PDA

View Full Version : One for the Books

RayLarson
12-07-2003, 02:02 PM
OK, here's one I can't explain. Never had this happen with all the versions of T2. Currently running the newest patch of VT3. Just did two 1 minute videos with 3 layers and they play fine, that is....until I turn on my DV deck (Panasonic 2000) then the video and audio stutters. Unplug the firewire....all is ok.

Usually I leave the firewire attached all the time but can't anymore. I now leave it unplugged until I need to capture or go direct to tape from Premiere 6.0.

Any ideas.....

Going to try an uninstall/reinstall of Patch2 this weekend to see if that helps but it is an aggrevating situation.

System is a dual Zenon 1.8, 1 gig of ram IDE Raid and Supermicro Mobo. Always been a workhorse for long form projects. I'm baffled

SBowie
12-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Tried a different DV cable? I've seen problems diappear with new with cables a few times...

RayLarson
12-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the input, Steve. Swapped cable....still the same.

RayLarson
12-08-2003, 05:05 AM
further update:

After swapping cables, I uninstalled VT3 updates and reinstalled. No Chnage.

Could it be the firewire driver?? All I know is that the stuttering completly disappears when I un plug the firewire connection to my Panasonic DV-2000. This is a brand new wrinkle. The two video pieces affected are less than 2 minutes long. Previously, with VT2 I have done long form work up to 3 hours and 3 layers and never had this problem.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Ray, does it make any difference if the deck is turned on before the VT is fired up?

Also, try plugging another dv source in to see if there is any change. It might be the deck.....

RayLarson
12-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks Jim,

I will try those things tonight when I am back at the machine and let you know. I do beleive it made no difference if the deck was on or off but I will double check....it's not a big problem since I can just yank out the firewire cable to the deck but it is one of those little things that makes people go postal afetr a while:mad:

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Are you located near the big fire? Man, that looked like a monster ! I worked for WJAR years ago, so I know the area pretty well.

RayLarson
12-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Actually, just 3 miles away. It was a monster.....glad it didn't move closer. I am right near Slater Park and in addition to my own production co, I also run a studio for Cox Communications.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by RayLarson
I also run a studio for Cox Communications.

No kidding ? Which one? I worked over at the Cranston Studio in the early 80's producing one of the country's first local news programs. I can't remember most of the names, but I think the news "director" was a guy named Keith Brailsford. We were shooting on the old JVC KY-1900's and editing on Sony top loader 3/4".

Took a while to get up and running, but it was quite an accomplishment to put that show together each week. I still have some of those old tapes somewhere.

If I only had a VT then........;)

RayLarson
12-08-2003, 11:26 AM
I am running a brand new facility in Bristol, RI. Beautiful equipment but no T3...I asked for one but they went with a Pinnacle DV500 which is a toy. But it is still a nice facility. Huge studio, All new Ikegami cams on miller tripods, Mackie 24 channel audio, Echolab switcher, master to DVD, DVCPro, SVHS.

Then at night I run my production company doing weddings, industrial and medical videos.

Cox bought out most of the small cablke companies here in RI so the studio you are talking about is probably closed. There is one in Johnston but nothing now in Craston.

What a small world.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by RayLarson

What a small world.

Yeah, you're not kidding.....

The studio in/near Cranston was at the top of a hill (as I remember it) and they had a bunch of dishes up there, it being the head end - but it MIGHT have been in Johnston; aren't they close together near there? It's been so many years...... ;)

RayLarson
12-08-2003, 06:45 PM
OK, here's the deal. The Panasonic DV-2000 can do firewire and analog and the inputs are manually switchable. If the firewire cable is plugged in, deck is on and the firewire input is selected no stuttering of the T3 timeline...also tried one of my DV cameras same story...BUT...if the firewire is plugged in and the deck is switched to an analog input...T3 stutters like crazy. Never happened in T2 but obviously not the same. Right now I just have to unplug the firewire cable if I am inputting analog to my DV deck. Since I cannot print to tape from T3 (and I hope that is coming soon) I probably will only plug in the firewire cable if I am capturing from the DV-2000.

Wish there was a way around this situation..but evidently something about this deck and the T3 is in conflict. Perhaps someone on the mothership will take a crack at this one.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Maybe something to do with internal termination impedence on the firewire cable ?

Seems that it may be related to something like that if you switch the input over to analog and it does it.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Now that you've got it semi-nailed down and can repeat it, I'd email Andrew, if I were you......

across at newtek dot com

RayLarson
12-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Sent e-mail out to Dr Cross this am....let's see if we get an answer.