PDA

View Full Version : TO ROB POWERS - Japanese Plugins, Docs, Videos

Julez4001
09-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Rob,
In the past few years, you have showcase artwork and productions from japan, even with you visiting Japan in their studios.
Dstorm has a wealth of products only that they have produced in japanese language only.
I think you would agree there is a market of those product in the English speaking context.

Is there any type of drive to get those products over to US, UK, etc.

BTW
Your - Get to Know "Tokyo Ghoul"
Oscar Nominaee Shuhei Morita delivers popular anime TV series with LightWave 3D -

Doesn't show any examples of Lightwave being used in production.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/tokyo-ghoul/

robpowers3d
09-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Rob,
In the past few years, you have showcase artwork and productions from japan, even with you visiting Japan in their studios.
Dstorm has a wealth of products only that they have produced in japanese language only.
I think you would agree there is a market of those product in the English speaking context.

Is there any type of drive to get those products over to US, UK, etc.

BTW
Your - Get to Know "Tokyo Ghoul"
Oscar Nominaee Shuhei Morita delivers popular anime TV series with LightWave 3D -

Doesn't show any examples of Lightwave being used in production.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/tokyo-ghoul/

Julez,
I agree with you 1000% on this and I have been working with a Japanese speaking consultant to do much of what you have suggested. I've also been discussing this with our Japanese distributor and I think we can get more of a back and forth flow going there. One point I'll add to your comments is that many of the Japanese top LightWave artists have no idea about some basic plugins outside of Japan as well. This would benefit both Japanese and non-Japanese artists for sure. Thanks for your comments.

Also, we will look into the 'Tokyo Ghoul" story with our Japanese distributor and try to correct that. Domo!

ernpchan
09-26-2015, 08:41 PM
Getting more information from Japanese productions would be great! I'm sure there's a wealth of content and technique from over there.

I'm not surprised if that side of the world doesn't know about plugins that we take for granted and vice versa. I recently had to work with AfterEffects projects from a studio over there and they're using plugins I had never heard of that are specifically designed for anime production. It was certainly an eye opener to learn that such plugins even existed.

realgray
09-26-2015, 10:41 PM
This is great to hear. I'm really impressed by LW's use in the anime world. Can't wait to see more!

CaptainMarlowe
09-26-2015, 11:55 PM
So do I.

OFF
09-27-2015, 01:59 AM
Message on video:
"Uploader banned watching it in your country".
heh :)

Luc_Feri
09-27-2015, 07:31 AM
I couldn't watch the Tokyo Ghoul trailer video from UK either when it was showcased on the LW frontpage some time ago, if I remember rightly.

Julez4001
09-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Rob,
Glad to hear that. I am consulting to bring an "anime style" production to life. SoftImage XSI is currently the chosen platform but I am trying to make a case for them to use Lightwave.
This would include training as well as tools to make everything easier and economical.

I also think that LWgroup actually do a series of tutorials specific to anime production would be great.

Ernpchan, are you at liberty to mention what those plugins are for?

ernpchan
09-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Ernpchan, are you at liberty to mention what those plugins are for?

For some reason the Japanese site lists more packages to purchase than the English version.
http://www.psoft.co.jp/jp/

I can't say for which Production they're being used on. To my knowledge, that show hasn't been publicly announced yet.

Julez4001
09-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Right totally understand, were there any lightwave plugins?

ernpchan
09-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Right totally understand, were there any lightwave plugins?

No, LightWave is not used on the show.

If you're looking for LW plugins that help with cel shade look at the d-creation plugins.

http://d-creation.sblo.jp/s/

paulhart
09-27-2015, 06:28 PM
I am all in on this agenda, asked for it years ago in a posting and email to Rob Powers. D-creation has not updated it's Unreal since mid-2014 and I know that more user friendly (English?) explanation, plus a more artist friendly implementation would be wonderful. I have also written to P-Soft about Pencil, which is only available for 3DSMax. Why isn't there excellent, similar, choices for Lightwave?? Form and alliance and make it part of the product. Blender has a development group (BNR) who is pushing forward with BEER, GLSL shaders, immediate, on screen, multiple rendering compositing built in. Blender 2.76 (currently in RC2, soon to be released in full) has optimized Freestyle and added some new bells and whistles. Lightwave should absolutely dominate this domain, collaborate with the Japanese developers and zoom to the head of the class!!!

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Obviously some bi-lingual go-getter in Japan needs to approach DStorm and make a proposition.

Julez4001
03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi Rob
Just checking in to see if they are any progress made in the last 7 months on this front.
I really would like to get some of the Japanese plugins for character work and their training videos.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2016, 02:48 PM
::waving hand wildly:: Concur. Also, this would just be SMART BUSINESS. Those guys have some damnnear MAGICAL tools over there.

My hope is: stuff LWG decided not to address, they went to Japan and gave all the devs over there advance copies of LW2016 and a fully translated SDK, and when they launch they'll all market together.

EDIT: as I apparently wished back in September. :foreheads

Kevbarnes
03-10-2016, 04:01 PM
I really would like to get some of the Japanese plugins for character work and their training videos.

Take a look at these I've been using These plug-ins from Sunrise studios at dstorm for some time now

su: Pose_Clip
su: Char_Select_Manager

Here is the link to the website
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/sunrise/

Pose_Clip
is very useful it can store Controller and Bone and Morphs as a composite pose.
Also has percentage(+-) scale adjuster to use part of a pose.
Also displays a bank of poses to create a new pose mix.

Julez4001
03-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Kev
Can you post best technique tutorial from your experience with the plugins?
Text\images or a video?

paulhart
03-12-2016, 12:19 AM
I too am curious if this ever found any "traction" inside of the Newtek universe. I contributed to this thread, seems like years ago, completely agree that some of the Lightwave work coming out of Japan and Asia is amazing, and I am confounded that this hasn't been brought into visible inclusion. Some of the NPR aspects particularly. The absence of any response to this can be taken in a variety of ways. I am hoping for the best as Rob Powers spoke of a good visit to Japan, back 'then.' Even if it is 'just' audio tracks and translation of plugins, some collaboration with DStorm should not be that hard to orchestrate???

Julez4001
03-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Its probably not a priority as trying to get Lightwave NEXT out but really, to spend an entire trip to go to Japan and not spread the wealth seems..... incomplete (trying for a civil word, here). Its all good that Japan is a big market but to continue to separate the content and knowledge between the west would seem like that would an initiative with Newtek.

I would support a kickstarter if Rob created with the sole goal of having videos translated and plugins updated to 2015/NEXT .
The good part of that is that Rob would already know that the effort would be financed and show the rate of interest.
If low interest then the only pain would be of getting a kickstarter organized.

Kevbarnes
03-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Kev Can you post best technique tutorial from your experience with the plugins? Text\images or a video?

Hi Julez4001 - I've never seen a video of these plug-ins myself.

the ones I use most often are:-
su: Char_Select_Manager
su: Pose_Clip
su: Item_Visible
su: Name_Replace

I think I remember another thread some ware that I might of posted some info before.

Select manager
They work well with RHiggit because of the consistent naming of controllers (Haven't tried Genoma). Once a menu is constructed
you can use for the next character or multi characters by editing the xml document.

I'll try an put something together - It might take a while - there would be a lot to cover - I'll try and break it down.

Regards

Kev

jwiede
03-12-2016, 08:49 PM
For some reason the Japanese site lists more packages to purchase than the English version.
http://www.psoft.co.jp/jp/

Actually, PSOFT has pre-announced their work on a Modo CA framework plugin as well. They are also apparently the folks behind IOS ZenBrush 2, an interesting IOS drawing app. They do seem interested in exploring development for new OS and plugin platforms, which is a promising sign.

LW customers would definitely benefit from access to their Pencil and Liquid plugins (both NPR render-oriented) for LW, that seems like a worthwhile place to begin discussions with PSOFT. unReal appears a bit neglected and falling behind technically, so pursuing/supporting additional NPR-oriented options would definitely help retain LW's foothold in the Japanese anime market.

LW3DG appears willing to focus a lot of effort improving PBR rendering, but doesn't appear to be putting effort into providing better native NPR rendering capabilities in LW. Why not? If this foothold in the Japanese anime market is important, and the new PBR render engine will break most existing surfacing shaders and nodes (as we've been told), then what is LW3DG doing to retain existing NPR rendering functionality? Is anything developed or at least planned to provide better native NPR functionality alongside the new PBR render engine?

Having strong native NPR rendering capabilities is valuable to many LW markets, not just the Japanese, so hopefully solutions won't be confined to the Japanese LW market. Providing a basic yet extensible NPR capability native in LW would be a great starting point.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that the development of the PBR render engine necessarily means the old render engine is no longer available?

paulhart
03-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Actually, PSOFT has pre-announced their work on a Modo CA framework plugin as well. ...
LW customers would definitely benefit from access to their Pencil and Liquid plugins (both NPR render-oriented) for LW, that seems like a worthwhile place to begin discussions with PSOFT. unReal appears a bit neglected and falling behind technically, so pursuing/supporting additional NPR-oriented options would definitely help retain LW's foothold in the Japanese anime market. (In addition to illustration options in the children's and graphic novel markets!!, arch viz, product promotion, Miyazaki like movies, etc....)

LW3DG appears willing to focus a lot of effort improving PBR rendering, but doesn't appear to be putting effort into providing better native NPR rendering capabilities in LW. Why not? If this foothold in the Japanese anime market is important, and the new PBR render engine will break most existing surfacing shaders and nodes (as we've been told), then what is LW3DG doing to retain existing NPR rendering functionality? Is anything developed or at least planned to provide better native NPR functionality alongside the new PBR render engine?

Having strong native NPR rendering capabilities is valuable to many LW markets, not just the Japanese, so hopefully solutions won't be confined to the Japanese LW market. Providing a basic yet extensible NPR capability native in LW would be a great starting point.

I personally contacted PSoft more than a year ago, as I like their Pencil like renders for Max, but they said, at that time, that they had no plans of any other ports of their software other than Max. As an individual I don't have the pull that a company outreach could have. If it gets to Modo, I personally will certainly use it and will be disapointed that Lightwave doesn't have the options. It would be a terrible unnecessary loss of market potential. Please Newtek, make the outreach connection, this is too good of an area to neglect!!!!

Julez4001
08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Well it look like all the recent replies to this were lost in the recovery.

Prince Charming
08-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that the development of the PBR render engine necessarily means the old render engine is no longer available?

One of the biggest issues they are going to face is releasing a product that is far less feature rich than the current version. I would imagine that is part of the reason for the extra long delay.