PDA

View Full Version : Caustics in 11.6.2

Richard Hebert
09-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Are there any known issues in LightWave's caustic feature in 11.6.2? I'm on a Mac and all of my usual settings seem to have no effect on my renders. Is there a tutorial that I may have missed on using this feature in this version?
Thanks for any help on this.

Richard

Farhad_azer
09-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Change your light to sth other than distance light (for example spotlight) and then try rendering again and u will see results.

Richard Hebert
09-27-2015, 11:12 PM
I'm using a point source light just to create caustics in water. An older scene works out maybe there is something wrong with this scene file. I'm stripping the scene down and testing a few things. I'll write back if the problem persists. Thanks for the tip though. Always welcomed and appreciated.

Richard Hebert
09-28-2015, 12:51 AM
It's working... just couldn't see it well against the textures.

Farhad_azer
09-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Congrats,

I am also in 11 series and I wanted to say that there is a lightwave caustic tutorial in utube. the weird thing is that the instructor never touches caustic settings and still get gr6 results. perhaps u can doscover sth and plz let me know about it so we can learn new stuffs.

Richard Hebert
09-30-2015, 02:14 AM
I had to adjust my settings really high to see the effect. I think my intensity was at 1200% and the accuracy was 15000. I don't remember having to go that high before but it could just be the way the scene is set up.

Richard Hebert
09-30-2015, 02:18 AM
Quick Test Render

djwaterman
09-30-2015, 03:59 AM
This seems like an expensive way to get this effect. Wouldn't it be less calculation to create an animated caustic pattern and project that onto the scene through a light? I'm making the assumption that you are shooting light through a water surface and that is creating the caustic pattern on the sea bed, that must be quite a heavy hit during render.

Richard Hebert
09-30-2015, 08:30 PM
It was indeed a tremendous render hit. I've done something like this before that didn't require that high of an accuracy setting and the render time was really manageable. I'll revisit that project and check out the differences. The radiosity setting was also a big factor in the long render time as well on this particular image.

djwaterman
09-30-2015, 09:45 PM
There is a caustic generator that will produce a tile-able sequence, there is a free version with limits available, I think I have used this before, or an older version, or a different generator. But I'm playing with it and it seems to have some nice control for generating a good pattern, and it looks like it would tile.

http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

There's this, don't know anything about it.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/06/allegorithmic-releases-free-animated-caustics-map/

Richard Hebert
10-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Those look great but neither one seem to have a Mac version yet. It looks like I should be able to produce a tileable animated map in After Effects and use that for projection and displacement. Just a guess right now while I'm waiting for a render to finish up.