PDA

View Full Version : Instancing on instanced object

Fotofashion
10-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Hi there :)

I'm trying to add some moss etc on stones that is instanced.
The stones are instanced trough the ground object, using surface instancing.

The stone has itself some instancing, wich is showing on the main object, But not on the instanced objects. Can not find out how to to get this to work, and hope I don't need to clone the stones trough the scene :).

pinkmouse
10-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Sorry, but you can't instance instances, it just doesn't work. Though, hopefully, that might change in 2016? :)

Fotofashion
10-20-2015, 08:15 AM
damn.. ok, just starting cloning objects then :P

Farhad_azer
10-20-2015, 09:09 AM
What about baking instances first and then instancing again? I am not sure and just asking.

Fotofashion
10-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Not sure how to bake instances :/

hrgiger
10-20-2015, 09:39 AM
I find 20 minutes at 425 degrees or until golden brown.

Actually I was just going to ask the same question about instancing instances when I saw thIs thread

Greenlaw
10-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Placement (http://hurleyworks.com/advanced-placement/) allows instancing on instances. It's a commercial tool for LightWave and if you do a lot of instancing, it's well worth the price.

G.

MSherak
10-20-2015, 11:00 AM
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html

Can instance instances so long as they are instanced with this plugin. (twist the tongue a little)

Greenlaw
10-20-2015, 11:39 AM
For instance... :p

Farhad_azer
10-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Item Menu, underneath Add and inside of clone there is python bake instance, I have difficulty using it as it always increase amount of results but you might be able to find sth. plz let me know if you can do it.

Greenlaw
10-21-2015, 08:55 AM
You really should look into Advanced Placement or DP Instance for this. By baking your instances to actual geometry, you're losing the benefit of using instances. For example, if you convert a lot of complex instances, your computer might not have the RAM available to manage them all, let alone render them.

Obviously, there are times when baking is necessary. Just be aware of what the process does to your scene.

G.

Fotofashion
10-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Tryed dp instance, nice tool but cant make it do what I want.

this is what I have tryed.

layer 1 ground. dp instancer. set to instance the stones, layer 2. works nice.
layer 1, ground dp instancer. set to instance some grass, works nice. on the ground. Then enable node tree, in node tree. I have set
Boolean from dp kit. Target object layer 2.
line from alpha to mask1 in the instancer distribution box,
position to position on dp instancer.

Greenlaw
10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Obviously, there are times when baking is necessary. Just be aware of what the process does to your scene.
Coincidentally, I had to do exactly this at work today.

I was using Instancer on a point cloud emitter with about 700 instances facing a null in the air above the emitter. The problem was that I need the instances to be affected by a vortex wind force but Bullet doesn't know what to do with a point cloud. Enter instance baking!

Some tips:

Be sure to check out Dodgy's Bake Selected Instances and Save Transformed scripts because...
Dodgy's Bake script is much faster than the native one.
To use it, you need to select the emitter object, not the source object like the native tool requires. Quite conveniently, Dodgy's tool will parent all the baked instance under the emitter making it super easy to select and export the objects. Speaking of which...
Use his Save Transformed tool to export the baked instances. Dodgy's tool lets you select multiple objects to export at once. The files are saved individually but there is a second script in the package that lets Modeler import all the objects into a single object file. Using the Layers window, click on the checkmark to select all layers, and then cut and paste them into a single layer. Now you're instances are ready for Parts animation using Bullet.
Before using Dodgy's Save Transformed or even the native Save Transformed, be sure to set the source objects to Subdivision Level 0. Otherwise, the tool will export a highly subdivided version of the instances, which can slow down Bullet significantly.

Dodgy's tools can be found here: http://www.mikegreen.name/

Hope this info is helpful.

G.