PDA

View Full Version : Probs with LWCad 4.51 Primatives in 2015.3

Ma3rk
10-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Hmmm. I don't see an area anymore for 3rd party plug-ins.

Anyway, I'm starting to add my 3rd party plug-ins on a shiny new install of LW 2015.3 and figured LWCad 4.51 would be a good first choice to start.

The install went smoothly, reg info accepted in a blink as was the new preset libraries folder and adding the menu branches.

So as my first test I chose to draw a primitive circle. What I got though was a square. Odd. Had the numeric open and couldn't find any obvious setting such as a freeze error or min angle, but nope.

Fiddled around with some other tools and only having problems with the circle and arc that I can see so far.

I did discover that with the Boolean modes of those tools, the correct shapes appear and the operation occurs. In the Off and Cut mode with Arc, get an odd trapezoid shape. With Circle, I get the square again when in Off mode.

I haven't kicked the rest of the tires yet, but that seemed to be a big enough problem for others to have noticed by now I'm pretty sure. Did a Google search to see what was on this forum (sigh), but didn't find anything relevant.

So, any of this ring any lights or flash any bells as to where I might look for the source of these problems? I didn't want to pester Viktor just yet with something that might already be common knowledge.

Thanks

spherical
10-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Hmmm. I don't see an area anymore for 3rd party plug-ins.

This one? http://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?31-LW-Third-Party

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 04:51 PM
I put mine in dedicated "3rd Party" folders in NEWTEK folder, 'above' the version folders, rather than inside the 2015.n folderS, because I got tired of keeping track of all the versions.

Ma3rk
10-11-2015, 07:45 PM
This one? http://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?31-LW-Third-Party

That's it. Didn't recall it being a couple levels down.

jwiede
10-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Never mind, misunderstood.

Ma3rk
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I put mine in dedicated "3rd Party" folders in NEWTEK folder, 'above' the version folders, rather than inside the 2015.n folderS, because I got tired of keeping track of all the versions.

So, all of your versions are literally looking at the same plugs & scripts. Hmmm.

I'm just gun shy I guess if a new but incompatible config gets written. It is 3rd party after all.

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but in reality it's only a couple LW versions. I should get in there with a broom: I don't see a need for LW10 any more.

Ma3rk
10-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Meanwhile, considering the resounding no response with my problem, I'm suspecting other things such as video settings. I'm not able to do a right mouse lasso select in 2015 nor 11.6.2. It starts to draw with a red line but then the marquee vanishes behind like a fast fuse before I complete my selection.

spherical
10-12-2015, 04:02 AM
So, all of your versions are literally looking at the same plugs & scripts. Hmmm.

Not a good idea. Looks great on the surface but, inevitably, there are plugins that are created version-specific to a certain extent; and those extents vary. Denis' have this, as do others. The capabilities and related SDKs of various versions demand version specificity. Run the wrong plugin version on the wrong LightWave version and you have a real ball of wax on your hands trynig to figure out why things aren't working and either posting useless threads or filing bogus bug reports... or both. Don't take any shortcuts. It isn't as if the plugins take all that amount of disk space.

Ma3rk
12-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Dec. 7 Follow up.

I've sent Viktor a note about this but haven't heard back yet. Usually, he gets back with in a couple hours.

Anyway, I thought this was related to some hardware issues; had a RAM chip die and my nVidia Quadro 4000 was having a slow death as well as it turns out. Replaced those with new components yet still having the issue with LWCad 4.51 and LW2015.3.

With LWCad 4.51 in LW 11.6 however, it works as it should. Here's what I'm talking about visually:

Circle tool in LW 11.6

Circle tool in LW 2015

Similarly with the Arc tool in LW2015

However, if I use a boolean option with 4.51 in LW 2015, it performs correctly:

I've tried different Open GL settings, etc. thinking it might be related, but no luck. At this point, I can't tell if it's an issue with LWCad or LW 2015. I'm planning to upgrade to LWCad 5.0, but would like to track down what's causing this before I do. It might even be that 5.0 won't have this problem, but ...

Any suggestions?

Ma3rk
12-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Woo Hoo!

Discovered that I didn't have some basic tools (namely Select Loop). Sensei suggested rescanning the plugins folder. Not only did it find that (under Modeler Tools rather than the Select Tab), but apparently that resolved this issue with LW Cad as well.

Very odd with a new install, but will take it.

Probably be ordering LWCad 5.0 tonight.

jeric_synergy
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Ma3rk, if you're starting to have disparate hw probs, cast a jaundiced eye on your power supply.

BeeVee
12-08-2015, 01:43 AM
Whenever you get the "squares instead of curves" problem in Modeler with LWCAD, just re-add the LWCAD plugins.

B

Ma3rk
12-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Ma3rk, if you're starting to have disparate hw probs, cast a jaundiced eye on your power supply.

It was the video card that was slowly dying. That and one RAM chip.

It was possibly exacerbated with a Stella Artois incident back when SoCal was having triple digit temps for some weeks. :bangwall:

Ma3rk
12-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Whenever you get the "squares instead of curves" problem in Modeler with LWCAD, just re-add the LWCAD plugins.

B

Ah. Good to know. I was scanning the entire Support folder which ends up adding an Additional tab in the Top area. A bit annoying.