PDA

View Full Version : Vectors from LightWave

Philbert
10-18-2015, 06:07 AM
I have a fun t-shirt design that I made in LW and rendered with celshading the problem is that the printer need less than 10 colors so even a celshade render has way more due to anti-aliasing. Anyone have ideas for converting to vectors without manually tracing it with the Pen tool in Photoshop (I don't have Illustrator)?

ernpchan
10-18-2015, 07:13 AM
I've used this in the past.
http://vectormagic.com/home

You should try it with a render without antialiasing.

Philbert
10-18-2015, 02:32 PM
That worked perfectly, thank you. Not cheap though if I want to use it more than once more.

My holiday shirt is now up for sale!
https://teespring.com/jingle_it

Sensei
10-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Logic node plugged output to Diffuse Shading? This way there will be just two colors..

Philbert
10-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Well if you look at the finished product there are more than 2 colors. It actuality had 9.

Sensei
10-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Well if you look at the finished product there are more than 2 colors. It actuality had 9.

You can't turn on Adaptive Sampling, or obviously smooth transition is created by renderer:

But after turning it off, there are just two colors:

Philbert
10-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Oh you meant 2 for the transition, instead of having antialiasing to smooth it. I think vector format works best anyway, that's what they suggest on the site. Thanks though.

Ma3rk
10-19-2015, 11:43 PM
I have a fun t-shirt design that I made in LW and rendered with celshading the problem is that the printer need less than 10 colors so even a celshade render has way more due to anti-aliasing. Anyone have ideas for converting to vectors without manually tracing it with the Pen tool in Photoshop (I don't have Illustrator)?

Besides being able to bang out a bitmap to vector conversion quickly, you might consider putting Illustrator on your "I should really explore this more" list, particularly if your working with After Effects too. I think non CC versions are still findable.

Philbert
10-20-2015, 12:02 AM
I just don't have enough use for Illustrator to make it worth purchasing and I don't use After Effects any more either. I do all my editing / compositing in Hit Film and for the very rare times when I need vectors I have InkScape or Photoshop.

Dodgy
10-21-2015, 01:28 AM
The path trace function in Inkscape seems to work pretty well, after just playing with it for a bit...

Philbert
10-21-2015, 01:30 AM
Well I messed with it for a while and had pretty awful results. That Vector Magic link worked perfectly with a couple of clicks.