PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from Maya to LightWave

bellmore
10-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Greetings everyone. I am going to use this thread to ask all of my silly questions about doing similar things in LightWave that I can do in Maya. My first question: Is it possible to quickly cut up an object adding edge loops like I do in the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmMJoIaEu-4

JoePoe
10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Edit Edges. Under Details Tab.
Right click and drag left or right to create new loops.

Edit: left click to move existing edge loops.

ernpchan
10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
You could use the Knife tool or the Bandsaw tool.

TrueArt has a tool called EasySplit but it's a commercial plugin.
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit

bellmore
10-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I tried Band Saw Pro but it was time consuming to do what I wanted to do. The TrueArt plugin looks cool, you can slice through geometry easily. It seams like the knife tool but better. Edit Edges is pretty much what I was looking for. I searched the help file for "adding edge loops" but nothing came up that was relevant to what I was wanting to accomplish. Thank you for the help.

jasonwestmas
10-02-2015, 06:19 PM
The right and left buttons perform different operations with some lightwave tools.

ernpchan
10-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I tried Band Saw Pro but it was time consuming to do what I wanted to do.

The one thing I like about BandsawPro is that you can have presets to automatically add a specific number of divisions at specific intervals. But it's not manually interactive like the other tools.

Snosrap
10-02-2015, 08:14 PM
The one thing I like about BandsawPro is that you can have presets to automatically add a specific number of divisions at specific intervals. But it's not manually interactive like the other tools.
But it remembers its last state which are invoked the next time it's triggered. Priceless!

bellmore
10-02-2015, 08:21 PM
I have a question about LightWave's extrude tool. When I use extrude, the faces that I extrude are inside out. I can flip them but it seems like there should be a way to extrude and have the faces facing the correct way. I looked up the extrude tool and there doesn't seem like there is a setting that I can enable/disable the problem that I am having. The help file shows text being extruded and the faces are facing the correct way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJOzI_wMAc

Farhad_azer
10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
si,plest answer to ur second question is to use extender instead of extrude. simply hit 'e' and then move it.

Snosrap
10-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Yeah- extrude is best used on a flat 2D piece of geometry. Depending on what your intention is you could also use "b" for bevel. Farhad's 'e' and then "t" for move is a good workflow to because you can keep the move tool invoked and just press "e" and immediately move it. When you first press "e" it's not evident that anything has happened, but in reality a new poly has been created on top of the selection. You don't know it did anything until you move it. Maybe not user friendly in that regard but it works.

JoePoe
10-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Also.... in this particular case.... Smooth Shift.

Snosrap
10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Yep - that's Modeler. A million ways to do something. :)

Farhad_azer
10-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Woooooooow, it is great to finally see Mrs.Snosrap admiring our beloved modeler. :P (No offence, just kidding)

Surrealist.
10-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Greetings everyone. I am going to use this thread to ask all of my silly questions about doing similar things in LightWave that I can do in Maya. My first question: Is it possible to quickly cut up an object adding edge loops like I do in the video?

Additionally although not fastest for Edge Loops, have a look at Add Edges tool. (details tab) It will give you some similar options to the Split Faces tool in Maya. I can't remember if they added another split tool like that in 2015. Someone else can chime in.

And Bandsaw Pro even though old and clunkly does have some features worth learning. And it is useful in some situations.

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 12:59 AM
I know it got mentioned, but I'm surprised there's not more pushing of the new-ish Edit Edges: for me it has pretty much relegated BandsawPro to the closet.

For interactivity it can't be beat.

erikals
10-03-2015, 02:32 AM
might also be of use for a newcomer, some LightWave User Interface videos >
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC4BD95AA2C4D4F3

Sensei
10-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I searched the help file for "adding edge loops" but nothing came up that was relevant to what I was wanting to accomplish. Thank you for the help.

Check Swift Edge Loop (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop), it integrates plentiful of tools into one handy, that you can easily make short-cut key (faster workflow).

It has couple unique features:
- smoothed edge loop (analyze original geometry curvature to make smoothed curved transition, instead of linear interpolation as all other tools),
- supports symmetry.
- supports catmull-clark sub-patches.
- optionally supports user polygon selection.

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I searched the help file for "adding edge loops" but nothing came up that was relevant to what I was wanting to accomplish.
THIS is why I want "user-assisted documentation"-- if we were allowed to ADD TO the index on the official PDFs, a link could be added to the index, and other users, other MAYA or other software migratees, could more easily find LW concepts in their 'native' languages.

Make that "user-enhanced": no matter how good a job BeeVee does, he'll never anticipate all the reasonable ways the dox may be Searched.

Lewis
10-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Just use Multishift (with numeric panel open you have multipel options) or Bevel if you don't need group polygons but only single (yes bevel on polygons, weird as it soudns but works in LWM on polygon like extrude in other apps).

bellmore
10-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks erikals for the video links, they are helpful. Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. They have been quite helpful. One thing that I am noticing, there does not seem to be a distinction between object mode and edit mode. It seems to be in edit mode always, unless I am missing something. It makes it difficult to select individual objects. Everything seems to be just one big object. The only thing that I see that would allow me to work on individual pieces of geometry is to cut and paste into different layers. But then I have all these different layers and I would have to go around and cut and paste to get them back into a single layer. Is there a shortcut for selecting all of the layers at once? I haven't gone through all of erikals videos so maybe there is something there. Edit Edges is great but doesn't seem to completely cut through geometry. For example, if I have a house plan and I want to cut out some windows, Edit Edges does not appear to cut through the outside and interior walls like the Knife tool does.

Sensei
10-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Editing mesh is only possible in Modeler. It's all the time like in Edit mode in other app.
If nothing is selected, everything is selected.
So if you want to offset object, simply use Move tool. No need to select entire mesh.

erikals
10-03-2015, 03:28 PM
For example, if I have a house plan and I want to cut out some windows, Edit Edges does not appear to cut through the outside and interior walls like the Knife tool does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNllNlO5UMo

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
EDIT EDGES is not a knife, it adds edge loops constrained by certain rules: for instance, try adding edge loops to a 'globe' (default ball object)-- the edge loop creation terminates at the poles.

For slicing entirely thru a mesh, you would indeed use the Knife, or possible Boolean/Slice thru the mesh.

Because LW is 2 distinct environments, MODELER is indeed always in "edit mode", which is not really even a concept in LW-ese. (If it's always that way, there's no point in labeling it.)

You can select all Layers, CUT and PASTE and they will all end up in the lowest selected layer. My menus are so customized I can't guide you to the proper tools, but I'd start with page 1803 of the PDF, the LAYERS TAB chapter. You can also HIDE Layers and they will not be loaded with the rest of the Object into Layout. This is good for reference layers, and layers used as tools, such as Boolean slicers.

You can also COLLAPSE OBJ, I see that's a native function. I'm not sure what happens to hidden layers when you do this, possibly something lame.

You may want to check the plugins page for utilities that add functions you desire: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

One thing many migratees miss is that many LW tools have "falloffs", which is reminiscent of "soft selection" in other apps. However, not all tools have falloffs.

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 03:44 PM
FWIW, "COLLAPSE OBJ" takes all the layers, hidden or not, and makes them into a NEW object, with one sole layer. Pretty lame, really.

Surrealist.
10-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks erikals for the video links, they are helpful. Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. They have been quite helpful. One thing that I am noticing, there does not seem to be a distinction between object mode and edit mode. It seems to be in edit mode always, unless I am missing something. It makes it difficult to select individual objects. Everything seems to be just one big object.

That is correct. Modeler is the Edit Mode for Objects in Layout. Even though obviously you don't need to have them in Layout. But if you send them to Layout then you open the bridge between Modeler and Layout as long as both apps are open. And changes you make to the model can update in Layout. In the reverse direction you can open Modeler from Layout with an object selected and it will open that Object in Modeler establishing the bridge.

You have hit on one of the main drawbacks to this workflow. You are sequestered from manipulating objects on the object level. You need this. Some models are a group of Objects. In Modeler a layer is the container for a separate object in Layout. If you look at the upper right hand side of the Modeler interface you see the options for updating Layout. That is what this is all about.

The only thing that I see that would allow me to work on individual pieces of geometry is to cut and paste into different layers. But then I have all these different layers and I would have to go around and cut and paste to get them back into a single layer. Is there a shortcut for selecting all of the layers at once?

F7 is the shortcut for the Layers panel. Check out the manual and learn all about this. It will be very helpful. You can manage your layers a lot better here. You can even turn them all on or off at the same time. As well as of course name them. The names you give them will be the names in Layout.

Edit Edges is great but doesn't seem to completely cut through geometry. For example, if I have a house plan and I want to cut out some windows, Edit Edges does not appear to cut through the outside and interior walls like the Knife tool does.

For something like this use the Construct Tab Boolean section.

Make a mesh in the shape you want to cut out, put it in a BG layer and you have options to even slice the mesh by projecting into it using drill or solid drill as an example.

Check the manual out and look for vids on this.

There is also a trick for moving connected geometry around without selecting it first. Forget what that is off hand. There is the dragnet fall off trick but there is a better one. I just forget what it is.

wesleycorgi
10-03-2015, 04:01 PM
I know it got mentioned, but I'm surprised there's not more pushing of the new-ish Edit Edges: for me it has pretty much relegated BandsawPro to the closet.

For interactivity it can't be beat.
Yes, edit edges is what I would use if you have 11.x and up. LW Brush (commercial plug-in) also has a really nice set of tools that makes this operation easy.

Marander
10-03-2015, 05:38 PM
It makes it difficult to select individual objects. Everything seems to be just one big object. The only thing that I see that would allow me to work on individual pieces of geometry is to cut and paste into different layers.

You can hide / unhide different parts to isolate the geometry for editing.

You might want to check out the various possibilities for selection and hiding for example

- Hide selected, hide unselected, unhide, invert
- Switch for- and background layer with the ' key
- Expand selection
- Select connected (very important)
- Select whole surface / whole part
- Note that you can select edge loops with the arrow keys automatically
- The polygon statistics panel (very important) allows various selections and helps correcting geometry

Learn the shortcuts for these and / or create custom menus to have easy access (see example below of my custom geometry menu).

There are many hidden features like creating subdivisions with the arrow key when creating for example a box.

There are also the 3rd party ODTools adds layer handling features.

It's worth checking the sticky thread http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139165-Basic-stuff-Lightwave-users-should-know-but-are-not-so-obvious

Example custom menu with selection tools:

Statistics panel (shortcut w):

Snosrap
10-03-2015, 08:41 PM

For interactivity it can't be beat. I'm not sure there is any other way to make a perfectly symmetrical subdivided cube with a desired round edge - without BandsawPro. With BandsawPro it's just a few clicks (because it remembers previous) to get a perfectly symmetrical subdivided cube with a nice soft edge. Please tell me how otherwise. :)

Surrealist.
10-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Yeah for uniform and consistent cuts, I agree about Bandsaw. While it is not very interactive, but a visit of the manual on the numeric settings is a good idea. It is great if you are doing a lot of cuts on similar objects that are flat or cubical and need swift preps for subdivision surfaces.

For nice sharp edges a value of 3% on he left and 97% on the right will give you good results and you can adjust from there to get what you want. Additionally if I have a long piece like say a board, I will divide a few cuts in the middle as well.

Speaking of SubDivision surfaces. It was down for a while but it is back now.

Very cool. Guess I missed that.

http://lightwiki.pro/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

I'll stick it back in my sig.

To the OP it has a lot of modeling tricks in there that will still be very useful. Some things could be modified for 2015 but most of it still very relevant.

JoePoe
10-04-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure there is any other way to make a perfectly symmetrical subdivided cube with a desired round edge - without BandsawPro. With BandsawPro it's just a few clicks (because it remembers previous) to get a perfectly symmetrical subdivided cube with a nice soft edge. Please tell me how otherwise. :)

Chamfer is very good at this. Hit subdivide (faceted) once and chamfer ALL the middle edges at the same time. Interactively.
Also Rounder. No first step.... just round. Albeit the edges are a little more rounded this way as the pre SubD mesh has a head start.
(both will result in perfect symmetry, but both use distance not % if that matters)

Side note: As far as adding subdivisions down a length I've recently just been banging on the "l" key a couple of times.
BUT... if I want a specific number of, or a specific spacing for, multiple cuts, Pro is still the way to go.

bellmore
10-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Chamfer seems to work like bevel does in Maya. The F7 shortcut for pulling up the layers panel is great because I can name and keep the layers organized. Is there anything in LightWave that is similar to the outliner in Maya? Can I name individual objects? I know I can use q to name surfaces, but that is not quite what I am after, or maybe it is. I am going through the wiki that Surrealist posted (very informative). The boolean tools are working better than I thought they would. They work about the same as they do in Maya. I am playing around with the Lathe tool. I like the control that I get with bezier, but the step size is way to much for me. when I use the spline draw and then lathe, the step size is manageable. In the lathe tools panel (what I get when I hit n) only allows me to change the sides. Is there somewhere else that I can change the step size? The video shows what I am talking about. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoboxuqamU

Sensei
10-04-2015, 10:54 AM
I am playing around with the Lathe tool. I like the control that I get with bezier, but the step size is way to much for me. when I use the spline draw and then lathe, the step size is manageable. In the lathe tools panel (what I get when I hit n) only allows me to change the sides. Is there somewhere else that I can change the step size?

You're thinking probably about quantizing spline to equal number of segments,
so after Lathe, it'll be smooth mesh.
For such job there is recommended EasySpline (http://www.easyspline.com)'s Spline Density
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgTdxWSCCk

If you would like to have your object all the time splines, there is Spline Lathe tool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAeIoL-fR9k
which works on input spline, and generate splines, whole spline cage.

Farhad_azer
10-04-2015, 10:59 AM
You can also hit n before deactivating Bezier tool in which u can decrease amount of subdiv and this eventually will make less segments after doing Lathe.

About first question why don't u cut/paste the part u want renamed to another layer and then name whole layer?

djwaterman
10-04-2015, 11:44 AM
There's nothing like the outliner in Modeler, indeed the Layers panel is about the closest, and in Layout its any of the three Scene or Dope Editors. About naming objects, in Modeler the whole file is considered an object which can be named when saving, made up of layers that can also be named. You would already know this. I think what you want to do is be able to name separate bits and pieces that are in the same layer. That is called creating parts. If you open the Detail Tab, down the side menu you will see "Create Part".
Imagine I have a layer that has two box shapes in it. If I select the polygons of one box and hit the Create Part tool, a naming menu opens and I can give it a name, Box A for example. Then I can select the other box and hit Create Part and name it Box B.

Now when I'm in that layer and I use "W" to open the statistics panel, I will see near the bottom of the list a name in the "Part" section. And if I click on that I will see the two names in there, selecting either name and clicking the + symbol will select it.

For me in Lightwave, this is not often needed as I just think of each layer as a part, and they are seen in Layout as separate objects that can be animated, whereas "parts" in Modeler are only useful for easy selecting, as far as I know they aren't recognised in Layout as independent geometry. It's a different workflow to Maya because of the split app nature of Lightwave.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2015, 11:47 AM
#aflw
There are a number of ways of delineating parts.... one of which is "Parts". Parts are polygons sets, analogous to Point Sets, which you should also master. Parts have the (odd?) property that polygons can ONLY be in ONE Part-- no sharing polygons. In practice, this is no big deal.

For any connected mesh, you most likely find yourself using SELECT CONNECTED a lot, since it's faster than the (rather stupid) method of selecting Parts, thru the STATISTICS window. (TMK, there is no native way of having a list of Parts open and selectable via one click. Dumb. There might be a 3rd party solution.)

There's several oddball ways of Selection, including SELECT BY SKETCH COLOR, that you may want to examine. It seems there must be a way to SELECT BY MAP, but I've never used it.

POINT SELECTION SETS are quite useful, and unlike Parts, can overlap as much as you like. For certain tasks it's perfectly viable to select via points, then use SEL POLYS to switch to polygons. Be aware that there are ambiguous cases, so it's not a perfect solution, but it works in probably 98% of situations.

To tell you the truth, between SELECT CONNECTED and Lasso Select and Layers, I rarely struggle. If you find yourself making a particularly difficult selection, it's certainly worthwhile to make a Part or Selection Set, and you may want to configure your keys/menus/windows so that it is convenient. One thing: the MAKE PART window is AMODAL, so it can stay open continuously.

You'll have grasped by now that your concepts must change slightly to conform to LW methodologies. You are making fine progress.

Snosrap
10-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Chamfer is very good at this. Hit subdivide (faceted) once and chamfer ALL the middle edges at the same time.

Hey that's pretty good. The downside is it doesn't remember last state and the amount is strictly distanced based and not percentage based. That's a big issue when you want to create another box of another size but want the same edge sharpness. I'm afraid BandsawPro is an indispensable tool and I hope it survives the transition to the new Unified Geometry Engine. :) Or at least have better tools that will give me those desired results.

JoePoe
10-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Ahhh, well then Rounder is much better. It remembers the last setting. Has presets. And can save user defined presets.

AND, if you use the same technique as with Chamfer.... (subdivide once then round all the center loops at once) the corners are exactly the same as BSPro and Chamfer.

I know you hate Rounder (certainly it can be troublesome at times), but just give it a try :).

There is still the difference of % vs distance tho. But the whole process is much faster.
_______
Don't get me wrong... I still like BSPro too of course. Multiple cuts and such.

Snosrap
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks JoePoe - that's what I like about LW, lots of ways to get the job done. :)

Snosrap
10-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Hey bellmore sorry to sidetrack your thread! Hopefully you'll discover like we have that there are lots of solutions to every possible desired result.

bellmore
10-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Create Part and selecting them in the Polygon Statistics is as close as I am going to get to an outliner (it's much the same). Thank you for the info about Create Part. I see that there are many ways to do things with the same result. Is it possible to get a gizmo in LW? It would make editing in the perspective window a little easier (I find it somewhat difficult to edit and create objects in the perspective view). I've done a search for widget and gizmo in the help file but there is nothing under those topics.

djwaterman
10-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes, the Transform Tool, Under Modify tab. Right mouse click on a polygon and it will appear, and open up the N numeric panel for more options. When a polygon is selected with it, you can hit E to extrude, and pull out new geometry. Also, make sure Action Center is set for the selection or mouse, this is AC tabs down the bottom of the viewport. If you're using 2015 this tool works really well, not so great in version 11.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Although I keep PARTS in mind, they are not a big part of my modeling workflow. Watch modeling demos to see how the LW workflow goes. --I don't think I've ever seen anyone else actually use them, though they have their place. Users Lewis and Tobian are probably 2 of the more intense modelers on the forum.

Several new-ish tools have gizmos, notably TRANSFORM and the tools with "AXIS ____" in their name.

As an old timer, I avoid modeling in the perspective window, old habits. You're probably better off talking to someone with more current contracts than I about that particular issue. I think plenty can be done in the orthogonal windows, enough for my simple needs.

Since you're new, I'll just warn you now: the TEXT tool is appallingly basic. Now you won't be surprised when you encounter it.

+++++++++
EDIT: Your comments in mind, I just tried a BEND operation in the Perspective window--WOW, that did NOT work at all! Surprisingly bad, esp. at the beginning of the bend. Not sure what's going on there.

Surrealist.
10-05-2015, 03:24 AM
We have discussed the bend tool here remember?:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133348-BENDING-using-the-previous-Bend-s-parameters

I think we covered how it is done and why with the classic Bend tool.

Also worth mentioning are the Fall off settings.

To OP:

This is a very very important thing to get your head around. We have discussed this at length in years past and I have not been able to find the threads.

Here is one:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?124005-moving-points-question

But the main thing is that there are three base tools.

Rotate
Scale
Move

And each one has the same exact built in fall off setting.

And these settings are what create other tools like, Vortex (based on the Rotate tool) and Dragnet (based on the Move tool)

When you open the Numeric panel for these tools you will see the settings.

And an important thing to remember when using all of the tools in Modeler is that Right Click is used to set and adjust influence areas. The influence areas usually turn up as Blue.

And Right Click is also used in some tools to confirm an operation and continue using the same tool. Where as Enter will finish the operation and close the tool.

OF course the 3rd Powers LW Brush tool seems very powerful. I have not used it. But others swear by it.

djwaterman
10-05-2015, 05:35 AM
One other handy thing to know when modelling, if you select some geometry and press Shift A, the view-port zooms into and centres around that geometry, so it makes getting around and working on the object much easier. This is basically a fit selected in view command.

Surrealist.
10-05-2015, 06:11 AM
Yep "f" in Maya. :)

"a" in Maya somewhat similar to "a" in LightWave. Which is fit all.

jeric_synergy
10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
The Bending behaviour I'm talking about in the Perspective window is: massive jumpiness at first, after which it settles down, but beyond a place where it's likely to be useful.

To experience this joy, make a long cylinder in the Y axis with plenty of divisions. Line up the Perspective window looking along the Y axis. Use Bend. Contrast the behaviour with that of the TOP view.

bellmore
10-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Thank you erikals for your video on snapping (was going to be next question). Got it, rotate,scale, move. Is scale the Size tool? I'm loving the Bend tool. The only thing about the bend tool is, I can't get it to constrain to one axis. If I want to bend on the Y, it bends every which way on all axes (depending on the view I'm looking at). In the numeric panel, I click auto and select an axis and when I start to bend, the axis is no longer selected. I hope that I am doing something wrong here. Fixed doesn't seem do do any better. The transform tool in LW 11 is kind of clunky (best that I can describe it). Everyone has been very helpful. I appreciate all of the inputs and feedback that I have gotten. Can I Take a curve and a piece of geometry and bend the geometry by manipulating the curve? I've started working on my first project. I just hope that I can take what I want to do and apply it to LW (with some good sketches and background references). One last thing for today. Is it possible to add a background image to the perspective view? The control for doing so is disabled. Is there maybe a work around?

Snosrap
10-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm loving the Bend tool. The only thing about the bend tool is, I can't get it to constrain to one axis. If I want to bend on the Y, it bends every which way on all axes (depending on the view I'm looking at). In the numeric panel, I click auto and select an axis and when I start to bend, the axis is no longer selected. I hope that I am doing something wrong here. Fixed doesn't seem do do any better.
Set a high value in the Fixed numeric entry field. Holding the CTRL key will keep the Angle to 15degree increments, so you could make a perfect 360degree donut if you wanted. -Not the best way to make one however. - :)

jeric_synergy
10-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Truly, the native Bend numeric panel is missing one parameter: make a flat rectangle w/a lot of divisions. Choose an axis, and bend it, sayyyy, 90. Now, move the mouse at right angles to whatever you moved it to make the bend. OBVIOUSLY, something is changing, but whatever value it is is not shown nor available to input into the Numeric panel.

It's crap, rubbish, b.s.

erikals
10-06-2015, 01:04 AM
Is scale the Size tool
yep, both the Scale tool and the Transform tool

The transform tool in LW 11 is kind of clunky
could be slightly better, but i like it quite a lot. what would you like to see fixed?

I'm loving the Bend tool
now that one is clunky to me http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif but check this video > http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6u2y1h676M

Can I Take a curve and a piece of geometry and bend the geometry by manipulating the curve?
only with a plugin... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iCNOkWYncs
but not realtime, for realtime, you have to do it in Layout using Spline Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTPk-wQhuk

Is it possible to add a background image to the perspective view?
no, i don't think there is a way...

Surrealist.
10-06-2015, 03:25 AM
Add a plane and give it an a planar image map. ;)

Well obviously this is not the same as giving it a camera background. Problem is there is no camera in Modeler. But for all practical purposes as far as modeling is concerned a plane will do it. Similar to how it would work in Zbrush.

bellmore
10-07-2015, 07:53 PM
I got C Bend but I haven't tried it out yet, Thank you erikals for the video demonstration of C Bend. I noticed magic bevel as well in the video. Yeah I created a plane with a planar image map, but I haven't been doing a lot of editing in the perspective view so I think I'm good. Thanks Snosrap for the bend tool tip. So far I have been able to get LightWave to do the things that I need done to finish my first project.

bellmore
10-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Is it possible to exclude surfaces or parts of objects from being rendered?

Snosrap
10-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Objects only. So in a multilayer object you can check "unseen by camera" in object properties panel render tab.

Dodgy
10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
You can place a gradient in the Clip Texture of a surface and that will stop it being rendered.

Surrealist.
10-10-2015, 01:02 AM
Since you have moved over to some rendering questions, as mentioned, Object Properties, "p". You will find a lot of options here that you'd find in the attribute editor for rendering, such as "Primary Visibility" and so on. In LightWave you have "unseen by camera" unseen by rays", etc.

Light Linking in Maya is equivalent to options you have in Light Properties ("p" when a Light is selected). In that panel you can find options to exclude objects from lights. And also control it the other way to remove Lights influence on Objects in the Object Properties.

All these areas give you the options you need to dial in the render and control what properties an object will render and which lights will or will not affect them.

Additionally to what was mentioned, depending on what you are doing, there is an option to render an object as a Mask. Useful for compositing. Don't have LW in front of me right now. I think that is also in Object Properties. Someone can confirm.

You can also use image maps to block out parts of an object. These are called Clip Maps. What Dodgy is referring to - I believe - and you could also clip out the whole object with a gradient, if I understood what he was getting at. But you can also clip portions of it out with a mask image.

bellmore
10-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Thank you all for all your help. I'm playing around with the clip maps. I see that "p" works for cameras and objects. I am struggling with lighting in Layout. I cannot seem to get a clean render. I am trying to place roof tiles on a roof. Is there some way to snap polygons onto the surface of other polygons? Is there some magic plugin? It would be similar to the paint poly in Maya, which allows you to place polygons on top of other polygons by clicking and dragging.

Surrealist.
10-13-2015, 07:43 PM
For the snapping there are some plugins. But I have grown out of touch with what works in current versions as well as what new features might handle that.

For the lighting, it is hard to advise with out more detail. But if you are using area lights, there is a property for samples which you will want to increase to get cleaner shadows. Other than that are you using GI at all" What is your light set up?

Sensei
10-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Is there some way to snap polygons onto the surface of other polygons? Is there some magic plugin? It would be similar to the paint poly in Maya, which allows you to place polygons on top of other polygons by clicking and dragging.

Push (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Push)tool for instance. This is the only one that works in perspective viewport. It doesn't snap to points of background polygons, but literally polygons (as area).

Snosrap
10-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Is there some way to snap polygons onto the surface of other polygons? Is there some magic plugin? It would be similar to the paint poly in Maya, which allows you to place polygons on top of other polygons by clicking and dragging. Use "Place Mesh" in the Multiply tab. It works by taking a background layer and interactively placing it on a foreground layer object. Or you can select some polygons and just press "Populate" in the Numeric Panel. In LW11.6 you could select points and then press "Populate", but for some reason that doesn't work in 2015.3!

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 11:15 PM
In LW11.6 you could select points and then press "Populate", but for some reason that doesn't work in 2015.3!
Is that function supposed to still work?

Bug report it if it is. EDIT: Working here.

bellmore
10-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Place mesh is working for me. Although I'm not going to redo my roof tiles. I spent too much time placing them haphazardly. Maybe if I try to model what I am modeling again. For Surrealist, my GI is set to 5%; I have not changed it. I believe this value to be the default. I will play with the GI value. Also is there a native way to get a good ambient occlusion render? I can get a great AO render in Maya without any further tweaking. Thanks Sensei for the link to the push tool, but I am not going to commit to LightWave just yet to justify buying a plugin (although I am close, LightWave is proving to be great, well rounded).

Edit: It looks like the True Art plugins are for sale, but are they? I click on one of the plugins and it allows me to download. Although I do not see a link to download Push, so I suppose it is for sale.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Without looking, bellmore, my guess is the deal is you get a BUNCH of tools with some of Sensei's offerings, and that PUSH is, I think, included in a package.

Sensei, just a noodge from a friend: your website can be a bit confusing, while also being rather verbose. You might want to have a fresh set of eyes look at it and offer some advice on structuring it.

Snosrap
10-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Is that function supposed to still work?

Bug report it if it is. EDIT: Working here.

So in LW2015.3 you can select several points and "Populate" meshes at those points? For one, Place Mesh ghosts out when I select points so that would indicate to me that the devs don't what that as an option. But 11.6 allowed for this and it was very handy - I used it a lot.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
So in LW2015.3 you can select several points and "Populate" meshes at those points? For one, Place Mesh ghosts out when I select points so that would indicate to me that the devs don't what that as an option. But 11.6 allowed for this and it was very handy - I used it a lot.
No you are correct, I missed that nuance-- , so you are explicitly prevented from doing this. (I tested w/o any Points selected.)

WHY they would remove that functionality is beyond me-- I suggest you make a Feature Request for them to reinstate that functionality.

Frankly, weird. :screwy:

+++++++++++++++++++

You can get about 25% of the way back using HIDE POLYGONS, but it's not a good work-around: you'll still have to delete a lot of extraneous placed meshes.
+++++++++++++++++++

2015 dox:

The Populate button creates a clone for each normal of a group of selected points or polygons,
depending on the selection mode. Use Random Pitch, Random Heading and Random Scale to
randomize these clones.

This would strongly imply to me that you can Select P/E/Ps and use Populate-- I think it's explicit. Report as bug.
+++++++++++++++

Note that Selected Edges also cause PLACE MESH to be ghosted, but not Polys.

Snosrap
10-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks jeric, bug report submitted.

ary3d
10-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Just a note, toolchef has a great free plugin for deformation:

https://www.toolchefs.com/?portfolio=v-deformer-2

greetings, David

bellmore
10-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Here is what I put together. I know there are some obvious flaws, but it was more of an experimentation with modeler. Sorry for the horrendous render.130446

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Nice work. Please share your thoughts about Modeler, and things that took you buy surprise, both pleasantly and ...not so pleasantly. ;)

Surrealist.
10-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Nice work!

Looks like you are well on your way. :)

Snosrap
10-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Very nice. I like it very much. Please show some wires!

jboudreau
10-20-2015, 07:43 PM

Definitely just a bug and not intentional since it works in lightwave version 2015.1 but not in 2015.2 or 2015.3

Thanks,
Jason

Snosrap
10-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Definitely just a bug and not intentional since it works in lightwave version 2015.1 but not in 2015.2 or 2015.3

Thanks,
Jason

Oh - so it did work in 2015.1. I didn't realize that as I jumped right to 2015.3. I reported it but I doubt it will get fixed as I suspect they are concentrating on 2016 right now. :)

jboudreau
10-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Oh - so it did work in 2015.1. I didn't realize that as I jumped right to 2015.3. I reported it but I doubt it will get fixed as I suspect they are concentrating on 2016 right now. :)

Yes just tested it. works great in 2015.1 but must of got broken in version 2015.2 and on

Thanks,
Jason

Ztreem
10-21-2015, 04:15 AM
only with a plugin... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

Don't forget the Spline Guide tool. It's not super good but it works if you don't do too advanced bends.

Ztreem
10-21-2015, 04:19 AM
Thanks erikals for the video links, they are helpful. Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. They have been quite helpful. One thing that I am noticing, there does not seem to be a distinction between object mode and edit mode. It seems to be in edit mode always, unless I am missing something. It makes it difficult to select individual objects. Everything seems to be just one big object. The only thing that I see that would allow me to work on individual pieces of geometry is to cut and paste into different layers. But then I have all these different layers and I would have to go around and cut and paste to get them back into a single layer. Is there a shortcut for selecting all of the layers at once? I haven't gone through all of erikals videos so maybe there is something there. Edit Edges is great but doesn't seem to completely cut through geometry. For example, if I have a house plan and I want to cut out some windows, Edit Edges does not appear to cut through the outside and interior walls like the Knife tool does.

To move different objects in the same layer, use the snap drag tool and open the numeric panel and set it to connected points.

You could also use the move tool or drag tool with a falloff set to Point radial and a very high value for radius like 10km (depends of the size of your objects).

bellmore
10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Thank you Ztreem for the tips. I think Modeler is great. I was able to touch on many of the tools to construct the house. I thought that I would not be able to model without a widget, but I have gotten used to not having it there. Half the time in other programs, say Maya, I have to constantly hide the widget because it can get in the way. With Modeler, there is nothing to get in the way. I also like the way that the cursor disappears when you use the tool. It doesn't obstruct your view. I have also found that most of the tools are comparable to the same tools in Maya, so I am happy with that. The only thing is getting around and locating the tools that I want to use, but I'm sure this will eventually become second nature. Another plus about Modeler is that everything has a name instead of icons. I think with icons I would still be trying to figure out what each of them does. Modeling the house introduced me to many of the tools. One tool that I absolutely love is Bevel. It is like having an inset tool, an extrude tool, and a size tool all in one command that is easy to use with a couple of mouse clicks (I just wish there was a way to get Bevel to extrude multiple polygons as a group instead of extruding them separately). I am used to modeling almost exclusively in the perspective view. For some reason it was a little difficult to model in the perspective view. I think having a widget in the perspective view would make editing objects easier in that view, although I am getting used to modeling without the widget which is a good thing. I would say for the most part, the tools performed their function each time I used them. For example, in Maya once in a while a tool that is selected will do nothing. One thing that I would like to see in modeler, is some kind of history. With history I can go back to an object and change the object's parameters. For example, if I create a cylinder with say 32 sides, I would be able to go back and change the sides to 60 at any time. Overall, I was impressed with LightWave. I also like the way that you can cut, copy, and paste instead of duplicating objects. The stretch tool was useful on more than one occasion. Another plus for modeler is the use of layers. Now if I could only understand Layout. Thank again for all the help that I received. Here are the wires,

Lewis
10-21-2015, 11:14 PM
...One tool that I absolutely love is Bevel. It is like having an inset tool, an extrude tool, and a size tool all in one command that is easy to use with a couple of mouse clicks (I just wish there was a way to get Bevel to extrude multiple polygons as a group instead of extruding them separately).

There is such tool, it's called Multishift in LWModeler. Just be sure you have numeric panel open (n key) so you can check "group polys" option among lot of other options like saving presets for "beveling/shifting".

jeric_synergy
10-22-2015, 12:03 AM
I can hear the celebrating.

bellmore
10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks Lewis. If I use Multishift and set Inset: Inner Edge and Shift: Local point normals and then chamfer the edges, I get exactly what I am looking for.

Lewis
10-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Thanks Lewis. If I use Multishift and set Inset: Inner Edge and Shift: Local point normals and then chamfer the edges, I get exactly what I am looking for.

Cool, good to hear it's working for you :).

djwaterman
10-22-2015, 11:05 AM
130475[/ATTACH]

Haven't you tried the transform tool yet? Isn't that what your asking for?

Nice work.

bellmore
10-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Is it possible to add a displacement map for a procedural texture to affect more than one axis at a time? I can only choose X, Y, or Z but not two at one time.

ernpchan
10-24-2015, 10:49 PM
You could add another displacement layer or do it via nodes.

Surrealist.
10-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Is it possible to add a displacement map for a procedural texture to affect more than one axis at a time? I can only choose X, Y, or Z but not two at one time.

I think you are looking for Normal Displacement. (not to be confused with normal map or using a normal map here. You are using a displacement map and displacing on the normals) This gives you basically the same as a displacement in Maya and other apps. Otherwise if just simple XYorZ you can do as ernpchan suggests.

Additionally you can check "Enable Bump" on the bump channel and add a displacement value on the geometry tab for the object. There is some limitation of one method over the other and I just forget what it is.

jeric_synergy
10-25-2015, 06:11 PM
You could add another displacement layer or do it via nodes.

To expand on that a bit: 3 layers, one for each axis, with blending modes such that they can contribute (or subtract!) from each other. Otherwise each layer is totally opaque and on the the topmost (?) contributes to the effect.

That question mark is in there because the layering system seemed to do some odd things sometimes, and EG the "alpha" blending mode never made sense to me. YMMV.

Surrealist.
10-25-2015, 07:33 PM
I am not sure you'd get good results with that. If you really need displacement on all three it would be more reliable to do it on normals.

jeric_synergy
10-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Doesn't 'normals' imply a single vector direction?

Surrealist.
10-25-2015, 11:23 PM
It does if there is only one face, or a cube would be 6 different normal directions.

On a mode complex shape with varying normals you want a projection across all of the poly normals. 3 vectors combined would not be the same thing. You want a calculation from the face normal not XYZ specifically which, well to be honest I have never done it, but in theory it would be something more abstract if that is what you wanted. But for practical purposes in most situations you just want normals, or a single vector.

BeeVee
10-26-2015, 04:43 AM
There is such tool, it's called Multishift in LWModeler. Just be sure you have numeric panel open (n key) so you can check "group polys" option among lot of other options like saving presets for "beveling/shifting".

Based on what Lewis said, and I'm sure he'll agree with me :), try keeping the numeric panel open all the time. In addition, the Layers panel (F7) and Statistics panel (W) are extremely useful to have open.

Yes, you lose a bit of screenspace, but these are so useful you don't mind... :)

B

erikals
10-26-2015, 04:47 AM
to save time on numeric open/close, i've remapped the 'n' key to the 'd' key... > faster

same with 'p' in layout... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVhn9ak8-Vc

BeeVee
10-26-2015, 05:00 AM
Hmm, I disagree with you there Erikals (unusually!). Perhaps you ought to make it clear if you are sinister or dexterous? ;) As a right-hander, hitting p is easy for me without letting go of my mouse.

(The WinRoll vid is nice afterwards though)

B
PS. Besides in Modeler I keep those panels open all the time...

erikals
10-26-2015, 05:28 AM
quite serious, the 'd' method is much faster

i'll never go back to n/p

but if people like the n/p method i say go with n/p http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
'n' and 'p' was of course not chosen because of speed, but because of 'n'umeric and 'p'roperties

this aside, it'll be interesting to see how the UI will be improved in upcoming versions of LightWave

jwiede
10-26-2015, 05:48 AM
Based on what Lewis said, and I'm sure he'll agree with me :), try keeping the numeric panel open all the time. In addition, the Layers panel (F7) and Statistics panel (W) are extremely useful to have open.

Now if there was just some way for LW to, I don't know, "attach" those panel windows to the main window, or put their contents in panes at relative-fixed positions within the main window. :devil:

erikals
10-26-2015, 05:52 AM
if there was just some way
autohotkey.com

i might write a script later on

BeeVee
10-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Now if there was just some way for LW to, I don't know, "attach" those panel windows to the main window, or put their contents in panes at relative-fixed positions within the main window. :devil:

I used to use a Snapping tool that was quite nice, but my dual monitor has one built-in.

B

BeeVee
10-26-2015, 07:53 AM
quite serious, the 'd' method is much faster

i'll never go back to n/p

but if people like the n/p method i say go with n/p http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
'n' and 'p' was of course not chosen because of speed, but because of 'n'umeric and 'p'roperties

this aside, it'll be interesting to see how the UI will be improved in upcoming versions of LightWave

Interesting. n and p are pretty quick for me (where necessary qv my earlier reply :)) but I am in great favour of changing the shortcuts. My students have AZERTY keyboards being in France so the ' in Modeler to swap FG and BG layers is near impossible to use, so I tell them to use x - it's quick mnemonic and they have no recollection of when LightWave used that as Cut...

B

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 10:52 AM
I agree w/Erikals on this one for "d", except I never close the Numeric panel in the first place. Should probably be noob-tip, #1 "Leave the Numeric panel open at all times".

Using the "d" key is a bit of genius-- "Display" is not really a workflow critical function, esp in Layout. :foreheads: I can't believe I didn't do this myself already, as I immediately changed "o" to "Objects Mode", instead of the brain-dead "Alt-o", bypassing the rarely used "Options". One uses Objects, Lights, and Camera constantly, they shouldn't be "alt+" hotkeys, that's nuts. --And "d" is right there in the home zone of the left hand.

Well-chosen, erikals.

ps: F2 should not be "Morph Mixer", fergahsake. Mine is "Graph Editor".
pps: the hotkey/macro I really want is "new layer, make old layer background".

erikals
10-26-2015, 12:55 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngjeric_synergy
I agree w/Erikals on this one for "d", except I never close the Numeric panel in the first place. Should probably be noob-tip, #1 "Leave the Numeric panel open at all times".
it's tricky, some like the right dock solution, but i prefer the classic way. the classic way however means that the numeric window easily can clutter the view, hence the need to remap from 'n' to 'd'

Using the "d" key is a bit of genius-- "Display" is not really a workflow critical function, esp in Layout. :foreheads: I can't believe I didn't do this myself already, as I immediately changed "o" to "Objects Mode", instead of the brain-dead "Alt-o", bypassing the rarely used "Options". One uses Objects, Lights, and Camera continuously, they shouldn't be "alt+" hotkeys, that's nuts. --And "d" is right there in the home zone of the left hand.

Well-chosen, erikals.
thanks, yes, it's a great speed boost http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

ps: F2 should not be "Morph Mixer", fergahsake. Mine is "Graph Editor".
agree

pps: the hotkey/macro I really want is "new layer, make old layer background".
bit different, but maybe try the plugin > send to background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZr4qwM0fk

erikals
10-26-2015, 01:17 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngBeeVee
I used to use a Snapping tool that was quite nice, but my dual monitor has one built-in.
jwiede, you could use allSnap i guess, seems to work so-so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeq7AG9f5qU

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 02:19 PM
bit different, but maybe try the plugin > send to background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZr4qwM0fk
#aflw I'll have to take a look at that, it's not quite what I need, although I've certainly seen that scenario many a time.

My usual click-stream is : next empty layer, alt+{previous-layer-number}. Not so much the c&p'ing. If I added a selection detect and just {did what I want} if zero is selected, then I'd probably get everything in one script/one key.

+ oh good, it's not compiled, so I can add to it. :thumbsup: