PDA

View Full Version : el capitan compatibility

OneShot
09-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Has anyone tested El Capitan with with 2015? If so what Macintosh do you use?

Markc
09-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Even if it does work ok, I would wait at least a couple of months to find out which other apps might not work.

OneShot
09-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Basically the same here just waiting. I'm on a Mac Pro (2009), I'm not too hot on the Mac Pro 2013 spec and vid (ATI vs. Nvidia) cards, plus lack of card slots except with an expensive thunder expansion box. SMH!

raw-m
10-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Been trying it on a non-mission critical machine and happy to say, so far all seems to be running well - really well in fact! It could be just the gloss of a new OS but performance in nice and quick. I've tested a couple of old projects using exrTrader and 3rd Powers Lattice and Cage deformers - no issues.

Leo Chen
11-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Has anyone tested El Capitan with with 2015? If so what Macintosh do you use?

I am using LightWave 2015 with Mac OS X EI Capitan.

I have found something "strange" but I just can not tell if that is my problem or LightWave 2015(+Mac OS X EI Capitan).
For example, the object may disappear sometimes when "adding displacement" in LightWave Layout.

CaptainMarlowe
11-02-2015, 02:52 AM
No problem so far for me. El Capitan, LW2015 and iMac i7 late 2012. I'll buy a 2010 loaded mac pro with a GTX 980ti from create.pro in the coming weeks, but I plan to revert to Yosemite to keep a software raid0 which is not possible anymore in El Capitan except by using softraid which is really expensive.

LW_Will
11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm using both "The Captain" and my Mac Book Air 13" Late Model 2014 and everything seems fine to me.

What kind of a computer are you using, Leo?

brbonline
11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
I tested the demo for 2015.3 on the 27" iMac released at the end of last year and it seems to work correctly. LW 11.6.3, however, is a problem. Layout won't draw any of the viewports and it crashes after trying to do anything with the UI. Modeler seems to work ok. According to support they were able to get that version to work with the new OS, so it's probably a graphics driver update or something. Either way I'm stuck; it's hard to justify the upgrade price right now so it's probably time to dust off the old Windows box for Layout and learn to love working with one monitor.

Leo Chen
11-02-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm using both "The Captain" and my Mac Book Air 13" Late Model 2014 and everything seems fine to me.

What kind of a computer are you using, Leo?

Mac mini 2011 16GB Thunderbolt 3TB

LW_Will
11-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Mac mini 2011 16GB Thunderbolt 3TB

Hmm... you might be getting some problems with the i3 (i5?) and the Intel based graphics. If that object can come back when the displacement is used, fine. If it goes away permanently... you might use a more powerful system. Did I mention Hackintosh? ;-)

Leo Chen
11-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Hmm... you might be getting some problems with the i3 (i5?) and the Intel based graphics. If that object can come back when the displacement is used, fine. If it goes away permanently... you might use a more powerful system. Did I mention Hackintosh? ;-)

Yes, my Mac mini is i5 with intel CPU.

Somebody say LightWave 3D is made by fairy, not factory.
He can say that again...

Leo Chen
11-04-2015, 03:39 PM

"enable and dis-enable" the displacement will bring the display of the object back!!!
But not after using the displacement.

BTW, Does LightWave 3D not like Intel CPU?

Leo Chen
11-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Nope.
I do not use Hackintosh.

My Mac mini is made by apple.
But I upgrade it to 16G RAM and use external thunderdrive as system drive.

blindsided
11-05-2015, 06:32 AM
No Lightwave Issues here, but a few Adobe related problems although AE seems OK.

JoePoe
11-05-2015, 07:00 AM
BTW, Does LightWave 3D not like Intel CPU?

I believe he was referring to the GPU. Specifically the integrated Iris.
There may be a driver issue with the Iris in El Capitan when it comes to LW, but in general, I just don't think it's enough for heavy lifting.

Leo Chen
11-05-2015, 08:36 AM
I believe he was referring to the GPU. Specifically the integrated Iris.
There may be a driver issue with the Iris in El Capitan when it comes to LW, but in general, I just don't think it's enough for heavy lifting.

Thank you, JoePoe.

Yes, my Mac mini is equipped with intel GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000).

JoePoe
11-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Thank you, JoePoe.

Yeah, so if the Iris has trouble the HD G will really struggle.
They're both better suited for gaming anyway... Although certainly not the top of the line for that either.

I suspect you just hit a performance ceiling. You were doing a displacement right,... so I assume your mesh was fairly dense.

Leo Chen
11-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Yeah, so if the Iris has trouble the HD G will really struggle.
They're both better suited for gaming anyway... Although certainly not the top of the line for that either.

I suspect you just hit a performance ceiling. You were doing a displacement right,... so I assume your mesh was fairly dense.

Although Mac mini is not pro type machine, it is very good in quality and "baby-proof"!

LW_Will
11-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Thank you, JoePoe.

I think I see your problem. ;-)

the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is in the 2011 i5. I have, as I suspect most of the people here, have the newer i5 (later 2014) with Intel HD 5000 graphics chip. More capacity for the graphics. Unfortunately, you have little you can do to fix the cababilities of that CPU. One is, by a later model of mac mini, or, as I said before, go for a Hackintosh. ;-)

Hackintosh is NOT a bad word around these parts. It would get you more capabilities and more options for your system. Either that, or you could build a PC and download the software from Newtek for the Windows version. ;-)

Leo Chen
11-06-2015, 01:55 AM
I think I see your problem. ;-)

the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is in the 2011 i5. I have, as I suspect most of the people here, have the newer i5 (later 2014) with Intel HD 5000 graphics chip. More capacity for the graphics. Unfortunately, you have little you can do to fix the cababilities of that CPU. One is, by a later model of mac mini, or, as I said before, go for a Hackintosh. ;-)

Hackintosh is NOT a bad word around these parts. It would get you more capabilities and more options for your system. Either that, or you could build a PC and download the software from Newtek for the Windows version. ;-)

Thank you, LW_Will.

Yes, I desperately need a more powerful computer.
But it is sad that Apple does not allow non-apple products to run their Mac OS!

Checharini3
11-14-2015, 03:20 PM
I am using a Mac Pro 2015 and a macbook 15 inches 2014, both with El Capitan, in every case LW (modeler and layout) worked OK.

ianr
11-17-2015, 05:39 AM
Some Compositors on other app forums are screaming about Adobe issues on the
Capitan,power users on large AE files are tearing tbere hair out with backward bulk
render times on the new Mac pros. I seems that they are slapping Yosimite back on.
You its not always rosy in other gardens. AE is yesterday DFusion is tomorrow.