PDA

View Full Version : Make Human and LightWave tutorial

Philbert
10-11-2015, 12:52 PM
In case some you have not used Make Human, it's free and open source software (FOSS) for making human characters models very quickly and easily. I did a basic tutorial on it along with basics of how to get your new character set up in LightWave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZZQlikUQU

rcallicotte
10-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks very much, Phil! I was just thinking about this over this weekend.

Philbert
10-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Ah good, glad it's appreciated. Some of the LightWave stuff isn't as nice as it could be. Unfortunately in LW 2015 the FBX importer changed and doesn't work as well. In the previous one I could load the character in and all of the bone weightmaps would be applied and bones would be active in this one they're not. For some quick poses I actually just used regular LightWave weighting (no weightmaps) and had to add in a couple of holder bones in the ribs and head I think. Another thing I kind of skipped over is the textures. They load fine but the transparency doesn't work right so you get a purple color over the eyes and edges of the hair. I ended up making a black and white transparency image in Photoshop, which was pretty easy.

Marander
10-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks Phil, great tutorial and very well narrated!

I'm surprised it even generates the weight maps. When last tried MH there was no T-Pose and I wanted to rig it in Genoma. After watching our tutorial I think I'll give it another try with the nightly build and rig it in Genoma2 or RHiggit.

Philbert
10-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks Phil, great tutorial and very well narrated!

I'm surprised it even generates the weight maps. When last tried MH there was no T-Pose and I wanted to rig it in Genoma. After watching our tutorial I think I'll give it another try with the nightly build and rig it in Genoma2 or RHiggit.

Thanks. Sadly the mic I've been using was on loan and I had to give it back so I'll have to get another one or settle with lower quality for future tutorials.

pinkmouse
10-12-2015, 02:56 AM
Nice one Phil!

I'm not into CA at all, but with your tips here I suspect I could bodge my way through if needed. Thanks. :)