PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices Exporting from Max to Lightwave

SteveH
10-09-2015, 07:46 AM
I have to take up a project that was started by a firm using max. They will export out to whatever format I want. Can anyone tell me what format is best - FBX? Or maybe OBJ - or something else entirely? They are just exporting out site models (mostly buildings and terrain). Is there any best practices you guys can share on the best way for them to export out and then for me to bring in to minimize the work I'm going to have to do? Any gotchas you have encountered? Any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

ernpchan
10-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Obj is fine if you just need the geo. Fbx will give you basic animation. If stuff is deforming you'll wanna geo cache that stuff out.

SteveH
10-09-2015, 07:53 AM
There will be no deformations - just geometry and textures. Will obj out of Max include the texturing info and needed images? Sorry - I have no idea how that works.

ernpchan
10-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Obj will give you surface names. Not sure how much of the surface/shading info will translate since that's usually specific to the program.

sukardi
10-09-2015, 08:35 AM
You may want to convert all objects to polymesh before exporting ...

bazsa73
10-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I did a few export from max. One issue you will bump into is the scale of the model on LW's side.
I couldn't avoid resetting textures manually and diffuse, luminosity, specular are always a mess too.
And if the max model has turbosmooth on you better swithc that off, otherwise the mesh will be subdivided heavily.

SteveH
10-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Great everyone - terrific tips. I'm talking with the Max guy this morning - so we will see how it goes! Thanks everyone!

jeric_synergy
10-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Have them include defined (& simple) reference objects, preferably with critical textures applied: like a 1 mtr cube and a 1 mtr sphere. That can't hurt.

Hmmm, I wonder if one reference object per surface is practical?

Once you get everything working you can delete or hide those references.