PDA

View Full Version : Noob-level: IK question: why movement at frame zero?

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 03:48 PM
NOOB (level) warning:

One thing I've never understood is, if you've Rested Bones at frame zero, and nothing has moved at all, why would points be deformed when toggling IK-ON/OFF? If the Bones have been Rested, and they haven't moved yet, shouldn't there be zero deformation?

ernpchan
10-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Bones might be moving towards their ik goals?

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Well, I tried to place the goals exactly at the points where the bone chain wouldn't need to move, but I'm rubbish at this, sooooo...

ernpchan
10-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Did you manually place the IK goal or do the parent, parent in place - unparent process? The last process would in theory place your goal exactly where the bone is though you still might see some shifting when you toggle ok on/off.

RebelHill
10-11-2015, 06:52 PM
alt snap

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Did you manually place the IK goal or do the parent, parent in place - unparent process?
That's what I did.

alt snap
I'm afraid that one flew over my head. --I jumped over to Layout just now, but ALT of course moved the viewports around, so I'm not getting your meaning.

RebelHill
10-12-2015, 04:13 AM
If you hold alt while dragging an item, itll snap position when it approaches another item.

jeric_synergy
10-12-2015, 09:25 AM
If you hold alt while dragging an item, itll snap position when it approaches another item.
Ahhhh, I see, it's a rhythm thing: one must already be dragging. THANKS.

That's a tonne faster than parent/set/unparent etc.

MonroePoteet
10-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I like using the parent / unparent approach because the goal is then not just placed exactly but is also oriented with the bone, so I can set the "Match Goal Orientation" in the bone's Motion panel.

mTp

jeric_synergy
10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
I like using the parent / unparent approach because the goal is then not just placed exactly but is also oriented with the bone, so I can set the "Match Goal Orientation" in the bone's Motion panel.
mTp
Excellent point. Good to know both ways!