PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a better editor software

rednova
10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Hi:

I am using lightwave 9.6 on athlon 1.6 ghz 1 gig ram.
I have original legit premiere 7 on the system.
I tried premiere for the first time yesterday to edit some avi animations,
basically to join them together. I could not get the results I wanted.
What Is the best, easiest editor available for my system ?
Thank you !!!

Snosrap
10-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I use and like the Vegas family of NLE's. I started with their cheap consumer version and eventually got Vegas Pro. They have free trials so give them a whirl. I use Premiere at work and really am not a big fan more so because it's playback performance is lacking. Vegas is always real time, even on my clunky hardware.

Dexter2999
10-20-2015, 07:30 PM
You CAN edit AVI, but I still recommend using image sequences. There are better editing packages available, but newer software will most likely assume you have a faster/beefy-er system.

I strongly urge you to re-examine your workflow. At least try rendering out to image sequences then import the image sequences as clips in Premiere and see if you have better luck.

sukardi
10-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Vegas Pro all the way for me. I have tried Premiere Pro repeatedly, especially to take advantage of dynamic link with AE but it simply does not let me edit the way Vegas does - very,very intuitive. I still use After Effects for heavy duty compositing and color grading though ...

blindsided
10-21-2015, 05:45 AM
Lightworks Free might do what you need
https://www.lwks.com/
Or DAVINCI RESOLVE has edit capabilities.

Currently on Premiere2014 having moved from FCP7, I find Premiere 2015 to be very unstable, but 2014 has been OK for me.

raymondtrace
10-21-2015, 07:45 AM
...I could not get the results I wanted.

This is too vague to suggest the "best, easiest editor".

What results did you want?

I agree with Dexter2999 that editing image sequences from LW, not from video, is ideal. If you must render to video from LW, use uncompressed video and pray to a few different deities that your render does not break mid-way.

Amurrell
10-22-2015, 02:51 PM
HitFilm has a free version as well.

Red_Oddity
10-22-2015, 03:36 PM
So is Resolve, and while you're at it, grab Fusion as well.

rednova
10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I imported 2 avi animations (which I rendered in lw) into premiere 7,
was able to join them into one avi, but the result avi has horrible flickering
with bad spots, and is no good.

- - - Updated - - -

I think is possible, if instead of 2 avi's I render single image sequences,
that then premiere can join them into a good avi animation.

Marander
10-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Hi:

I am using lightwave 9.6 on athlon 1.6 ghz 1 gig ram.

Wow if you would have lived close by I would have brought you a new computer.

Seriosly forget resolve and fusion on this hardware. Both rely on modern cpu and gpu capabilities and fusion is best used with 24 to 32 gb ram from my experience.

Edit: I would give Lightworks a try. Very annoying with it is the 7 day activation cycle for even the free version and I didn't find it intuitive at all. Resolve is way better. Of course I would try if it works but I would expect a CUDA error message if your graphic card is from the same millennium as the pc.

raymondtrace
10-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Whoa... I totally skimmed over the system specs. The video flicker is likely due to deficient hardware, not software. Even Lightworks recommends a minimum of 3 gb RAM.

This topic still lacks a lot of information. Is the flicker happening on 320x240 pixel video or 1080p? What makes you think the choice of video editor affects the amount of flicker and bad spots?

rednova
10-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi:
I made a mistake. I do have lw 9.6 but for this project I used lw 5.0
I used 2x video with square pixels and mpeg 4.
The avi files look killer, but did not join well in premiere.

ernpchan
10-24-2015, 11:29 AM
What codecs are you using?

rednova
10-25-2015, 06:14 AM
I used mpeg 4 codec.

raymondtrace
10-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Your original, ambiguous question is as absurd as saying "my fuel gauge says I'm out of gas, what's the best, easiest car for me to drive?"

The issue is not likely due to the choice of video editor. If you sincerely want to address the issue, you'll need to better explain what the problem is (maybe post example on YouTube) and explain what steps you have taken to troubleshoot.

The trickle of information is silly.

Sensei
10-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Have you tried VirtualDub? Perhaps it will run on such ancient system. I used it on WinXP with 3 GB ram.

art
11-16-2015, 09:02 PM
I just installed DaVinci Resolve because I wanted to edit some family footage from my camera(s) and phone. To my surprise it barely loads any of my files, particularly it "hates" mp4. Unfortunately that's what I get from my cameras. MTS files load ok. Any experiences? I really want to give it a try.What should I do:
#1 get a shareware version of Barney's hack'N'cut family movie editor and leave the Resolve to the "pros"
#2 try to convert mp4 to something that Resolve might like. Lots of software comes up in search, I guess many people have the same problem. Some of the software seems questionable. Suggestions?
#3 Reinstall SpeedEdit (I own V1.0)
#4 HitFilm Express