PDA

View Full Version : 2015: Missing Search button in Configure Menus, Keys (SOLVED)

tburbage
10-17-2015, 10:34 AM
In case this baffles anybody else... I logged a bug that the "Search" button in those panels had gone missing in 2015. Pretty hard to do extensive configuration work without a Search, eh?

Well, I missed the fact that there is an input field above the left side/categories column with a disclosure triangle, under which are some new and useful options. It now works as a live filter, and includes options to flatten the search result (uncategorized), and whether to consider case.

Ben Vost, I think this rates a mention in the "New to 2015" section. For people who do a lot of custom configuration, that's a nice new feature!

I did not see reference to this is in the latest .pdf documentation (at least I didn't see it).

jeric_synergy
10-17-2015, 01:01 PM
The very welcome hierarchic Search function (thank you devs ::muttering:: finally::/muttering) could be better if:

When you launch either of the editors, it was automatically "hot", a blinking cursor in the field, rather than requiring the user to mouuuuuse ooovvvveerrrrr and click it. (Mice are dead slow.) There's zero downside to making the Search field hot, because anything else the user does in there requires a click anyway. So, it's pure productivity gain to have it ready to go.

There is a workaround: using AutoHotKey (AHK, free) you can intercept the *+F10 key, and have it 1)invoke the menu, and 2) maneuver the mouse to the Search field, 3) issue a click. Now the Search field is hot whenever you fire up the editor. This is what I do.

Since my main use of the Menu&Key editors (which could be combined) is to FIND things, Search is for me the PARAMOUNT function. In 11.6 I used AHK to auto-trigger the Search function, which was better than nothing, but not that much better. The new Search function is far superior since it displays multiple results immediately and is more forgiving of approximate search terms.

Even if it is technically in the dox, it should be easy to find. Everything should be easy to find, that's what dox are FOR. And the search box IS pretty stealthy, perhaps a label is in order, or the apparently standard magnifying glass icon.

Another topic is Search OUTSIDE of the M&K Editors.

Snosrap
10-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Yep- search is much better now, but the interface needs to be changed somewhat so it's more obvious. I missed it too when I first started 2015.

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 08:01 PM
I just fired up my Menu Editor, and AHK draws a big animated bullseye when it programmatically 'clicks', so, here, it's super conspicuous AND automatically ready to go. Makes me so happy.

While I think the field should be HOT when the panel is launched ( why not??? The ONLY typing you'll do at that point is SEARCH.) the standard minimum (and lame) thing to do is put a magnifying glass in the field or beside it. --The current toolkit might not allow bitmaps inside text fields, so outside is the bare minimum.

roctavian
10-25-2015, 06:04 AM
In case this baffles anybody else... I logged a bug that the "Search" button in those panels had gone missing in 2015. Pretty hard to do extensive configuration work without a Search, eh?

Well, I missed the fact that there is an input field above the left side/categories column with a disclosure triangle, under which are some new and useful options. It now works as a live filter, and includes options to flatten the search result (uncategorized), and whether to consider case.

Ben Vost, I think this rates a mention in the "New to 2015" section. For people who do a lot of custom configuration, that's a nice new feature!

I did not see reference to this is in the latest .pdf documentation (at least I didn't see it).

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this.
I was baffled seeing the search function was missing. :)

jeric_synergy
10-25-2015, 09:56 AM
It's a "design bug" -- apparently many can't find it.

"non-findability" is a type of bug.