PDA

View Full Version : I just spent $395...

shrox
09-26-2015, 10:56 PM
...and I am downloading now.

Waves of light
09-27-2015, 03:12 AM
And at some point next year you'll spend $295 and download again ;)

shrox
09-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Wait, did I just buy a subscription?

prometheus
09-27-2015, 11:35 AM

what was your previous version? I thought you had lw 9 versions without vpr etc, and thus not eligable for 295 usd offering?
I got the 295 usd offering, though I need to jump in on it the next few days.

Waves of light
09-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Vader voice on "I have you now" Vader voice off.

I don't see it as a subscription as Rob said they aren't tied to yearly releases... next year will feel like that, but it depends when they drop LW2017 (or whatever they decide to call it).

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 12:06 PM
If you skip one large coffee a week, you'll easily save the upgrade price in a year.

Everything is related to coffee here.

hrgiger
09-27-2015, 12:09 PM
you didnt buy a subscription because even if you dont decide to upgrade, your software keeps working.

Waves of light
09-27-2015, 12:10 PM
you didnt buy a subscription because even if you dont decide to upgrade, your software keeps working.

Do you know what Steve, that is a great frickin point tbh. We might have to upgrade each year, if we want to, but if we don't we can still use all previous versions we have paid for.

shrox
09-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Good. I usually don't need to upgrade every year.

what was your previous version? I thought you had lw 9 versions without vpr etc, and thus not eligable for 295 usd offering?
I got the 295 usd offering, though I need to jump in on it the next few days.

I have 9.6.1, and have been a user since the 90's. I'd like the $295 price then. I did it through my registration, it should have offered me the better price then shouldn't it?

hrgiger
09-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Well we wont have to or even get to upgrade each year because theyre not on an annual release schedule.

shrox
09-27-2015, 12:23 PM
I'll install today.

lightscape
09-27-2015, 12:25 PM
295 is only offered to charter and post charter members. Everyone else gets 395.

And yes hopefully this is not an annual release cycle. Just look at how badly it affects stability when they try to please stockholders pockets and users who are paying annually that want to get their moneys worth. Adobe, Modo comes to mind.

shrox
09-27-2015, 12:32 PM
295 is only offered to charter and post charter members. Everyone else gets 395.

And yes hopefully this is not an annual release cycle. Just look at how badly it affects stability when they try to please stockholders pockets and users who are paying annually that want to get their moneys worth. Adobe, Modo comes to mind.

Do you mean Core? I did have that and 10, but all through that "movie studio"...

prometheus
09-27-2015, 12:42 PM
I'll install today.

Donīt expect that hv bug to be fixed that we talked so much about with voxels distorting surface textures, that may be our fault since I never posted a bug report or something with content, and I actually think Lino personally said to me to post such sample..but I just neglected it unfortunatly..my bad.

Michael

Marander
09-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Yes provided they don't add some kind of online activation in the new releases, that's my biggest worry and would really put me off.

But I trust in them that they spent their development energy on important changes.

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Donīt expect that hv bug to be fixed that we talked so much about with voxels distorting surface textures, that may be our fault since I never posted a bug report or something with content, and I actually think Lino personally said to me to post such sample..but I just neglected it unfortunatly..my bad.
Michael
@[email protected] Seriously? What, you think they're telepathic? :P

prometheus
09-27-2015, 12:49 PM
@[email protected] Seriously? What, you think they're telepathic? :P

I have not the faintest clue on what you are talking about..I am not telepathic...so whatīs your point?

we have had a long description in some various threads, shrox and I, it was forwarded and described with images and itīs easy to recreate..I donīt expect the lw team to investigate it solely on that, they could if the want..but they appreciate bug reports with content.
Lino saw the thread and asked me to post a sample, I havenīt...thus it may have fallen behind the chairs, partly my bad maybe...but I donīt get what you are trying to say?
if you read my comments you obviously see that I am not blaming the lightwave team for not fixing it..right?

shrox
09-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Michael

Bug it up then! Do you still have the sample scene?

Dexter2999
09-27-2015, 12:53 PM
I want to hear Shrox's impressions on working with his updated version of LW.

shrox
09-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I want to hear Shrox's impressions on working with his updated version of LW.

I am really looking forward to the new "make pretty spaceship" button!

prometheus
09-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Bug it up then! Do you still have the sample scene?

probably somewhere but it may take me longer time to find it than actually just throwing a sample together from scratch, itīs that easy for me as it is for anyone, just have to create a groundplane with the turbulence texture and add particles to that groundplane and hypervoxels to them in surface mode..and the artifact will be there, I think it still was there in my demo version of 2015..might need to check again..or you could check it as well shrox.
So thereīs no excuse not mocking up a sample and send to them I guess..just lazyness.
The bug artifacts only affects certain procedural textures..turbulence is one of them, some works ok though.

shrox
09-27-2015, 01:17 PM
...The bug artifacts only affects certain procedural textures..turbulence is one of them, some works ok though.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I could try a different procedural.

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 01:23 PM
I am really looking forward to the new "make pretty spaceship" button!
It's great! Got me onto a new >$100M movie!

prometheus
09-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that. I could try a different procedural.

Maybe also bake the procedural.

shrox
09-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Maybe also bake the procedural.

Great, I can get my old rocky terrain trick back!

prometheus
09-27-2015, 02:49 PM
yepp..voxels are great for rocks with variations.

checked all this again, dented seem to work as surface texture, fbm noise too..but not fbm, turbulent noise seem to work as well without that stretchy artifact.

when adding particles to a ground for use as hv rocks, and appliying hv surface mode, it wonīt cause artifacts if itīs just plain hvs surface without hypertexture, but as soon as you apply hv procedurals(any of them) it will cause artifacts on surface textures like turbulence and fbm, probably some more.

noteable, fbm and turbulence has no noise type options, textures with that option seem to be okey.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 02:56 PM
havenīt had any decent dinner..thus I might not be thinking straight now, just realized a good task for hvīs, must be great for a pile of horse.....on the ground:)

shrox
09-27-2015, 03:19 PM
havenīt had any decent dinner..thus I might not be thinking straight now, just realized a good task for hvīs, must be great for a pile of horse.....on the ground:)

Well, start dumping.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Well, start dumping.

:D LOL

Ivé just had myself something to eat, but I am to tired to do some heavy processing, I skip that part and go to bed directly and see what happens...sometimes people in elderly care has it all taken care of with diapers...I have to go with luck.

really got to do something else and forget I started these latest comments, It all starts to look too immature now:D

Let me know if you test the latest 2015 and the artifacts are there on the turbulence texture.

shrox
09-27-2015, 05:10 PM
I am excited about instancing and bullet dynamics. And other new stuff I will discover.

hrgiger
09-27-2015, 05:17 PM
I am excited about instancing and bullet dynamics. And other new stuff I will discover.

And flocking!

shrox
09-27-2015, 05:46 PM
And flocking!

Frak yeah! Flocking!

shrox
09-27-2015, 05:50 PM
What are some real improvements I'll see with my new purchase? Is it faster, better, stronger and tastier?

hrgiger
09-27-2015, 07:14 PM
A few things that I've liked about 11 and 2015:

Flocking, instancing, Bullet, all that stuff...
Now when you make a morph in modeler, it highlights the viewports to let you know you're in morph mode
GoZ (which won't make a difference to you if you don't use Zbrush)
VPR improvements
wireframe rendering
spline control
Angle based flattening UV unwrap
a few nice modeling tools in 11.5 including place mesh, thicken, chamfer, and some transform tools with manipulators

Here are some release videos:

11.5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywqrUJDGAmo
11.6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFQ8yU-2N0
2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9oq1m33bzU

Greenlaw
09-27-2015, 10:26 PM
If the last version you used was 9.6.1, there's been a ton of new features and UI improvements. Here's some of what's been significant for me:

VPR is like FPrime but it shows a lot more stuff in LightWave--volumetric effects like Instances, Turbulence, Fibers. It can even render frames with alpha channel via the Undockable Preview window. The only downside is that VPR really is a previewer and not a 'final' renderer. That said, I've actually use VPR renders for compositing fx elements when I was in a major deadline crunch, and it came through for me smashingly. VPR is also CS aware, which is also something you'll want to get used to. One thing I really miss from FPrime is the Photoshop style of zooming and panning--not a showstopper but I really wish LW3DG could add it to VPR.

One nice, not so obvious feature: shift click on an surface while VPR is active calls up the Surface Editor with that surface automatically selected for you. (I wish this worked while in OGL mode but I guess you can't have everything...yet.) Also, check out the OGL Wireframe and OGL Overlay modes for VPR--these allow you see Layout UI features on top of the VPR render.

Regular LightWave rendering is faster now and much higher quality. You'll need to brush up on new render, AA and other quality settings though. I'm not sure the new lights like Dome and Spherical existed in 9.6, but they're pretty awesome because they give you soft shadows with ray tracing. Since the new lights were added, I really can't remember the last time I used shadow maps for anything.

Flocking is fantastic. I was asked to animate a fleet of alien ships in a film about a year and a half ago, and it was the perfect tool for it.

You're gonna love Spline Control too...it's practically made for animating spaceships.

Bullet is a huge improvement over the old FX system--much faster results and pretty reliable. Since its introduction, I've used it for city destruction scene, weather fx, hair animation, cloth fx, chains and cables, avalanches, rag dolls...and I still haven't even tried all the features yet. The most recent release (2015) introduced many useful constraints like bone dynamics and a versatile motor. Yup, that's right, now you can use Bullet to motorize your animations. :)

If you do a lot of baking, MDD Multi-Baker and Multi-Loader are incredible timesavers! These tools are compatible with Maya GeoCache too--I used the heck out of this interchange feature recently and it worked really well.

FBX is significantly improved since 9.6.1. It works well with many AutoDesk products, and it's great for getting stuff into Fusion for 3D compositing and fx.

Modeler has had some nice improvements too. My favorites are the Transform and Tweak tools--the first tool almost makes me forget we don't have a real construction plane yet. Basically, it's an all-in-one widget-style transformation tool that is also aware of which component is under the cursor (point, polygon or edge). Other nice improvements: you can double-click in the background to drop a selection (no more looking for a blank space in the tool bar), press / to restore a selection (it's a toggle actually,) and when you edit an Endomorph, the viewport becomes highlighted in blue. Pressing right-arrow selects a loop. I know these improvements haven't been enough for some users but for me, they've made using modeler faster and more pleasant to work with.

There's a ton of other stuff I haven't mentioned here but these have been some of the highlights for me in the last three or four years. You're mileage may differ of course but I think you're gonna like it.

G.

P.S., Other notable things you might not use but that have been very useful for me: FiberFX (miles above the 9.6 release), GoZ and FiberMesh support, Genoma (a quick rigging construction kit.) and of course Send to AE (now you can send a LightWave camera to After Effects and have perfectly tracked 3D particle effects,) and Send Selected Layers to LightWave (track your plate in in After Effects and send it to Lightwave with a single command.)

roboman
09-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Upgraded Saturday and played with it Sunday. Not sure how much of the new stuff I'm going to use, but it's there and I went through, played with, most of the listed new stuff, so a bit of a memory of it is in my head. I would have bought the upgrade a couple months ago at $395, if they had let me pay that sale price and keep the post charter membership. Oh well paid $295 and get a better deal on upgrades.

Sensei
09-28-2015, 01:51 AM
If you skip one large coffee a week, you'll easily save the upgrade price in a year.

Better save money on cigarettes: if you need to smoke of course (I don't), buy cigarette paper (which is everything what cigarette has including filter, except tobacco).
It costs here min 1.5 pln / 100 pieces ($0.4 per 100).
Like these
http://www.trafika.pl/pl/c/filtry/82
http://www.trafika.pl/pl/c/Gilzy-papierosowe/63
Then you need to buy tobacco alone. Also cheaper than sold in ready product.
85 pln / 1 kg
http://allegro.pl/akcja-tytoni-1kg-papierosowy-mocny-korsarz1-i5695044389.html

One smoking guy here told me he is making his own cigarettes at 10% of normal price.
1 kg is enough for making 1000 pieces, maybe 3 months of smoking.
85 pln = ~$23, and 10*0.4$ for paper. In total ~$27 for 1000 cigarettes self made. Giving average 10 pack for ~$0.27.
What is price of cigarette in your country.. ? Here they start at $3.5 per 10 in pack (regular price).

50one
09-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Better save money on cigarettes: if you need to smoke of course (I don't), buy cigarette paper (which is everything what cigarette has including filter, except tobacco).
It costs here 1.5 pln / 100 pieces ($0.4 per 100).
Like these
http://www.trafika.pl/pl/c/filtry/82
http://www.trafika.pl/pl/c/Gilzy-papierosowe/63
Then you need to buy tobacco alone. Also cheaper than sold in ready product.
85 pln / 1 kg
http://allegro.pl/akcja-tytoni-1kg-papierosowy-mocny-korsarz1-i5695044389.html

One smoking guy here told me he is making his own cigarettes at 10% of normal price. 1 kg is enough for whole month of smoking (85 pln = ~$23). And 3*0.4$ for paper. In total ~$23.9 for 300 cigarettes self made (10 per day* 30 days). Giving average 10 pack for ~$0.8.
What is price of cigarette in your country.. ? Here they start at $3.5 per 10 in pack (regular price).

Not a smoker myself, but there is a reason a cheap tobacco is smuggled to Western Europe from Russia/Poland/Ukraine etc. and that is the price;)

Anywhere else it cost 5x/6x more, posting links to foreign websites with tobacco or alcohol is pointless really, since you will have to pay duty tax when buying online(if even allowed to send it...), unless your "pal" will bring you few packs.
At the same time, tobacco/cigarettes in Morocco can cost lest than 1/3 of what they cost in Poland:eek:

Coffee is a different thing tho:hey:

hrgiger
09-28-2015, 02:07 AM
I think of the millions of dollars I save a year by not doing cocaine, meth, or buying that personal fighter jet I want.

JCG
09-28-2015, 02:40 AM

Coffee is dirt cheap here; it literally grows on trees :) but I originally bought LW by skipping lunch for 8 months, so I can relate to the basic technique.

50one
09-28-2015, 02:47 AM
I decided not to pay for sex instead, saved me only Ģ25 last year.

mav3rick
09-28-2015, 03:23 AM

:) hhahh:devil:

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 08:37 AM
No idea, it's a filthy disgusting habit.

I was quite pleased that, just before my first trip to Europe, they outlawed smoking in restaurants and trains. Thank gahd!

You'll never upgrade at that rate!

Waves of light
09-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Now go see what Rob has up his sleave for the next version: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148246-Examples-of-the-New-LightWave-Volumetric-and-PBR-Engine&p=1446482#post1446482

shrox
09-28-2015, 10:35 AM
I don't smoke cigarettes or drink coffee...

Greenlaw
09-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Oh, oh! Clip Map as a Surface Property!

That's one users have been asking for since the dawn of time, and we now have it in 2015!

This feature is not only a great convenience but, if you're on a team of artists, it also keeps the ones who keep loading objects directly into Layout (even though you keep telling them to use the LFS files,) from losing the Clip Maps.

Also note that you can now set Alpha Clipping under Transparency Sorting too.

G.

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 11:13 AM
I don't smoke cigarettes or drink coffee...
It's the principle: just insert your own depraved vice in there.

Come to think if, that's a new kink right there. Sadly, no saving$ result.

Greenlaw
09-28-2015, 12:57 PM
It's the principle: just insert your own depraved vice in there.

I could probably cut back on software upgrades. Oh, wait... :)

G.

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 01:30 PM
I could probably cut back on software upgrades. Oh, wait... :)
G.
Hah! Good one.

With you, it'd be fewer purchases of 3d printer resin.

wesleycorgi
09-28-2015, 01:47 PM
If the last version you used was 9.6.1, there's been a ton of new features and UI improvements. Here's some of what's been significant for me:

One of the things that I like about 11x and beyond is the drag and drop license. Working between home and work, I had many hand to forehead moments where I forgot the frickin' dongle. Then it would be an hour roundtrip drive or wait until the next morning.

Greenlaw
09-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Heh, heh...you got me. :o

prometheus
09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
shrox..check out texture falloff in modeler, you can use a procedural or texture directly to deform a divided cube or sphere, for a base rock shape..and then directly continue to model in modeler, procedurals works in normal direction.
the only thing close to that before was textured point map and weights and scaling, but not quite the same...or to use displacement only in layout.

Bullet dynamics are fun...and were already in 11 cycle, but more fun with motors and bones and ragdolls now I guess, though I havenīt had so much time testing that with the discovery edition.
will jump in on the upgrade tomorrow, and now Rob presents new volumetrics too..but for the next lw version though..but that is really exciting for me.

kyuzo
09-29-2015, 03:36 AM
Really helpful thread guys,
I'm still on 9.6, and can't decide whether to upgrade or not. I was tempted, but most of my work is in modeler or rendering - pretty much no animation.
There's been some good minor modeler improvements mentioned already, can anyone think of any others..?

art
09-29-2015, 06:29 AM
LW vs pit barrel cooker (.com)? Hmm, barbecuing will have to wait until the next year and I'm left with extra $4 :)

prometheus
09-29-2015, 01:54 PM
I just upgraded a few hours ago.

The deal was good enough..and want to stay in a cheaper price modeler for the future, as well as the Recent Posts about new pbr and volumetrics cemented it finally, yes modeler today migth be enough where 2015 doesnīt bring to much for you, but keep in mind that the next lw version could very well release a lot new stuff that has been boiling under the hood.
otherwise think about the upcoming pbr stuff that could be of importance for rendering.

Then again it could be that 3rdpowers tools are what you should invest in..if you havenīt already that is.

9.6 is a bit behind in modeling too, you now got tweak, heatshrink, thicken, line pen, new edit edges tools etc and more in 11.6 only, as well as stil import and fixing of geometry..apart from that in modeling in 11.6.3 they introduced textured fallof in modeler, same principles as deforming with displacements but directly in modeler.

You still are rendering, and VPR should be enough to go from 9.6 to 11...but now you go to 2015 and with that comes bullet and even more bullet dynamics etc, as a bonus, importance sampling to help with better GI renders etc.
you also got the wireframe render option in layout to render out subpatches directly, even though you can do that with workaround and plugins.

shrox
09-29-2015, 02:24 PM
So how much faster is this new renderer? A scene that took 11-12 minutes a frame is rendering at 2 minutes a frame, I am almost afraid something is wrong.

Megalodon2.0
09-29-2015, 02:28 PM
So how much faster is this new renderer? A scene that took 11-12 minutes a frame is rendering at 2 minutes a frame, I am almost afraid something is wrong.

Isn't the new renderer in the NEXT version of LW, not 2015?

MonroePoteet
09-29-2015, 02:30 PM
I upgraded a few minutes ago, completed downloads, etc. I really like LW, and have tried to be an advocate and supporter since 1996, albeit just as a hobbyist. Even though at this point I can't really afford the $400 (not too poor, just other expensive hobbies), the new architecture and forward-looking workflow sounds too good to pass up! I'll decide as my finances wax and wane and the features / enhancements emerge whether to keep up (at $300 a pop), or take every third upgrade and save $100 (any prior version for $800).

mTp

shrox
09-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Isn't the new renderer in the NEXT version of LW, not 2015?

OK, is this version I just bought that much faster then, or is something wrong? Looks like shadows, reflections, etc are there.

hrgiger
09-29-2015, 02:42 PM
OK, is this version I just bought that much faster then, or is something wrong? Looks like shadows, reflections, etc are there.

Are you using VPR or F9? Some things have changed probably since the last version you used, one of those being adaptive sampling.

shrox
09-29-2015, 02:49 PM
F10 for seq images render.

Greenlaw
09-29-2015, 03:07 PM
IMO, the current renderer is faster than it was in 9.6 but you need to check that your aa settings are appropriate, and you may also need to check the Shading Samples and Light Samples settings (Render Globals>Render tab). Depending on your surface and scene lighting, you many need to dial these up. If the values not adequate, you can get noisy renders--but set it too high, and they'll take forever to render. The default settings are good for fast for previews and tests but usually not ideal for final animation renders. (Again, this depends on your surface settings and light types.)

Rendering has gotten a little more complicated since 9.6 but it's well worth learning how to use the settings. In fact, it's gotten much easier to avoid GI in modern LightWave and still achieve a very nice, photorealistic look that renders quickly.

If you want to or need to use GI, be sure to check out the new Importance Sampling feature. I don't have any experience with it yet but it's supposed to speed up GI renders and improve the quality quite a bit.

G.

shrox
09-29-2015, 03:27 PM
IMO, the current renderer is faster than it was in 9.6 but you need to check that your aa settings are appropriate, and you may also need to check the Shading Samples and Light Samples settings (Render Globals>Render tab). Depending on your surface and scene lighting, you many need to dial these up. If the values not adequate, you can get noisy renders--but set it too high, and they'll take forever to render. The default settings are good for fast for previews and tests but usually not ideal for final animation renders. (Again, this depends on your surface settings and light types.)

Rendering has gotten a little more complicated since 9.6 but it's well worth learning how to use the settings. In fact, it's gotten much easier to avoid GI in modern LightWave and still achieve a very nice, photorealistic look that renders quickly.

If you want to or need to use GI, be sure to check out the new Importance Sampling feature. I don't have any experience with it yet but it's supposed to speed up GI renders and improve the quality quite a bit.

G.

Out of the box I am getting some pretty grainy renders. I just turned up the Shading Samples and Light Samples settings from 1 to 3.

prometheus
09-29-2015, 03:51 PM
by default the cam render seem to be minimum sample 1 and max 9, if you are rendering out hypervoxels only, I recommend turning maximum sample to 1 ..a huge difference in rendering speed without any significant loss in hv quality..so that is for voxel renderpass.
Also the same when working with texting hypervoxels in vpr..vpr can get slow if you have max samples of 9, so maybe keep it low until you decide for final rendering.

dp sk_sun probably needs lightsample around at least 4 to get rid of grain, you can of course choose to use lw sampling or sk_sun sampling quality.

ivanze
09-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Shrox, this video by Rebelhill is a must see, I learned a lot with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM

Greenlaw
09-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Most of the time I don't need to go high with Shading samples. 2 to 4 typically works for me.

If I'm using Dome, DP Infinite or another multi-sample light, I'll turn up the Light Samples a bit higher. 4 to 8 usually does it for me and maybe 10 or 12 for super gnarly renders (but that's rare.) I try to find a nice balance between performance and quality, and if I get a little noise, that's okay; I can hammer it out using Re:VisionFX De:Noise in Fusion or AfterEffects. (Neat Video also works well when the noise is not too bad or you have a ton of video footage to process. De:Noise can be a lot slower but the result is much cleaner. I recommend getting De:Noise if you're only dealing with cgi noise.)

FYI, the default for both settings used to be 8 but it was dropped to 1 a couple of versions ago. 8 is probably a 'safe' value but I think people were complaining that it was too high for most renders.

Of course your mileage may vary greatly depending on what you're rendering and how you light it. If you're uncertain about the optimal settings for you scene, run a series of Limited Region wedges to see what works best.

Oh, yeah, and have fun! :)

G.

shrox
09-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Excellent stuff to know, thanks!

djwaterman
09-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Actually, once you understand it, the new render settings are easier to work with I found. But any old scene need to be converted as they will look grainy. I think it's all explained in the manual.

shrox
09-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Actually, once you understand it, the new render settings are easier to work with I found. But any old scene need to be converted as they will look grainy. I think it's all explained in the manual.

Where is the manual, I just realized it wasn't my downloads.

jwiede
09-29-2015, 08:34 PM
:d lol

ivé just had myself something to eat, but i am to tired to do some heavy processing, i skip that part and go to bed directly and see what happens...sometimes people in elderly care has it all taken care of with diapers...i have to go with luck.

I think I feel sorry for luck.

jwiede
09-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Hah! Good one.

Yeah, can purchasing exotic filament count as a "vice"? ;D

"Yes sir, this PLA filament has been infused with a fine mix of bronze particles (to add density) and mouse urine (initially due to a minor manufacturing issue, but we discovered it adds a wonderful sheen once the printed object is sanded and polished!)"

allabulle
09-29-2015, 08:53 PM

You'll find the pdf in the 'docs' sub-folder, inside the main installation folder you chose.

Snosrap
09-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Really helpful thread guys,
I'm still on 9.6, and can't decide whether to upgrade or not. I was tempted, but most of my work is in modeler or rendering - pretty much no animation.
There's been some good minor modeler improvements mentioned already, can anyone think of any others..?

kyuzo, I don't mean any disrespect - but you'd be an idiot to not upgrade from 9.6 to 2015. :) Like you, I do very little animation, and while modeling has not seen huge advancements - rendering has! I'm not sure if you are hobbiest or pro, but $395 to get caught up to 2015 from 9.6 is a bargain. If you elect to stop there and not upgrade for another 5-6 years, 2015 will treat you very well for that time, even more so than 9.6 has.

spherical
09-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Most of the time I don't need to go high with Shading samples. 2 to 4 typically works for me.

If I'm using Dome, DP Infinite or another multi-sample light, I'll turn up the Light Samples a bit higher. 4 to 8 usually does it for me and maybe 10 or 12 for super gnarly renders (but that's rare.)

Just to clarify for those who are unfamiliar with lights that have separate sample settings from the Global Shading/Light samples and how they can work with the new samples system, you are meaning the sample settings on the individual light... not the Global Light samples, which can remain lower for all others... yes?

roboman
09-29-2015, 09:24 PM
In layout if you look under Help-Contents and click on Contents it will bring up the manual. It installs in the newtek lightwave docs directory.

- - - Updated - - -

In layout if you look under Help-Contents and click on Contents it will bring up the manual. It installs in the newtek lightwave docs directory.

lightscape
09-29-2015, 11:25 PM
kyuzo you should definitely upgrade if you're on 9.6.
The translate tool alone puts modeller on steroids. hehe.
Its fast to use but doesn't get in the way like other xyz gizmos. It works like a ucs or workplane but easier to use.

kyuzo
09-30-2015, 05:17 AM
Cheers guys,
Thanks for all the input. I've done it, upgraded.

To answer any questions or comments, I'm closer to being a hobbyist at the moment, and haven't had as much use for 3D at work as I used to. Plus, cash has been tight at home and work, which is why I've been stuck on 9.6.
There do seem to be plenty of improvements I'd appreciate, so I was really, really tempted. Then Rob posted those renders out of the new rendering engine that we can expect in the NEXT version, and I liked the look of what we can expect in the future. As someone said, even if I'm stuck on LW 2015 for a few years, I'm still in a better position than I was.

"kyuzo, I don't mean any disrespect - but you'd be an idiot... "
- Ha ha... Guess I'm NOT an idiot then! :D

cheers

ivanze
09-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Just press F1 in Lightwave and it opens the manual. It must have been installed with the software.

Snosrap
09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
I just upgraded my personal license to 2015! I've been using 2015 since it's release at work so I thought now would be a good time to upgrade my personal license. We will definitely upgrade to 2016 at work on day one, but I think I'm going to be lagging behind on my personal license for some time. I need to start chucking away $5-$6 a week or so for 2016. :)

prometheus
10-01-2015, 08:45 AM
kyuzo, I don't mean any disrespect - but you'd be an idiot to not upgrade from 9.6 to 2015. :) Like you, I do very little animation, and while modeling has not seen huge advancements - rendering has! I'm not sure if you are hobbiest or pro, but $395 to get caught up to 2015 from 9.6 is a bargain. If you elect to stop there and not upgrade for another 5-6 years, 2015 will treat you very well for that time, even more so than 9.6 has.

the step release from 9.6 to 11.6 i where the most goodies are at and where the motivation might be in..of course different for all I guess, the step from 11.6 to 2015 not so much for me though, but itīs still motivated solely on the previous step releases in terms of going from 9.6 to 11.6

shrox
10-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I am enjoying my purchase.

Snosrap
10-05-2015, 09:55 PM

I haven't had time to mess with it much as I've been busy. But I'm planning on spending a good long year with it and upgrading to 2016 just before 2017 comes out. :)

prometheus
10-06-2015, 07:15 AM
I haven't had time to mess with it much as I've been busy. But I'm planning on spending a good long year with it and upgrading to 2016 just before 2017 comes out. :)

Same here..Ivé been busy with other stuff in life that complicates it...I installed the 2015 64 bit on my desktop..but need all versions and also in the portable computer...reckon I will fix all installations today maybe and also go through all plugins and set that up etc.

I may have a potentional upcoming task these two weeks for a job to do for a productdesigner..but it is all very uncertain and if it pays off properly...I donīt think I would need anything in the 2015 to acomplish it though, but I might as well work with it after installation.

I have a lot of personal project stuff I would like to test with reference to bonedynamics later on, and I am also now set up to get a better deal when the next lw versions shows up with new volumetrics et.

Michael

- - - Updated - - -

I am curious...can you share what you find most enjoyable with 2015? as I recall you did the jump from 9.6? or 10?

shrox
10-17-2015, 12:13 AM
I upgraded from 9.6.1. So far it's faster, had a few surprises with new settings for getting a smooth render. Just started messing with bullet to make a collapsing stone floor.

Greenlaw
10-17-2015, 01:15 AM
Sounds like you're having fun!

Yes, LightWave has come a long way since 9.6. After I got used to using 2015, I can't stand going back to even 11.6.3. :)

G.

meshpig
10-17-2015, 01:23 AM
Er, when is 2016 again :)

shrox
10-17-2015, 01:52 AM

There's just no way to tell, kind of like Christmas or a birthday, who knows when it will happen.

prometheus
10-17-2015, 08:09 AM
I upgraded from 9.6.1. So far it's faster, had a few surprises with new settings for getting a smooth render. Just started messing with bullet to make a collapsing stone floor.

Try adjust a ragdoll and lef it fall through a roof, thatīs fun in the digital world, just remember to turn of dynamics when altering the ragdoll, and once you have the ragdoll in the position you like, make sure you click reset dynamics or else it will jump back to previous state, ideally you should plan the impact point and preferably fracture those most to tiny pieces, set the mode to sleep activity so it breaks only when hit by the ragdoll.

Michael

cresshead
10-17-2015, 08:19 AM

January 1st

RudySchneider
10-17-2015, 05:21 PM
January 1st

Yeah, I know! But of what year! Criminy!

meshpig
10-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Criminy indeed. Haven't been following the new pricing arrangements as in getting mixed messages about when the $295 upgrade offer ends.

Snosrap
10-18-2015, 01:22 PM
It's been extended to Oct 31st. It's only $295 if you have been a charter member(established during the Core thing), otherwise it's $395.

jwiede
10-18-2015, 07:35 PM
It's been extended to Oct 31st. It's only $295 if you have been a charter member(established during the Core thing), otherwise it's $395.

Was the $295 offer also extended? I thought the latest offer extension specifically referred to just the $395 offer.

Snosrap
10-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Was the $295 offer also extended? I thought the latest offer extension specifically referred to just the $395 offer.

I assume the $295 offer is extended as well to those who qualify. I jumped in on their first offer before all the extensions and when I went in to upgrade they had my price set @ $295. Log-in to your account and you should see if you qualify. It doesn't show me anything now because I've already upgraded.

shrox
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
I like instancing.

spherical
10-22-2015, 07:54 PM
I have clean socks on.

Want to freak someone out? Walk into an elevator and say that after the door closes.