PDA

View Full Version : FReq: EMBEDDED LIGHTS IN LWOs (!!!)

jeric_synergy
09-30-2015, 12:13 PM
FReq: While Luxigons allow a way of associating Lights with meshes, they are too limited IMO/YMMV. For one thing, they don't include many of the possible light parameters, especially volumetric settings.

Light definitions can't be THAT verbose: I suggest we simply EMBED LIGHTS DIRECTLY IN THE LWO.

This would :
permanently associate lights with a given mesh
make obsolete light-oriented "LOAD FROM SCENE" operations
ease rigging of light-intensive models such as buildings, cities, and spaceships.... but mostly spaceships.
And other vehicles. :)

Comments, please, before I make the official Request.

RudySchneider
09-30-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around WHY you think this is desirable or provide an advantage, given that an object --- or light for that matter --- can be placed anywhere in a scene. Moreover, won't this impose on the ability to pose and require that you'll need to alter lighting to suit the "mood" of a scene, anyway?

What's wrong with creating a dummy scene(s) in which you've created a given lighting scheme and use that as a base setup for new scenes?

jeric_synergy
09-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Have you seen the number of lights on a spaceship, or even a maritime super-tanker? Even an automobile has quite a few lights. Or a maritime oil rig.

Why use LOAD FROM SCENE when you can avoid it? And what happens if the 'lighting scene' gets separated from the mesh?

Let's go with a car: 2 headlights, 2 running lights, interior illumination, 2 taillights, 2 backup lights, one rear license plate light. That's ten. If they come in with the mesh, you've avoided that labor.

Imagine you're lighting the Galactica-- how many lights on that thing?

An oil rig: dozens of lights, both illumination and navigational.

MOOD: ??? I don't get why this would be a question, it's just saving the animator the labor of adding and placing lights on a mesh.

RudySchneider
09-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Ahhhhh, the light dawns! I hadn't even considered an object that includes (many) light itself! In that case, I definitely see the utility!

daforum
10-05-2015, 01:57 AM
It would be good to have in Modeler something similar to "Point Clone Plus"
Something like "Light Clone Plus" where lights are cloned on background points, then save it as a .lwo ( or even inventing a new file a .lwl (lightwave lights)

Lewis
10-05-2015, 03:46 AM
It would be good to have in Modeler something similar to "Point Clone Plus"
Something like "Light Clone Plus" where lights are cloned on background points, then save it as a .lwo ( or even inventing a new file a .lwl (lightwave lights)

We have Luxigons so you can convert them into lights with 2 clicks in layout.

daforum
10-05-2015, 03:52 AM
Oh I know about Luxigons I was just imagining something else.
Auto Luxigons might be better: a 1 click solution :dance:

jeric_synergy
10-05-2015, 09:01 AM
We have Luxigons so you can convert them into lights with 2 clicks in layout.
Aren't luxigons quite limited in the lighting information you can embed in them?

Ideally, I'd like to have ALL the Layout lighting features available. In fact, it would make more sense if this were a LAYOUT feature: you'd set the lights up, Select them, and hit "Embed in Mesh".

hrgiger
10-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Irrelevant since Modeling is moving to Layout eventually anyway.

ianr
10-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Yep,!
Makes it Slicker ;on load ; for clients eyes
Especially in VRP window,permiates the
Out of the Box solution surely.?

jeric_synergy
10-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Indeed: the lack is quite silly. They went like 1% of the way there with Luxigons, a solution only a programmer would like.

ianr
11-03-2015, 04:49 AM
just a small heads up to include i n 2016
surely a little pit stop in code terms guy's ?