PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mind pointing out my UV flaws?

unstable
10-12-2015, 02:37 PM
I understand the concept of using UVs on a cube to make a die, but when I try to use them on anything slightly more complex, I always run into things unexpected. I'm sure this is because of my lack of experience and just wondered if anyone would mind providing some guidance. I know I should create a larger texture and work more on the seams, but I just wanted to test it. I created a 512 x 512 texture for testing. I highlighted some of the seams of the hat and used ABF unwrap to create the UV. When I set it up in Layout it didn't look too bad for a first go, but why do I get two rows of polys that have streaks of texturing instead of the same texture as the rest of the hat? :stumped: The two rows are highlighted in each image attached.

ernpchan
10-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Have you set your map interpolation to subd in Modeler? It looks like your hat is subds.

unstable
10-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Huh. Did not know I had to do that. Don't know how to do that, so I will look around and see what I can find. That being said, I think my answer to your question is 'no':D

unstable
10-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Wow! That was it!! Thanks much Ernpchan!!!:thumbsup: I appreciate the help

Farhad_azer
10-12-2015, 03:17 PM
"map interpolation to subd"

1)what does this mean? 2)how do we do that exactly?

ernpchan
10-12-2015, 03:48 PM

You can change the interpolation type of your UV in your Vertex Maps panel window.

Snosrap
10-12-2015, 09:19 PM
F8 on the keyboard

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 12:02 AM

Page 1662 in the 2015 dox. Bit of a chore to locate, I had to Search twice.

Some of that Mapping documentation is very... turgid. I have no idea what you'd do with some of those features.

Like:

A single island or even a single polygon can also be part of multiple UV maps (with different positions and orientations in
each UV map).

I'm sure that's true, but it's hard to visualize. --This is where 3rd party training material comes in, to unpack such compact information. And that's one of the simpler things in that section.

DogBoy
10-13-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm sure that's true, but it's hard to visualize. --This is where 3rd party training material comes in, to unpack such compact information. And that's one of the simpler things in that section.

You don't need 3rd party training material to know that UV maps can share the same geometry.

A single island or even a single polygon can also be part of multiple UV maps (with different positions and orientations in
each UV map).
is really simple: you model a T-Shirt. You set a UV map of the whole thing so you can apply a weave texture, say. You can also have a UV map of, say, just the sleeve or the back, so you can apply a printed transfer to that area. The geometry is in both UV maps.

Luc_Feri
10-13-2015, 04:01 AM
Yes I agree with DogBoy. UV maps don't need to be on the entire object, very useful to just select a small polygon area for a logo, easier to UV, no distortion likely and maximum pixel space for better resolution. Simple to do.

LW can also handle a multi tile uv set from Mari without the need to set every texture to an individual UV offset. As long as you give the part or object it's own unique surface layer, it doesn't matter the uv tile is out of the 0-1 UV range. This is where copy and paste basic, nodes material property settings is a godsend. :D

DogBoy
10-13-2015, 05:14 AM
LW can also handle a multi tile uv set from Mari without the need to set every texture to an individual UV offset. As long as you give the part or object it's own unique surface layer, it doesn't matter the uv tile is out of the 0-1 UV range. This is where copy and paste basic, nodes material property settings is a godsend. :D

Good to see another Mari user.
Yeah, the tiles are pretty good, but I was surprised how few people realised how easy they are to use. I ended up setting up a compound node to feed images into for a mate to simplify it further.

Luc_Feri
10-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Ah Thanks DogBoy, I'll have to take a look at the compound nodes to make life easier too, I was just copying the surface settings and changing each image!! :D

Modo before 801 was an absolute pain in the arse for this, manually setting each offset. Not good when I had about 18 uv tiles, and the shader tree soon became a big list too.

I'm out of maintenance for Mari, no online purchase for it and I refuse to do it over a .pdf document. They've been promising this option for the last two years have the foundry. Maybe Mari 3 will change this. I do use it but not as much as I'd expect too, my version was ended at 2.5v2 which doesn't have PBR. I tend to use substance designer more these days, and 3D coat for when I need specific lines or painting along splines for detail when Mari is awkward on stuff.

Farhad_azer
10-14-2015, 09:26 AM
dear Jeric I don't have 2015 but I understood by Mrs snosrap's tip. thank you.

DogBoy
10-14-2015, 04:10 PM
dear Jeric I don't have 2015 but I understood by Mrs snosrap's tip. thank you.

Yeah, it's been a feature for a very long time, so best to just search for Vertex Maps panel and look how the interpolation modes work (despite Jerics assertion, they are pretty obvious).

madno
10-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Very helpful Sub-D interpolation comparison I found in a thread here some time ago. Can't remember who posted it, so sorry for not giving credit.

Oedo 808
10-15-2015, 04:36 AM
Very helpful Sub-D interpolation comparison I found in a thread here some time ago. Can't remember who posted it, so sorry for not giving credit.

I think that was Probiner's. I'm trying to work out if he stole my background colour or if it was the other way around.

Luc_Feri
10-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the image post. A great reference diagram for the different UV interpolation types. Cheers :D

jeric_synergy
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
A great reference diagram for the different UV interpolation types. Cheers :D
Saved to my desktop.

zardoz
10-16-2015, 04:45 PM
each UV map)..

I'll just explain this with an example. Imagine you want to do an animation where you zoom in some character's tattoo in his arm...you can have a uv map for the entire character with all the polygons and texture it with a lets say 4k map and you can have only the arm polygons in another UVmap and use a texture with 8k for the zoom/close up. And you can use the texture map for the tattoo in multiply with the tattoo uvmap on top of the character's image map.

jeric_synergy
10-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Chunks of the mapping documentation are quite opaque to me, and are pretty abstract. A clear example such as yours helps a lot. (And if they were moderated open-source dox, we could add this example to them for the next user.)