PDA

View Full Version : Drawer with silver wear

Rizwan
10-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I have modeled this kitchen drawer now I want make silver wear slide out of the drawer. How should I go about doing it?

squarewulf
10-12-2015, 12:03 PM
I have modeled this kitchen drawer now I want make silver wear slide out of the drawer. How should I go about doing it?

I would try maybe using bullet dynamics to have the silverware fall into place.

Rizwan
10-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I have never used bullet dynamics. I am using LightWave 10. Does LightWave 10 have bullet dynamics? And if so where are the bullet dynamics?

squarewulf
10-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I have never used bullet dynamics. I am using LightWave 10. Does LightWave 10 have bullet dynamics? And if so where are the bullet dynamics?

I do not believe LW10 has bullet dynamics. ):

MonroePoteet
10-12-2015, 12:48 PM
When you say "slide out of the drawer", do you mean have just a few pieces of sliverware move from their rest positions in the drawer into the air or onto a counter or table? Or, do you mean a bunch of silverware (many pieces) in the drawer fly around like a flock?

mTp

spherical
10-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Or do you simply mean "slide out with the drawer" in a normal way? IOW, control four types of multiple like objects within a specific volume as that volume moves.

Rizwan
10-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Ok, I have modeled the drawer with morph targets to make the drawers slide in and out. if I take my spoons, knives and forks and send them to Layout. I place all the silver wear inside the drawer but when I open the morph mixer and slide the morph mixer sliders the drawers will open but all the silver wear will stay in the same place. Is there any way to make the silver wear move with the drawer?

squarewulf
10-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Ok, I have modeled the drawer with morph targets to make the drawers slide in and out. if I take my spoons, knives and forks and send them to Layout. I place all the silver wear inside the drawer but when I open the morph mixer and slide the morph mixer sliders the drawers will open but all the silver wear will stay in the same place. Is there any way to make the silver wear move with the drawer?

Compile your drawer and silverware in modeler all in one as a seperate layer. Center your objects by hitting F2. In Layout move the drawer back into place, then you can move it that way.

Snosrap
10-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Don't use a morph. Just keyframe the drawer movement and parent the silverware to it.

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 01:21 AM
It's always interesting to see what people come up with-- how did you happen to use morphing to move a drawer?

Otherwise: what Snosrap said.

MonroePoteet
10-13-2015, 08:26 AM
To clarify a little bit (I think): if you want to use a morph to make the drawer slide out, then you would have to make the silverware part of the single object, and morph it outward with the drawer. In other words, put the silverware in the drawer in a single object and move that geometry outward in the morph as well.

You could actually synchronize the movement of your silverware to the Morph amount using an Expression, but I doubt if you want to get into that.

The alternative, which I think is a more common and versatile approach proposed by Snosrap, is to separate the geometry of the drawer from the cabinetry and make it a separate layer, or a completely separate object. You then use keyframes to slide the drawer out, and you can parent your silverware to the drawer layer / object. Attached is a very quick example scene. The Cabinetry object has two layers: one with the cabinetry and the two static drawers, and the second layer is the drawer to be moved. The Fork object is then parented to the drawer to be moved, moved into place for Keyframe 0, and the drawer is keyframed to slide it out.

mTp

MonroePoteet
10-13-2015, 09:00 AM
FYI, here are three scenes with the three different methods:

1) Cabinetry_WithDrawerAndFork.lws - separate drawer layer, separate fork object, drawer keyframed, fork parented to drawer
2) Cabinetry_WithMorphedDrawer_ForkExpression.lws - morphed drawer sliding out, synchronized with Expression on Fork's Z channel
3) Cabinetry_WithMorphedDrawerAndFork.lws - single object including drawer and fork, morphed to slide out

Note that the Expression on the Fork's Z channel in (2) depends upon knowing the exact amount the drawer was morphed outward (in this case, 37.5cm), which was determined by looking at the Point Information (i) on one of the points of the drawer in the Morph.

mTp

P.S. To see the Expression on the Fork's Z channel, press the E (envelope) button on the Fork's Z channel, select the Expressions tab at the bottom of the Graph Editor, and use the Expressions pull-down to see the SlideWithDrawer expression.