PDA

View Full Version : Want to make comic books, got question

rednova
10-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Hi All:

I spent a few years drawing in sketchbooks, mainly japanese animation.
I would like to be able to make comic books, with pencil and colors.
I want to make comic books, but don't need to make any money off
them, nor to succeed and be popular. I just want to make comics because
I love them, and i could probably post them online for free.
I have in DVD a complete class on figure drawing, and one in portrait drawing.
Will these be good enough for learning to make my comics ?
Do you have any sugggestions, like online training ?
I found kubert school online, and i am planning on getting his classes.
Any help will be appreciated,
Thank you !!!

Markc
10-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Have a look on Smith Micro website.
As they make Motion Artist, Manga Studio etc they have all sorts of tutorials and groups for artists.

magiclight
10-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Yes, Manga Studio is cool and at a good price, it gives you lots of features you have in photoshop at a much lower price, and it has lots of stuff that help with comics (panels, balloons, rulers and so on), it's also fast, you can have hundreds of raster layers and it's still snappy, and the story book feature is also nice, makes it easy to organize the pages.

gerry_g
10-08-2015, 07:47 AM
don't think 'learning to draw' is necessary or even advisable just be yourself and learn to express yourself rather than being like every one else, besides learning to draw will pail in comparison to the full task you have in hand which is to concept, script, block out, artwork,paginate proof and publish a viable piece of work, and thats before you deal with the little things like opening an eBook or iBook publisher account, checking for copyright infringement (you character name unbeknown to you may already be widely known as some other entity) and dealing with the promotional side of thing. You have a way bigger task ahead of you than you think and each will impact upon the other, learn them all at once and not in isolation would be my advice, digital publishing requires it's own authoring tools for layout and publishing, if your on a Mac the free iBook Author is pretty good, or there is the ePub settings in Adobe CC's InDesign, I don't know about Manga Studio or its ability to output to ePub but ePub is the de facto standard to which all must adhere or you won't get published.

magiclight
10-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Yes, manga Studio will do Kindle and epub format, on the other hand it sounds like he is not doing this for commercial publishing so PDF/CBZ or any other format would work fine, no need to go down the epub road.