PDA

View Full Version : Rigging: auto-renumbering Bones after series of BONE SPLIT operations

jeric_synergy
10-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Playing around with Bones, wound up splitting a bunch, which leaves an ugly naming situation:

Ugh. That's four "Bone.002"s. I realize they're delineated by their duplicate number, but still.

Is there a non-tedious way to get them all sequentially ordered again? Ideally, it'd be a "Select them all, push a button" kind of deal.

ernpchan
10-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Yeah, make a script to do that.

jeric_synergy
10-10-2015, 02:39 AM
I've added it to my "Scripts to write" list. There's about six on there.

hdace
10-10-2015, 04:40 AM
I'd pay a buck for that.

Waves of light
10-10-2015, 05:50 AM
There are two plugins that you can use: Genoma Renamer (this will rename all you selected items and includes a nice 'remove' function) and Mike Green's MGRenamer plugin (http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html)

jeric_synergy
10-10-2015, 11:12 AM
There are two plugins that you can use: Genoma Renamer (this will rename all you selected items and includes a nice 'remove' function) and Mike Green's MGRenamer plugin (http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html)
Thanks WoL: I should really start each day with a stroll thru Mike's website-- there's SO MANY tools in there, it's easy to forget that he solved many such problems years ago.

Additionally, he's a bloody nice guy and has help me and dozens of other users numerous times.

::clickaclickaclicka:: EVEN BETTER, Mike has provided MGRenamer as uncompiled source code, so we can alter if we wish. :bowdown:

EDIT: you know, the funny thing is, I was so focused on NUMBERING, it didn't occur to me that really it was renaming. :foreheads

EDIT2: Drat, still getting multiple instances of the same index name/number using MGRenamer. I suspect it has something to do with the item order, since these were created by semi-randomly splitting existing bones. Here's what the SE looks like after several (>4) attempts:

Waves of light
10-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks WoL: I should really start each day with a stroll thru Mike's website-- there's SO MANY tools in there, it's easy to forget that he solved many such problems years ago.

Additionally, he's a bloody nice guy and has help me and dozens of other users numerous times.

::clickaclickaclicka:: EVEN BETTER, Mike has provided MGRenamer as uncompiled source code, so we can alter if we wish. :bowdown:

EDIT: you know, the funny thing is, I was so focused on NUMBERING, it didn't occur to me that really it was renaming. :foreheads

EDIT2: Drat, still getting multiple instances of the same index name/number. I suspect it has something to do with the item order, since these were created by semi-randomly splitting existing bones. Here's what the SE looks like after several (>4) attempts:

Yer, was skyping with him today re. MGRenamer. He's a nice bloke.

EDIT: Try doing the following:

Select first bone in chain!!! Important
Run Mike's plugin
Name Format: Bone_### (I have removed the <name> part too, so that it renames all my bones without try to use it's current name)
CounterStart 1
Strip Digits
Use Counter

Try that.