PDA

View Full Version : Problem calculating particle emitter

dalang13
10-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Hello... I had set up a flocking simulation which was at a point that the client liked but was unable to get Rebus renderfarm to source the calculation from either the cache or a pfx file so I was just getting blank frames back. As a work around I rebuilt the scene with a particle emitter with interaction driven by a an animation path wind. This achieved a (roughly) similar look to the flocking animation but I've hit a problem with the calculation. Every time I try calculating the dynamics the calculation cuts out suddenly. If I have the emitter emitting 20 particles per second then it cuts out around frame 120. If I reduce the number of particles emitted to 10 then it cuts out at around frame 60. If I switch off the wind then it calculated for the whole 500 frames so I'm guessing the wind is the culprit for some reason but I can't seem to figure out what that reason could be.

Has anyone encountered this problem before and found a solution? Or has anybody had any success sending a flocking animation to an online renderfarm like Rebus?

Deadline is looming so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ernpchan
10-01-2015, 09:22 PM
When you save out the cache file, it's just a matter of pointing to the cache file. If you can render locally with that setup, the render service should be able to do the same. Are you sure the cache file isn't corrupted?

Not sure about your disappearing particle problem. Hard to diagnose without the file.

MonroePoteet
10-02-2015, 04:34 AM
The Rebus render farm website doesn't specify what version of LW they have loaded. Perhaps it's an incompatible version?

I'm using LW 11.6.3, and when I use the File=>Package Scene function and specify "Preserve Existing Structure", it correctly packs up the scene with the flock cache in the Dynamics subfolder where it got placed when I did the "Save Cache" and set the "Use Cache" button under the Flocking=>Cache panel. I'd certainly expect that to propagate correctly to a render farm, but I've never done it myself.

The packaged scene is attached. If you can unzip it and see the (VERY simple) flocking on your system, I'd certainly expect the render farm to see it if the LW version is compatible.

mTp

dalang13
10-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi. Thanks for the tips. Went back to the flocking route as the movement was better, but am still having trouble getting the necessary .fcache file to upload with the scene when I send it to Rebus. It uploads the .dynacache file but it doesn't upload the .fcache. I'm in touch with Rebus support to sort out the problem but really appreciate your help.

MonroePoteet
10-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Ah, OK. I wonder if you could simply name the flocking cache with a .dynacache extension and their upload procedure would pick it up. Flocking doesn't appear to *require* the .fcache extension. At least in V11.6.3 I was able to explicitly name the file Flock1.dynacache and it worked.

mTp

dalang13
10-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help... I got in touch with Rebus and they rewrote their script to make sure all cache files are uploaded for the flocking system so nobody should have this problem going forward.

Greenlaw
10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Glad you got that resolved.

I know a while back I had trouble getting Flocking cache files to render over Deadline and I think BNR too. It turned out that I needed to set the cache path manually to an absolute path because the default relative path wasn't being seen by the render controllers. Just an FYI in case you still run into this problem.

G.