PDA

View Full Version : Photogrammetry with Lightwave

Dillon
10-07-2015, 02:16 PM
I've been experimenting with photogrammetry and getting pretty poor results so far, until now. I took like 7 pictures of this ceramic etching and used Agisoft Photoscan to process the images. I'm surprised that it got the specular reflection fairy correct as well!

Uploaded and shared. Pretty sweet seeing the real world in LightWave! Photogrammetry struggles with flat surfaces like walls and floors without details.

Diving deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole of VR. It's an amazing time!

Dillon
10-07-2015, 02:38 PM
In case no one saw this video .... check this out - revealed this morning from a startup working in VR:

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/uncorporeal-vr-movies/

A new u3d format that will playback a captured video file right within your 3D host application (Unity 3D only at the moment). The result of the 3D scanned video is a mesh that you can splice/dice. A melding of CGI and Live action footage. Endless possibilities.

Dillon
10-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Wow, this is way too much fun! Quickly captured this rock outside my office. 10 minutes worth of work to arrive at this.

I give you a real rock!

Packaged LW scene/objects/images. Enjoy!

Dillon
10-08-2015, 05:21 PM
And now a tree stump on the ground. This is too fun!

SteveH
10-08-2015, 06:53 PM
The Lightwave files are very cool - and the movie - wow we indeed live in interesting times. Thanks Dillon!

Dillon
10-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks for commenting, Steve! I'm experimenting with low resolution outputs thus far, and am quite pleased with the low poly count and speed of interactivity in LW and in Unreal engine with these assets. Studying the software a bit before I start cranking out higher resolution mesh/textures. This is incredibly fun to do and experiment with!

The Lightwave files are very cool - and the movie - wow we indeed live in interesting times. Thanks Dillon!

ianr
10-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Hey Dill Dude,
Nice work,whats the chance of a lscript or pluggie fur LW.?
I Wonder what that the size bugout is for this.
COULD we run heli drone passes across LARGE objects
with Gopros? It sure would save on using Lecias PhotoG stuff &
those huge point cloud headaches? Also could create a bow 4 LW

kyuzo
10-12-2015, 06:49 AM
So are you making these with the standard edition, 30-day trial, or the Professional edition?

Dillon
10-12-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm trialing the 30 day standard edition of Agisoft's Photoscan.

Photogrammetry has some serious limitations: foliage is a definite no no. Reflective shiny surfaces. Occluded objects. Objects that occlude other objects. And flat featureless walls. These all make the algorithm choke.

Optimal shooting is indoors with no reflective/specular surfaces. And outdoors on a cloudy day. A polarizing filter on the lens helps with some reflective surfaces. The quick scans I did on Thursday were my discovery of a super fast shooting mode on the camera I was shooting with, combined with a fast lens and fast shutter speed. A quick walk around the object created passable results.

So are you making these with the standard edition, 30-day trial, or the Professional edition?

kyuzo
10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Interesting. I have looked into photogrammetry in the past, but the programs I've seen either had big limitations, or were waaaay out of my budget. Nice to see an option that seems reliable AND doesn't cost the earth...