the Datalink machine over the WIFI network? If not, what is the best way to plug the controller into the laptop when it is several hundred feet away? We do not want to use the wireless version of the All Sport CG, by the way.

kltv
10-20-2015, 09:35 PM
If you are running a distance farther (or too inconvenient) to run over serial directly, I would try to run the serial over IP. There isn't really a way to transfer the data from computer to computer. I'd look into either a wired or wireless option to do that. Basically it works by sending your serial control data back and forth as IP traffic. It looks to the devices like they are directly connected, so everything works normally to them. I have used wired products from Moxa to do this from camera control over long-distance networks. They do have wireless options, but I haven't used them personally.

http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_W2150A_W2250A.htm

Kris

kltv
10-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Also... just so you know. You can run pretty far with that serial data cable. I've got a 500' 1/4" cable that I use all the time for that data link to my LiveText computer from the in-house scoreboard.

Kris

imryh
10-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Hi Gabe.

Daktronics does sell current loop (data) to fiber converters. That would allow you to connect a short 1/4" to 1/4" cable from the All Sport 5000 to the fiber converter, then run SM or MM fiber to your LiveText location, and then run a 1/4" to DB9 cable from the second converter to the All-Sport CG. Each converter costs about $600. We use them to send our data feed 2500 ft. away.

But I agree with Kris about first trying out just a long 1/4" cable. The current loop out of the All Sport 5000 can run quite the distance without too much problem.

Thanks.

Imry

GThomas
10-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Imry-

May I ask where you get your fiber reels from? We would be constantly setting up and tearing this down, so we need something somewhat durable (and students will be working with it :-).

Thanks

Gabe

imryh
10-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi Gabe.

I worked with a rep from Markertek (http://www.markertek.com) and got custom-length tactical SM fibers on reels.
We have students using them as well, and they've held up so far with set up and break down in all sorts of weather.

Imry

GThomas
11-15-2015, 12:39 PM
We only use LiveText for our scoreboard. Would it make sense to just put the LiveText laptop right next to the scoreboard, hook it up with the Daktronics controller, and then just hook it up to the network (via ethernet or WIFI)? Then, obviously, we would take it in via a NET input.

imryh
11-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Sure. That should work, as long as the TC and LT are on the same subnet.