PDA

View Full Version : reoccuring 3D printing problems

Tim21
10-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

yesterday I tried to design this bird feeder but the design always ended up giving me errors, again.

This happens every time I stop doing more simple box modeling really. This time without using boolean though.
It looks good in modeler, but every time I try to print it, it tries to close down the hole in the middle :(

In attachment the lwo file.

ps: :bangwall:

m.d.
10-17-2015, 10:57 PM
tons of non manifold edges....easier to rebuild then to fix it (Probably have to drop this on the ground)

and you can see the issues right in modeler....all the weird edges drawing errors...
If you have the newer LW version's....run mesh repair (i think in the details tab) it will show you non manifold edges

cant have faces inside of what should be solid mass....have to just have an outer shell with those normals facing out.

Also, just from experience....keep a version of your printing models as quads before triangulating them....makes the mesh easier to deal with if there is issues, and to make changes

Tim21
10-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Thnx md, yeah that model is ready to be trown away anyway.

it was more another test to a little bit more mechanical approach, but something clearly went wrong.

:bangwall:

m.d.
10-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Thnx md, yeah that model is ready to be trown away anyway.

it was more another test to a little bit more mechanical approach, but something clearly went wrong.

:bangwall:

I had to learn the hard way too :)

Lots of cleaning up of meshes when 3D printing....

spherical
10-18-2015, 01:25 AM
What M.D. said... Check your Statistics panel for oddities like points on zero polys, one poly, two polys. Edges on one poly (can be legal if joining a hole to a perimeter) or on more than two polys. One-point polys, two-point polys. All of these will cause a slicer to not understand the model. You must be really strict in modeling. No shortcuts that "look good in a render".