PDA

View Full Version : Match Perspective camera zoom?

mspink
09-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Can anyone help me; I'm well pleased with not having to use Sketchup since LW2015's camera matching tools, and they seem quite solid too.
Is there any way to either-
1/ get the matched camera view in modeler? (wish list I'm guessing)

or failing that
2/ to do a 2D pan and zoom on the camera view in Layout, without using the camera settings, like 'the matte painters toolkit' does for Maya? (or is there a plugin for LW to do this?)
You'd still get RSI from Alt-Tabbing, but you'd be half way there...

Cheers!
Mark

ernpchan
09-26-2015, 11:51 PM
No to 1.

You could try copying your camera's translation information to a null, then zero out your camera and parent to that null. This way you can then move your camera in local space.

mspink
09-27-2015, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion ernpchan, but I'm sort of doing that already by using a perspective view on VPR, which I can then move and gives a good look at the projection mapped object.
What I'm after doing though is zooming the view from the projection camera without moving it, or changing it's field of view, so you can get in close to the mesh from exactly the correct perspective, to model the mesh to fit the projection properly.

stiff paper
09-27-2015, 07:45 AM
This might (or might not) help:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?94121-Matchmoving-in-Lightwave&highlight=matchmoving+in+lightwave

(I'd ignore the advice about using a quicktime. Quicktime! Ptui! If you want speed, use something like XNview to make a new image sequence that's very compressed jpegs.)

daforum
09-27-2015, 08:34 AM
There is this: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pviewmc/
Don't use the link in the above, use this link: http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.html
and scroll down. It's on the right hand side.

It creates a new camera from the perspective view.
Hope it helps :)

BeeVee
09-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Umm, you can create a new Camera View, or new camera with that view, directly in 2015. Go to the desired Perspective view, be in Camera mode, click on the dropdown menu after the display type and choose Match Viewport Perspective. You can use it to position lights too.

B
(If you are in Light mode you can create a light, as you might expect)

stiff paper
09-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Tsk! Honestly, did anybody actually read what the OP wrote? (ErnieP honorably excepted.)

My link does what he asks for in his #2 request. Quite frustrating that he hasn't been back...

mspink
09-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Sorry people, not being ungrateful, just been on night shifts over the weekend & still fairly buggered...

Cardboard: shall be having a try at the method in your link, looks interesting/difficult!
I am being lazy really, probably parenting a locked off FOV & rotation copy of the projection camera to itself then moving it locally in XYZ would do the trick of pan & scan for me, trying it now...

...It works, but the only problem is using the OGL wireframe in VPR: if you move the 'pan n scan' camera you lose the wireframe overlay for the mesh, and then it's a pain choosing it again as it's invariably locked so you don't move it while trying to model it to match the projection (tried parenting to a null to move it as well).
Cheaper than learning Maya / Matte painters toolkit though!

Cheers for the suggestions all!

stiff paper
09-29-2015, 05:27 AM
I wasn't attempting to scold you! I really meant nothing more or less than it really is frustrating when you think you might have something that will help but you missed the boat. But hey, the boat came back and maybe it did help.

Also, sympathy for the shift work. I don't think I could.

(I was slightly chiding some of the other people for offering advice to achieve the exact opposite of what had been asked.)

daforum
09-30-2015, 02:04 AM
Umm, you can create a new Camera View, or new camera with that view, directly in 2015. Go to the desired Perspective view, be in Camera mode, click on the dropdown menu after the display type and choose Match Viewport Perspective. You can use it to position lights too.

B

Thanks for the info Ben, didn't know about this.
No need to add this script anymore! :)

3dhotshot
07-29-2018, 08:46 AM

B

Really thanks alot for this nifty tip .... !!!

BeeVee
07-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Even better, in LightWave 2018, you don't need to have a camera/light selected in the appropriate mode now. You can use Match Perspective in any tool mode.

B
PS. Because navigating in Perspective mode is often easer than moving a camera around, you can simply chain Match Perspectives to move your camera through the course of the scene :)