PDA

View Full Version : Restricting newly generated points from joining Selection Sets?

jeric_synergy
10-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Make a ball.
Make a point selection set.
Subdivide the ball.

The new points generated by Subdivide join the Selection Set previously made.

This is sub-optimal (if I'm correct): I'd like to be able to re-select just the original, perhaps.

Can this be done?

lertola2
10-19-2015, 09:17 PM
If you are subdividing with the faceted or smooth option you could first copy your points to a new layer, give them a selection set and then merge them with the object after you subdivide. But if you do metaform subdividing every point is new so in that case you don't have any original points to select.

jeric_synergy
10-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the work around.

Of course, the one I really want it for is metaform. Of course. :bangwall:

Should I make a feature request?

hcoat
10-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Should I make a feature request?

Yes, this is an annoyance.

Although, I have found if you load or make your selection right before subdividing, when you switch back to point mode the original points are still selected even with metaform.
Then you can save a new selection set that contains only those original points.

Ma3rk
10-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Make a ball.
Make a point selection set.
Subdivide the ball.

The new points generated by Subdivide join the Selection Set previously made.

This is sub-optimal (if I'm correct): I'd like to be able to re-select just the original, perhaps.

Can this be done?

It might be a minor extra step annoyance, but simply drop your selection after making the selection set.

Sub-D the ball, bring up the stats box and select your point set there. Works on this end anyway.

M.

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 12:07 AM
It might be a minor extra step annoyance, but simply drop your selection after making the selection set.
Sub-D the ball, bring up the stats box and select your point set there. Works on this end anyway.
M.
??? I'm not sure you caught the point, or I'm misunderstanding you: I'm talking about a bothersome selection that I don't want to re-do because of complexity/labor/whatever. So, I make a Selection Set, but it doesn't matter because after the subdivision, there's no differentiation between the old and new points. That is, there's a bunch of NEW points that I don't want in the set, in the set.

hcoat's suggestion of NOT dropping the point selection works ( :hattip: to hcoat ), even with (attention lertola!) the Metaform option. INTERESTING corollary: say I've selected 43 points and made a Selection Set: after subdivision, the point count listed in the stats window for that Set will have gone up, and only 43 points will still be selected, even using Metaform. So, that's the time to make the "Old Points" Selection Set. If you lose the Selection at that point, yer screwed.

Since SUBDIVISION requires a dialog anyway, I think it would be worthwhile to include a checkbox: " [_] New points don't get added to Selection Sets" --or something more concise. That might save some hair tearing.

A very educational thread! Thank you all. :bowdown:

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Here's how I phrased the Feature Request:

Excluding newly generated points from existing Selection Sets

(I'm going to focus on SUBDIVIDE, but this would be true of any tool that generates new points in a like manner: )

When using SUBDIVIDE, newly generated points are added to existing Selection Sets. I think it would add to Modeler's flexibility to allow users to prevent this from occurring, and thus PRESERVING the unique identity of their original Selection Set.

Since SUBDIVIDE requires a dialog anyway, I suggest adding a checkbox like so:

[_] New points don't get added to Selection Sets

(for other tools, such a checkbox would appear in the Numeric Panel.)

lertola2
10-20-2015, 09:15 AM
hcoat's suggestion of NOT dropping the point selection works ( :hattip: to hcoat ), even with (attention lertola!) the Metaform option.

Thanks. Yes I learned something new.

Since SUBDIVISION requires a dialog anyway, I think it would be worthwhile to include a checkbox: " [_] New points don't get added to Selection Sets" --or something more concise. That might save some hair tearing.

This would be best since sometimes you might want the current behavior. But I doubt that Newtek will take action on feature requests like this since the subdivide option has been working in modeler for many years. They would not want to risk introducing new bugs by changing its code at this point.

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 09:20 AM
LW3dG doesn't take action on MOST of my feature requests, despite the requests' obvious genius!

Still, I like to point the way to a more consistent, flexible user experience. It's the cross I bear.