PDA

View Full Version : The Unified Geometry Engine

Dillon
10-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Rob P mentioned the Unified Geometry Engine several times in the first blog. Next to the paragraph long explanation of it, is this picture: https://blog.lightwave3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LW_Volume04-300x300.jpg

Do I see two voxel volumes with 2 textures overlaying each other? One being the green blobular cluster, and the other being the yellow fibrous looking wisps? Whatever this is, it looks like a fantastic medium for medical visualization!

Or could the green globular structure be procedural geometry with subsurface scattering turned on? The yellow wisps seem oddly aware of the globular green corpuscle looking things.

What's going on in this image?

hdace
10-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Looks like SSS to me

Dillon
10-03-2015, 10:48 AM
That's what I'm thinking! The green globular thing isn't a volume, but geometry? Or, I suppose it's possible the new volumes could have SSS properties.

nez
10-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Those are volumes, like TFD but with proper shading I would say. If you look carefully on it you will see that it has little dots all around separated from the object, that means that a procedural is applied to some surface in a volumetric way. A few months ago Octane revealed quite similar examples for V3..

nez
10-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I just went nuts. Volumetrics can be Geo?

Skonk
10-03-2015, 12:19 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148246-Examples-of-the-New-LightWave-Volumetric-and-PBR-Engine

nez
10-03-2015, 12:28 PM
yup, beautiful. The question is, in my ignorance I believe that those "volumetrics" are not actual geometry, so, are they?

Dillon
10-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Now I'm starting to think it is a new volume rendering type thing that can be surfaced like regular geometry?

yup, beautiful. The question is, in my ignorance I believe that those "volumetrics" are not actual geometry, so, are they?

prometheus
10-04-2015, 02:50 PM
I wonder how the new stuff in the future could be compatible with further development of volumedic.
volumedic has mesh to volumetrics and vice versa I think.

CaptainMarlowe
10-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Is volumedic still supported ? Their website seem to have not been updated since 2012 and the LW 10 days...

jwiede
10-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Is volumedic still supported ? Their website seem to have not been updated since 2012 and the LW 10 days...

Elmer hasn't been around for ages, either. Any signs of updates for the plugin itself?

prometheus
10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
I just went nuts. Volumetrics can be Geo?

I donīt think it is directly specified by Rob or anyone in the dev team, that geo can be volumetrics..but as you can see on this example they showcased..I am most convinced that is the case, and that is something I have nagged about for years..modo has it, and I think it now will come to the lightwave platform in one of the upcoming releases..which one remains to be seen.
I am curious in that case to see if the tech is similar between modo and lightwave in such case..or if something else is under the hood.

with tricks I did a lightwave logo with volumetrics..seemingy in 3d with dissolve nodes tricks, and you can use dponīts nodes to boolean cut out volumetric shapes based on geometry, this lightwave logo could of course also have been a simple texture map and applied to a box with volumetrics..or it could be geo shaped directly...whatever it might be, I believe they pull that off..to implement geo shapes and turn to volumetrics, and I hope it is more effecient to setup than the trick workarounds.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129988&d=1443447978

joseba
10-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I think this image is about pbr sss logo model with volumetric vdb

lino.grandi
10-05-2015, 12:06 PM
There's some good guessing here and there.... ;)

mummyman
10-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I just can't wait to see what I can throw at the new geo / render engine. Some of my scenes can get pretty "full" Hopefully we'll get some amazing speed ups! Looking forward to trying to break things. :)

chikega
10-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I remember when I was a beta tester for messiah studio 10 plus years ago. It was fun putting the nascent Arnold render engine through it's paces with SSS. I can't wait to try LW 2016 out :)

kopperdrake
10-06-2015, 09:03 AM
So would the geometry essentially be a container for particles that act as seeds for the volumetrics, in which case that could also explain the whispy effects outside the geometry container, if the particles have been affected by dynamics?

Dillon
10-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Hmmm ... geometry and volumetrics can share exactly the same surface/SSS/PBR properties?

Hmmm......

So would the geometry essentially be a container for particles that act as seeds for the volumetrics, in which case that could also explain the whispy effects outside the geometry container, if the particles have been affected by dynamics?

creacon
10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
In OpenVDB it's pretty easy to union 2 or more volumes together, one could be a SDF while the other could be particle based. It could be that that's what we are seeing in the image.

creacon

Dan Ritchie
10-06-2015, 03:41 PM
In OpenVDB it's pretty easy to union 2 or more volumes together, one could be a SDF while the other could be particle based. It could be that that's what we are seeing in the image.

creacon

If you look in the comic book, there's a thing called a unified brush.

Dillon
10-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Twould be a lovely thing indeed to simply paint volumes into place using a unified brush. Heheheh.

Every4thPixel
10-07-2015, 06:16 AM
I like the shadows on these volumetric objects....

prometheus
10-07-2015, 09:29 AM

That seems a bit pointless...for the task of changing geoshapes to volumes that is, that is not how modo or houdini does it (basicly) I think..even though it can be a good option to have geoshapes filled with particles that can be dynamic..but in this case I would guess it is a simple object turned volumetrics without particles, the whispy effectc might be a combination of two materials or perhaps a density gradient that fades out the edges perhaps..I donīt see why that would indicate it being particles.
One thing that could be effecient, and what houdini does with implicit surfaces when turning a mesh to volumetrics, you have an additional tab where you add particles to that volumetric shapes, and that will break up the geometric uniformity with blobs if you want that.

Michael