PDA

View Full Version : Save Edge Selection for UV Mapping with the ABF UV Unwrap Tool

adamgibson
10-16-2015, 04:05 AM
Hi All,

A feature that I would love to see would be "Save Edge Selection".

This is highly needed for intricate UV Mapping and in case you accidently deselect your edges. Which I have done plenty of times....lol

The PLG UV Map Plugin has this feature, but current Mac users are unable to install that plugin set as it has not been updated in many years.

I think a lot of modelers and texture artists would be very greatly for this small feature added.

Lightwave is great. I hope my contribution here will help make it greater.:)

All the best everyone,

Adam Gibson
www.learn3dsoftware.com

3dbr
10-16-2015, 07:35 AM
support, it makes sense

Kryslin
10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
As a workaround, you can save your edge selections as a selection set. You can then recall your selection set, and convert your point selection to an edge selection, then clean it up. Sensei has a 3rd party plugin to manage edge selection sets as well.

I do agree, however, that this should be a native feature, and not a work around or 3rd party tool.
(Would've saved my butt and a lot of time doing a character's UV mappings earlier this year...)

jeric_synergy
10-16-2015, 12:22 PM
I recently used (Point) Selection Sets to save an Edge Selection, and it was quite disappointing: there're just too many ambiguous situations. The simplest example is 2 edges of a quad: the point selection is ALL the points, so ALL the Edges will be 'Selected'.

If Sensei's solution is cost-effective, you might really be pleased to have gone that route. And +1 as a feature.

Sensei
10-17-2015, 01:13 AM
A feature that I would love to see would be "Save Edge Selection".

This is highly needed for intricate UV Mapping and in case you accidently deselect your edges. Which I have done plenty of times....lol

TrueArt's Modeling Pack
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
has tool Selection Preset Manager,
that allows remembering selected points, edges and polygons. And then restore.
Here you have video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZjSKGJxqE

I just tried it with ABF Unwrap and worked fine with it.