PDA

View Full Version : :) SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE 9/30: deadline=10/12: Door and Window Fantasy

unstable
09-30-2015, 09:35 AM
SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE 9/30: deadline=10/12: "Door and Window Fantasy"

Theme!
DOOR AND WINDOW FANTASY!
You must model a Door and Window. This can be separate objects or a door containing one or more windows. However, as a slight twist, I’d like specify a mood for the final render, which may impact your model design. The render mood is optional, but you’ll gain extra points if you render your object creating a “Fantasy Mood”. You might want to keep that in mind while planning your model. (See Render and Post Work below)

LIMITATIONS: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

CONDITIONS: Winning entries will include a 'final' render AND a wireframe render --this is mandatory. Also appreciated is a post detailing any and all techniques, tools, plugins, and resources used in the generation of your image. Also, running times are nice. You may optionally upload your mesh and scene to share and/or allow other forum users to tweak.

Other threads detail how to get that cool "solid wireframe" render so often used or you might be able to take screen shots of the model in Modeler. Also if you're using LW 2015, it’s just a matter of checking a box in object settings. Otherwise, you have to use the polygon coloring plugin from here http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break it up as needed, but do keep track. Again, honor. If you run over, please submit your work anyway so we can see what 120+30 minutes of work looks like. (However, you cannot win if you go over. Time management is also a professional skill.)

RENDER and Post Work: (I’m throwing in this twist just to see how it works out.) There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a fantasy mood. This can be a happy fantasy (think Lomax, Pixar, Disney, etc.) or a dark fantasy (think Wizard of OZ, Gotham, Alice in Wonderland, etc.). You can do post work and composites on the final render as well, just let us know what you did and how much time it took you to do it.
Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!! So, have at it!

JoePoe
09-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Cool.

(and a bump to get it above the previous challenge)

Surrealist.
09-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Quick question. Because for the first time ever in all of the modeling challenges you picked something that fits in with a personal project I am working on in my free time.

And that is, the planning time. Does that include drawing layout plans?

And also something maybe I am not clear on. With textures, if you decide to do UV mapping and then baking and all of that, is uv mapping included in the mesh construction? I guess not, but want to ask to be specific.

unstable
09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Surrealist. I think drawing out plans is free as long as you are not modeling (in modeler). I'm not yet very good at UV mapping, but since I'm responsible for this challenge, I'll do my best to make a decision. I think the uv mapping is free time providing you don't start tweaking the geometry of the model to work better with the UV, then you are still modeling at that point. Since I don't know all the ins and outs of baking and uving, let me just say for the sake of this challenge, that any time you take to add or modify geometry in Modeler uses time of the two hours allotted. Adding a bump map in Layout that morphs or displaces the geometry does not count as modeling time. Does this answer your questions?

Surrealist.
09-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Yeah that is cool. Usually when I UV map I am not changing the geometry. But I'll keep it in mind and make note of any changes if I do and add it to the challenge time. Assuming I can even take the time between now and the deadline. ;) Hopefully I will.

At any rate looking forward to checking out other entries.

jeric_synergy
09-30-2015, 02:11 PM
In retrospect, I wish I had deleted the "modeling" and just called it "SPEED CHALLENGE!" I think that more accurately conveys the intent-- it's more than modeling.

Future judges of course can do as they wish.

Surrealist.
09-30-2015, 02:17 PM
True but I like the idea of the modeling challenge and being timed on modeling only. And then yo get free time to make it purdy... :)

Surrealist.
10-02-2015, 06:46 AM
OK, Looks like I am going to get the party started. I have just been doing research and some planning at this point.

In my project there will be a lot of geometry in each scene so I have planned things with instances. So not only are the objects themselves built up with instanced parts, the whole grouping, in this case a window frame will be instanced several times.

The portion I will do as a part of this challenge is a display window of a store front.

With more or less this type of design:

I wont be modeling anything around it, but I will model the frame itself, the window of course, and the flooring in the display area as well as the outside, bricks or whatever it I decide.

Probably no time for the door in this challenge. Just the display window.

Then I will as a continuation of the fantasy theme, fill the display area with furniture I have modeled previously in LightWave.

Similar to a set up like this:

These will not be a part of the challenge but it is in the plan for my project to have these on display. And hopefully I will have time to texture this and render it.

The modeling challenge part will be only the display window itself.

Hope this is OK. If not let me know.

unstable
10-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Surrealist, this sounds great and I see no problem in using extra models for your scene as long as you show a clear view of the challenge model in the Wire render. You also mention that you may not have time to model a door and want to remind you that the challenge is Door And Window, not Or Window. So to meet the challenge criteria you must model a Door and a Window OR a door with a window in it. I suppose a qualifying entry could also be a Window with a Door in it. What you have planned sounds exciting and I look forward to seeing your end result, but I wanted to make sure you understood the requirements of the challenge.

Surrealist.
10-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Ah Good. OK I kinda wanted to make a door too. But with the current plan I am not sure there is time. But I did not get the "And" specification. Glad you caught that.

Hmmm... I wonder if I should just make a door with a window. I'll work it out one way or the other.

And by the way, yeah I plan on showing the challenge object wires and all completely separate from the rest so it is clear.

pinkmouse
10-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, so went for the first thing that came off the top of my head, a cartoon cottage:

Really nothing complicated here at all, just basic subD modelling:

Ran out of time to do the walls and ground properly, so just flat planes with bump maps for now.

Surrealist.
10-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Great Submission.:thumbsup:

unstable
10-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Really great first entry pinkmouse!! I really like it. Nicely creative, simple and clean wires with a definite fantasy mood in the render. Way to get us started!!:thumbsup: edit: actually the render is pretty straight forward, but the model style creates a fantasy mood. I just wanted to clarify. Still a great submission.

Kryslin
10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Going Minecraft Style...!
Surfaced :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_surfs_zpsq6zpch5d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_surfs_zpsq6zpch5d.jpg.html)

Some textures courtesy of Lightwave, Some courtesy of the texture pack I use in Minecraft.

Wires (not much difference) :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_wire_zpslwucbtiv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_wire_zpslwucbtiv.jpg.html)

I'll provide wires in areas of interest, if requested.

I chunk out of one of my current minecraft construction projects...

unstable
10-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the submission Kryslin! Please submit the wires so I can tell what was modeled and what is texture. The wires will also help others that view the thread that might not know either. I've never seen minecraft, but this looks pretty good.

Kryslin
10-05-2015, 10:50 AM
The wires are the second image - since each block = 1 m, the wires are kinda hard to make out, since most of the bevels are > 0.010 meters.

I'll render a close up image of a door near the pull.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_wire_2_zpsui7tancn.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-002_wire_2_zpsui7tancn.jpg.html)

The windows themselves are a textured box, with the image pulled from my minecraft texture pack. The rest is modeled, with Lightwave doing the heavy work.

unstable
10-07-2015, 12:01 PM
I thought I'd try my own challenge. I can't win it of course. The door itself took about an hour to model. However, the hat took me forever and then there was the texturing. I didn't get either hat to turn out the way I wanted. I was trying to make it look like a felt material, but I just don't have the skills for that yet. I just put a picture inside the hat. If I had any organic models I had created, I would have put one in instead.

jeric_synergy
10-07-2015, 12:10 PM
For laughs, you should try to remodel the door from scratch. I've found that once you've done a model you can recreate it in 1/4th the time the original took.

pinkmouse
10-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Not mine! Select polys, bandsaw, repeat....:)

unstable
10-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Part of the reason it took an hour is because I did it on my Surface which is a pain to do anything quickly.

rifenbury
10-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Here's my submission: a demented version of a Dr. Seuss style house. I ran right up to the 120 minute modeling limit, which is why some areas are a bit more poly-heavy than what would be ideal. Texturing and lighting took about another two hours, mostly because I was playing around with exactly what I wanted to do with it.

I used this birdhouse as a general reference:

And the model:

Surrealist.
10-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I really like that one!

I went overtime up to this point.

Here it is:

First thing I have tried to model in Modeler in about 6 years.

Now that I was acclimated with Modeler I was going to retool and pick another one to do but ran out of time with work and travel.

So I respectfully bow out.

Maybe next time. :)

pinkmouse
10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Nice one RB!

Shame you ran out of time Richard, that's looking really good. Will we get to see the finished article?

Surrealist.
10-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I don't think finishing it is in the cards for anything to do with this challenge. My personal work goes so slow around work work.

But I think I will update my WIP with renders of a bunch of objects I modeled in LW some years ago. Been playing around with Renderman lately and digging it.

But when 2016 comes out, if relatively soon, I may give that a go as well.

Anyway it was fun to revisit modeler. :)

JoePoe
10-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Over and out.
(...for no good reason too, just got bogged down on the tree.)

130284 130286

Surrealist.
10-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Love the concept. :)

OnlineRender
10-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Over and out.
(...for no good reason too, just got bogged down on the tree.)

130284 130286

awesome stuff lads, JoePoe stole my idea :) nice model mate.

bazsa73
10-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I'm burned out but I love this thread.

caustics
10-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Hi, freshly out from the LW Oven ;-)

My approach is a "Can House" inspired by a property alike from "A Bug's Life" ... Remember? I love that movie!

This time I approached the challenge a different way. First I did a rough sketch to set down a list of properties to be modeled. The main property is the Can itself where the corrosion holes account for the window and the open Cap accounts for the door. All in all four layers in Modeler with the pivot of the door aligned to be able to open/close it later in Layout.

For the modeling of the Can I did it the other way around. First I choosed an image for the can's label, placed some corrosion holes on it and saved it out (time not accounted). Then loaded it into modeler and drew a 2D segmented box (created UV mapped) over it (to scale). Then I drew the holes with the pen on layer 2 and drill-tunnel. This was very easy and fast.Then used the Bend tool to wrap it into a cylinder. points merged, thicken, done. The Top and Bottom from the Can are simple cylinders; some edit edges, multi shift, bevel, some jitter on the points of the door cutout line to get it irregular.

Core Properties (within 120min Time Limit):
1) 1 Can modeled from scratch as described above
2) 1 Border Stone (Segmented Box shift-D, invisible polys cut away)
3) 1 Road Stone (Segmented Box shift-D, invisible polys cut away)
4) 1 Pebble (Ball deformed)
5) 1 Bunch of Grass (Segmented Box Stretched and Bent, Cloned)
6) 1 Ground plane (Segmented Box, Jittered and Bent)

Additional Properties (beyond 120 min Time Limit):
1) Glasses with rotatable arms
2) Simplified LED lamp housing for 'street lamp'

Setup in Layout and Texturing was entirely done out of the time limit. Surfaces still not finished mostly stock textures. Lighting is roughly where I wanted it to be. Except Volume lighting this is just for testing out. Still to be tuned.

130296 130297

Regards.

JCG
10-12-2015, 06:45 AM
awesome stuff lads, JoePoe stole my idea :) nice model mate.

Oh, LOL, does everyone think of trees when people say "door?" That's what I did too :)
But I went over the 60 minutes by a full 10 minutes so it doesn't count anyway.

I could hear all the speed modeling joints creaking after all this time :D

pinkmouse
10-12-2015, 06:47 AM
This week's challenge was 120min. You've got 50min to go away and make it better! :D

Surrealist.
10-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Love the can. That is brilliant.

jeric_synergy
10-12-2015, 10:17 AM
The can is brilliant. Nice stump surface.

Got all the my parts modeled, gotta Layout 'em.

rifenbury
10-12-2015, 11:52 AM
loaded it into modeler and drew a 2D segmented box (created UV mapped) over it (to scale). Then I drew the holes with the pen on layer 2 and drill-tunnel. This was very easy and fast.Then used the Bend tool to wrap it into a cylinder. points merged, thicken, done.

That's totally genius. I never would have thought to approach it that way! Great work.

jeric_synergy
10-12-2015, 03:01 PM
OK, here's my offering:

ZERO planning-- that was not smart. Also, spent 'wayyyy too much time repairing holes in the subd mesh of the pumpkin, especially bits that would never be seen-- also, not smart. (Don't fix the insides of things... d'oh! :foreheads: )

Had I not wasted that time, I would have added more detail to the door and windows, and maybe got some stars in the backg. And there would have been a bit more variety in the groundcover. ;) As it was, because of the liberal Layout and Surfacing policy on this challenge, I was able to illuminate that finely modeled door handle. :cough: --One aspect of the "no planning" strategy was it was difficult to find a good angle that included both the door AND the window. Bad design fail there.

Interesting bits were: I painted a weight map on the terrain just to deform it with some control, and used the TEXTURE (!) capabilities of good ol' MOVE to add some automatic variance-- those old tools have some miles left in them. Then it turned out that I could use that same weight map to control the color of the terrain, AND use it yet again to modulate the instances of the (sole) grass clump and the mushrooms. OBTW, the mushrooms are supposed to help meet the 'fantasy' parameter of this challenge.

I really liked the projected light on the path from the door, unfortunately it kinda got lost in the final render. :(

Attached find the complete Scene and assets.

unstable
10-12-2015, 03:26 PM
LMAO!! Jeric.... really good model but I have to laugh at your statement about adding the mushrooms, as if it's not fantasy for a pumpkin to have a window and door. But they are a nice touch.:thumbsup: Everyone made some great contributions this week!! You guys are really making my job hard.:D

OnlineRender
10-12-2015, 05:33 PM
can't really say its the best modelling in the world ,just done the whole thing in the 120 min allocated time slot, including render ...
that's why I like LW , can get shots out the door really quick , get it out the door " thanks here all day"

1 poly clip map for the woman ... who needs high polyz :D
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130315&d=1444689102

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlt1/t31.0-8/12091246_1102330086458002_6253989782781282899_o.jp g

OnlineRender
10-12-2015, 06:02 PM
soz big images...

hrgiger
10-12-2015, 09:03 PM
haha Steph...

Surrealist.
10-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Yeah great last two entries. But with all due respect, I vote for the can based on originality within the context of the challenge.

Good to see these back. :)

Usually I am just a silent observer.

JCG
10-13-2015, 12:43 AM
Nice stump surface.

Yes! That's a beautiful bark texture. It was a free gift from Newtek a few years back.
I didn't do it justice with those quick UVs.

This week's challenge was 120min. You've got 50min to go away and make it better! :D

Oh, lol, that's so like me >_<;

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 01:55 AM
Yes! That's a beautiful bark texture. It was a free gift from Newtek a few years back.
Is it in one of the LW Contents? 'Cuz I have them all.

unstable
10-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Thank you all for such wonderful entries. I was really pleased to see some of you that haven’t participated in the past, jump in and give it a go! They were all great modeling jobs, but several stood out in modeling and in meeting the fantasy criteria. Jeric, your pumpkin is great! I love the Dr. Seuss style displayed by rifenbury as well. Surrealist, I’d like to see your model completed and rendered and thanks for giving it a shot. Stump houses were popular as JCG’s inset door displayed and JoePoes attempt (both great entries). (good entry, I wonder who lives there?) Kryslin and pinkmouse with solid entries as well, but I’d give an edge to pinkmouse simply due to meeting the fantasy aspect a little better (extra points). Although I’m a dark fantasy fan and OnlineRender really sparked that side of me, I have to award the prize to the entry with that contained what I thought to contain great modeling, creativity, scene set up and render!!! And the winner is caustics!!!!:thumbsup:

A wonderful job by all and I look forward to the challenge caustics creates for us.

pinkmouse
10-13-2015, 09:09 AM
A worthy winner. Well done Caustics!

rifenbury
10-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Well deserved, Caustics! I'm excited to see what you'll think up for us.

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Well done, Caustics! Hit all the major bells! :thumbsup:

Surrealist.
10-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Yep. Absolutely would have been my pick too. Congrats!

OnlineRender
10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Yep. Absolutely would have been my pick too. Congrats!

congrats , keep the momentum up , NEXT!

hrgiger
10-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Yes, hopefully I will have time tobdo an entry for the next one.

caustics
10-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Hi folks I am very glad and honored that my humble scene has been considered to become the winner of this episode.

As always, It has been a great pleasure to participate and to see the great stuff and enriching ideas others are producing.

Now I am looking to drive this forward to the next episode.

Stay tuned ... this forum ... this night ... it will happen!!!

jeric_synergy
10-13-2015, 06:34 PM
One thing: I would have effectively had TWICE the time if I owned 3rdPowers (http://3rdpowers.com/)"MetaMesh (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctESAMUQYv8)" -- futzing around with the byblow from Boolean operations is for suckers.

JCG
10-13-2015, 11:37 PM
That can was pure genius!

Is it in one of the LW Contents? 'Cuz I have them all.

No, it was on the website: Free gift for all LW users, you can DL these high res textures. The file is actually called: newtek_bark01. I had forgotten how long ago it was but the file has a modified date of ‎October ‎26, ‎2002. One of the lucky survivors of the Great HDD Crash of '05 (thanks File Scavenger!). It had to be that far back since I remember it took a long time and a few redials to download the 2MB file.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2015, 12:08 AM
Thanks JCG: you say "can", did you mean "back in the day"?

JCG
10-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks JCG: you say "can", did you mean "back in the day"?

I meant the tomato soup can with a door and a window, up in post #29 of this thread :)

jeric_synergy
10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
LOL, I meant the "can DL".