PDA

View Full Version : lost scene file, does lw back up anywhere.

nnasr.rm
10-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Dear all,
I have been working on a shot for a week and by mistake the scene file has been deleted (long story, i replaced a folder, i didn't now that macs delete the whole folder instead of adding to it). I searched and searched and found something in the users/macuser/Library/Caches/Newtek/Lightwave/11.5/lwhub/0061_name.lwo,
these seems to be objects. does it save anywhere a temp of the scene file??
please somebody say yes !!

Andy Webb
10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Only if you have set it up to do so in the configs.

There should be a folder in your project folder called "Backup", open that and there should be dated folders saying modeller and layout,
if not then I'm afraid your stuck.

Is there no Mac undelete plugin that can recover deleted files on a hard drive?

ernpchan
10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately I don't think lws files get backed up through the Hub but I'd love to be wrong on this for your sake.

Danner
10-16-2015, 09:47 AM
I urge everyone to set the auto save on your preferences, it has saved me a ton of times. If you are using a network path for saving or working with very large files don't set it to 5 minutes, go for something longer, it hangs for a bit while saving large objects.

MSherak
10-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Dear all,
I have been working on a shot for a week and by mistake the scene file has been deleted (long story, i replaced a folder, i didn't now that macs delete the whole folder instead of adding to it). I searched and searched and found something in the users/macuser/Library/Caches/Newtek/Lightwave/11.5/lwhub/0061_name.lwo,
these seems to be objects. does it save anywhere a temp of the scene file??
please somebody say yes !!

Under the General options tab is the settings for autosaving. This autosaving is a placed in a backup folder of your current content or selected backup location. It does not write over your current loaded items. There is no reason not to have it on unless you are super low on disc space.

-M

nnasr.rm
10-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Under the General options tab is the settings for autosaving. This autosaving is a placed in a backup folder of your current content or selected backup location. It does not write over your current loaded items. There is no reason not to have it on unless you are super low on disc space.

-M

You are right I didn't know auto saving works like this. I thought it over rights my scene file.
But oh man I have to animate 3 commercials again. In one of them I animated a bucket of ice cubes!! And each ice cube on its own :((((((((((((

jeric_synergy
10-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Be sure to research Mac recovery options, there may be something you can do.

Also, be more paranoid.

spherical
10-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Also, be more paranoid.

Really.... I know it doesn't help the current situation, but we've all learned this lesson at one time or another; some of us more than once. :) After I have worked on a complex model or scene for some protracted amount of time, I think about how bad it would be to lose all of that data. Three copies are made, including all assets: one of each individual asset in the working content respective directories, one of the entire content directory tree on another drive and another of that on a different machine. I like to sleep at night.... when I'm not pulling an all-nighter. :D

Marander
10-17-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry for you (possible) loss nnasr.rm.

You should always have at least 2-3 current backups of your data. Your hard drive can have a head crash and die at any time and there are many other possible reasons for data loss. I have my local data synched daily on NAS and regularly backed up on encrypted external disks kept in different locations + some optical backups.

When you deleted something it's most important to not write other data to the disk in order to restore it. Even if the missing file is not listed in the TOC (table of contents), it is still on the disk if it was not deleted with an eraser program. Since you replaced the directory that might be a problem. Another issue is that most recovery programs don't know the LWS file header and therefore don't see the files to restore.

Are you not using time machine?

Maybe this could help:
http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Accidentally-Deleted-Files-in-OS-X

Good luck,

Marander

erikals
10-17-2015, 04:32 PM
(long story, i replaced a folder, i didn't now that macs delete the whole folder instead of adding to it)

holy dang! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/aiwebs_001.gif

thanks for warning!

Scazzino
10-17-2015, 08:43 PM
If you just deleted the folder, without doing much else on the system that might overwrite the data it may still be recoverable using data recovery tools such as those listed in this article.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/3-data-recovery-applications-for-os-x/

For future work I'd suggest grabbing and attaching an external hard drive. The Mac will ask if you'd like to use that new external drive as a Time Machine backup drive. Click yes and then the Mac will automatically backup your drive to the external. The backups are done in such a way that you can then go back in time to recover such accidentally deleted files instantly. It's pretty cool actually. You can go back in time and see what any folder was like at that time and recover the state of the folder at that time if desired. That won't help you restore what you already lost but would help for any such future issues. It's saved my stuff many times and there's no easier backup solution.

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250