PDA

View Full Version : Best drive config for the money

Paul Peterson
12-07-2003, 09:02 PM
I have the opportunity to spend some money on some new video drives. I've been using stripped IDEs till now. I plan to get Segate U320 10K drives. It's the size thats in question. With my budget, I can get either two 72G drives or three 36G drives. Is the speed benifit I'll see from three drives vs two offset the disadvantage of having the smaller total capacity?

Paul Peterson

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 02:55 AM
I'd go with the 72 GB drives. I have 4 of them striped on a single channel and they deliver about 180mbs. You won't get that with 2, but you WILL be able to add more at a later time, as you can afford them. If you go with the smaller model, I don't believe you can add the bigger model on the same channel. JMHO.

Boy, wait 'till you see the speed difference ! :D :cool:

Scott Bates
12-08-2003, 06:33 AM
If you get 36's you can add a 72, or whatever larger drive, but you will only be able to use 36GB of that drive in the stripe set because the limit per drive is determined by the smallest drive in the set. You can, however, use the balance on the larger drive as a separate partition in the system. For example, my IDE set was originally four 100GB drives, two died and were replaced by 120GB drives. The stripe set is 400GB minus overhead and the balance of 20GB on each of the 120's format as two 18GB system partitions.

ted
12-08-2003, 11:13 AM
I'd go with the 72's also. Having part of your Video Channel taxed with other system data might add to the paths flow causing a slowdown for real time performance.
Plus this would add for better expansion later.
Just a thought.