PDA

View Full Version : :) SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE 10/14: deadline=10/26: "Scary Toy Box"

caustics
10-13-2015, 06:17 PM
*** SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE ***

THEME: Scary Toy Box

DEADLINE: 10/26

STORY: A 'friend' of yours, called Sid Philips (yes that guy), borrows one of your favourite childhood toys to play with for a while. Sid has a problem: from time to time he gets a little nasty with toys ... performing a lot of strange experiments ... testing what effects several forces have on toys as do mechanical procedures, gravity, chemicals, electricity, combustion, nuclear fusion, and so on. Occasionally, after finishing his experiments, he doesn't manage to put the right parts together, things can really get mixed and messed up even with toys from others.

Then, after a week he finally returns your appreciated toy to you ... in a closed box!!!

;-) Your friend: 130327

TASK: Well, now we all want to know what is in that box that you received back!?!

HINTS: This is the perfect challenge to get back to that magnific tools LW has to offer for deforming and otherwise manipulating meshes in a more creative way. It doesn't has to be a single mesh. You may try things out BEFORE you start the modeling and time starts running. It's playtime ... Have fun, be colorful, be nasty!!

I don't want to scare you, but please have a sit before going to open that box.

BTW: Don't bother with the box itself just what is inside it ;-)

RULES: Totally evaporated toys and those for which only a Toy-DNA analysis may prove them to be toys don't qualify. Also totally desmembered toys don't qualify, at least some parts have to be connected. Connected in this context doesnt mean at vertex level but visually.

LIMITATIONS: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

CONDITIONS: Winning entries will include a 'final' render AND a wireframe render -- this is mandatory. Also appreciated is a post detailing any and all techniques, tools, plugins, and resources used in the generation of your image. Also, running times are nice. You may optionally upload your mesh and scene to share and/or allow other forum users to tweak.

Other threads detail how to get that cool "solid wireframe" render so often used or you might be able to take screen shots of the model in Modeler. Also if you're using LW 2015, it’s just a matter of checking a box in object settings. Otherwise, you have to use the polygon coloring plugin from here http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break it up as needed, but do keep track. Again, honor. If you run over, please submit your work anyway so we can see what 120+30 minutes of work looks like. (However, you cannot win if you go over. Time management is also a professional skill.)

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on scene composition, rigging, surfacing and rendering. Scene may contain additional properties not part of this challenge, but only the modeled subject will be considered then. You can do post work and composites on the final render as well, just let us know what you did and how much time it took you to do it.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!! So, have at it!

unstable
10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
I like it!! My mind is reeling with possibilities. Hehe

Ernest
10-14-2015, 01:07 AM
testing what effects several forces have on toys as do mechanical procedures, gravity, chemicals, electricity, combustion, nuclear fusion, and so on.

Not dark mystical forces?

caustics
10-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Yes of course ... principally dark mystical forces!

caustics
10-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Thought I should post some concept pictures to keep you guys going into this challenge.

130349 130350 130351 130352

Have fun.

pinkmouse
10-16-2015, 03:00 AM
I have a plan, just no time to do anything about it!

rifenbury
10-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Great challenge, caustics!

caustics
10-16-2015, 09:47 AM
You are welcome rifenbury, come in and show what's in your box.

pinkmouse
10-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Got to go to work, so surfacing a bit rushed. Model went right up to the time the limit as well! :)

caustics
10-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Well done Pinkmouse! Love it ... excellent idea.

Regards.

caustics
10-19-2015, 04:26 PM
just giving it a bump ... please guys don't let me down ;-)

caustics
10-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Some more concepts ...

130464 130465 130466 130467

Time is running out ... are there no modelers left on this forum?

Come on and engage guys ;-)

rifenbury
10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
For your consideration...

DISMEMBER ME ELMO

God only knows what terror this much-beloved character had to endure at the hands of the psychopathic Sid, but one thing is clear: Elmo will never be the same.

The modeling portion of this was relatively simple. Obviously the eyes and nose are slightly squashed spheres, and the head is just a slightly more deformed one. I used a reference just to make sure I was getting the head shape correct. I used Spikey Tool and Jitter on the neck to simulate protruding stuffing from when Elmo lost his poor head. The beaker was a Pen Tool then Lathe and the burner is a simple disc beveled many times, with some Knife and Band Saw Pro to tighten edges. FiberFX was used for the fur and actually came together much more quickly than I expected.

Modeling time was about 90 minutes; surfacing and rendering was about 3 hours total.

I did make a quick body to have sitting in the background to use up the last of the modeling time. However, once I got it into Layout and copied the FiberFX settings from the head to the body, it would crash LW during the render. As soon as I removed the body object from the scene it would again work just fine. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I figured I would save that for another day.

caustics
10-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Hi Elmo keep calm ... now you're in safe waters again ;-)

That's cute ... like the concept and the modeling. The fur came out very well. All in all an excellent contribution to this challenge.

Also great that you did find the time to point out the "making of" ... this is always great to share.

Tell me a thing: You're as new to LW as your join date suggests?

To the others: Be encouraged and keep the entries coming!!! Still enough time left.

rifenbury
10-22-2015, 03:33 PM
You're as new to LW as your join date suggests?

Thanks! And no, I've been using LW for a number of years and have stalked the forums some but never really participated. I just recently picked it up again after a bit of a hiatus so it's been nice having challenges to keep me busy and get back into gear.

caustics
10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Nice to hear you're on track now ... and hope you had some fun working on your entry.

caustics
10-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Hey, a little more than two days left ... weekend in front ... does anybody have anything better to do than do a little modeling and rendering in LW?

Take some beer and grab your mouse ;-)

Surrealist.
10-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Sorry I have literally been swamped with deadlines right now. And the last thing I wan to do when I take a break is more 3D... lol

caustics
10-24-2015, 03:54 AM
That's the part where the beer comes in ... Cheers! ;-)

Sorry I have literally been swamped with deadlines right now. And the last thing I wan to do when I take a break is more 3D... lol

Surrealist.
10-24-2015, 04:14 AM
I don't drink. ;)

But some days I probably should... lol

Slartibartfast
10-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Story:
Ok, that guy just took my refractor telescope and mounted it on a souvenir cannon cart. After a couple of test firings one of the wooden wheels broke and had to be replaced with the button from the Paddington teddy bear. The shaft going through the button is the only remaining match (without wires. sorry but it was on the same layer as the button and so if I turned on "other edges" it ruined the wires on the subd button). Of course the refractor half exploded after trying the way too big bowling ball...

About:
Background picture taken by me at "Fort Karlsborg". A small village nearby where I live - known to be Sweden's second capitol in case Stockholm were to be taken by the enemy. Modelling 65 min. Texturing and rendering about 45. Rendering time just a couple of secs with radiosity on :D. Model is a mes(s)h consisting of some parts subd and some regular hard polys.

Other:
Great challenge topic! It's open for imagination and pretty much anything could be modelled. Unfortunately that makes lazy people like me take the easy way...

Cheers, and come on guys'ngals! Let this speed modelling contest survive by posting your entries. Don't be shy now ;-)

caustics
10-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi! ... yes that Sid guy got really crazy over there. I am sad about your refractor telescope ... but at least you got it back ... but the focal length got a bit compromised as it seems ;-)

You had still 60min left for ... modeling stuff the limit is 120min overall modeling time. No need to rush thru ;-)

Thanks for posting.

Slartibartfast
10-25-2015, 01:47 AM
Hi!
You had still 60min left for ... modeling stuff the limit is 120min overall modeling time. No need to rush thru ;-)

Thanks for posting.

Yes thanks, but I was short on real life minutes and thought I'd post something rather than nothing ;)

unstable
10-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Well, Sid just didn't have much time to throw another toy together. He worked 10 minutes here and there throughout the week. The result is about 2 hours time of modeling when I stopped (before assembly). It could have been more or it could have been less. But it definitely took more time to tweak and assemble. And on top of that, the modeling isn't really done. So I'm saying I went over the time limit because I really just lost track of how long it took me and the modeling is not done.

But here is how I did what you see. The spring and suction cup were fast. For the spring, create a helix for the spline and rail extrude a square reducing number of segments to keep poly count down. Modify a capsule for the minion to get the mouth, which is too high and not quite right. The eye band was easy. I beveled up an eight sided disc and then extruded a side about 32 times. Then I used bend on the band only, cut it off near the ring and used bridge to connect it. The wings were rather fast. Extrude a box, taper an end and attach a capsule. Select the polys you want and use thicken for the base of the wing capsule for the raised portion. Dino legs are an extruded disc and since I'm terrible at organics I was going to melt it so it had a reason to look bad. :D But I never got the chance so they are just bad modeling. LOL. The only reason I posted this was so you could see that I gave it a go. Wish I'd had more time in one setting.

pinkmouse
10-26-2015, 06:17 PM
They have a strange charm!

unstable
10-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Hey, where did our judge go. I'd like to know who won and what the next challenge is.

caustix
10-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Hi Guys sorry for missing the deadline. Mt account hot screwed up and I am trying to recover it. I am now on my iPhone ... When back @ home I'll finísh this thread and give the proper announcement.

Feeling really sorry about that inconvenience.

Regards.

caustix
10-28-2015, 03:36 PM
I am posting this under a new account as former caustics because the original account got screwed up after a system update.

This can only be Sid’s work. I knew that he’s a nasty guy but confess I underestimated his evilness.

First things first and I want to announce the "Scary Toy Box" has been officially closed now.

Of course the most important thing to do is to thank all the contributors for their efforts, namely pinkmouse, rifenbury, Slartibartfast and unstable. All non-contributors I want encourage to engage in other opportunities.

There were not as much entries as expected but those which were submitted did all match the goal of the contest which was to produce something unconventional and encourage the exploration of modeler tools which normally won’t take part of a more technical workflow.

To perform an objective judgement of the submissions, I followed a 1 to 3 point system for the following categories: Modeling, Originality, Expression, Render.

And the winner is: rifenbury

Here is the ranking:

Modeling Originality Expression Render
pinkmouse 2 2 2 3 9
rifenbury 2 3 3 2 10
Slartibartfast 2 2 2 1 7
unstable(*) 3 3 3 2 11

(*) not qualified due to time limit

Once more my sincere apologies for the final disaster due to my account problems.

Have fun using LW!!!

pinkmouse
10-28-2015, 03:39 PM
How do we know it's you? :D

caustix
10-28-2015, 03:50 PM
hahaha ... do you know that situations that seem that everything is acting against you and makes your efforts void ;-)

That's what I passed thru since the last weekend.

Even the printer did quit service unexpectedly ... what a mess!!!

How do we know it's you? :D

pinkmouse
10-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Okay, I'll believe you. For now...

Well done Rif! :thumbsup:

rifenbury
10-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I'll set up the next one and link to it when it's up!

unstable
10-28-2015, 05:18 PM
It was an excellent challenge caustics or caustix if that who you really are.:stumped: Too bad more didn't participate, but its hard to squeeze in the time sometimes.

Congrats rif, very good job! I look forward to the new challenge.

rifenbury
10-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Alright, everybody! Here's the link to the new challenge. Get your flippers on and dive in!

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148636-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-10-28-15-11-8-15-quot-Under-the-Sea-quot&p=1452307#post1452307