PDA

View Full Version : Default values for TCB

pablogreg
10-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Hello,

In my workflow, almost always, I use -1 for Tension, and I need to either adjust each keyframe or enter the Graph editor, select all the points and smooth the curves. Right now, all the keyframes I create are set with default values of 0.

Is possible to assign default values for TCB?

Thanks!

Waves of light
10-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Taken from another thread, which was posted in 2005, so I cannot confirm compatibility with current LW versions. Please test accordingly before using on a live project.

Save this following script as a .ls script. Add as a plug and put anywhere in your menu setup.

@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("SetTCB 1.000 0 0");
}

djwaterman
10-01-2015, 02:45 AM
I don't know how, but I saw someone do it years ago, where you can set the keys to default to a certain type. It was an animation company using Lightwave and they where doing it, but I never took note at the time, have to assume it's still possible.

Waves of light
10-01-2015, 02:53 AM
I don't know how, but I saw someone do it years ago, where you can set the keys to default to a certain type. It was an animation company using Lightwave and they where doing it, but I never took note at the time, have to assume it's still possible.

That's interesting. Wonder if they were using some sort of LS Script Modifier in the Graph Editor, that set all new TCBs to -1?

djwaterman
10-01-2015, 04:35 AM
I'm probably just talking about the default incoming curve in the graph editor options. It really should have a user defined option as well in there.

ernpchan
10-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Does RH's toolbox have anything that would help with this?

Waves of light
10-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Does RH's toolbox have anything that would help with this?

I think you're right. Something in the Animation Toolbox takes all curves and allows you to set them as TCB, with prefered constraints. I'd have to check.

RebelHill
10-01-2015, 07:39 AM
I cant see how setting tension to -1 for every key is much more of a help... its just a different set of problems compared to 0. Normally, the best place to start is with a simple, smooth interpolation, which the animation toolbox's flatten holds (or quick clean) tool will do for you in a click...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdU9SYS7_U&index=38&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX

daforum
10-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Taken from another thread, which was posted in 2005, so I cannot confirm compatibility with current LW versions. Please test accordingly before using on a live project.

Save this following script as a .ls script. Add as a plug and put anywhere in your menu setup.

@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("SetTCB 1.000 0 0");
}

Thanks Waves of light :)
If needed to make 2 more scripts ( Continuity and Bias ) is it true to say just change the values?
ie: "SetTCB 0 1.000 0" for Continuity etc

Waves of light
10-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks Waves of light :)
If needed to make 2 more scripts ( Continuity and Bias ) is it true to say just change the values?
ie: "SetTCB 0 1.000 0" for Continuity etc

Hi Daforum,

Yes, I would expect that to be the case. But like RH said above, for animation use the clean up function Flatten Holds in the RH tools.

MonroePoteet
10-02-2015, 03:09 AM
I almost always set Tension to 1.0 to "ease-in, ease-out" my keys, and it would be VERY nice if in the Graph Editor=>Options panel we could not just specify the default key type (e.g. TCB Spline, Linear, Step, etc.), but if the key type has associated parameters, be able to specify default values for those (e.g. if key type is TCB Spline, be able to specify default Tension, Continuity and Bias values).

mTp

Luc_Feri
10-02-2015, 07:51 AM
A quick question. Eg, I have the back legs controllers selected, created my keys, open graph editor and ammend my curves, drop the back legs but graph editor still open. Then I select the front legs which already have some keys do I have to close and reopen the graph editor to get just my specific front leg channels?

Is there a quicker way to avoid keep opening and closing graph editor to show specifically selected channels, tell me there is a quick way. I want to leave graph editor open permanently on the 2nd monitor :D

RebelHill
10-02-2015, 08:18 AM
shift-G will load channels of selected items, or turn on "tack layout selection" in graph editor options for auto drop/load of channels based on selection.

Luc_Feri
10-02-2015, 08:19 AM
shift-G will load channels of selected items, or turn on "tack layout selection" in graph editor options for auto drop/load of channels based on selection.

Great thanks for that Craig!