PDA

View Full Version : Where to find underwater 3d obj

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 02:49 PM
I am exhausted as I am modeling and animating for two consecutive days.

Plz help me find some stuffs that exist in aquarium or undersea.

shrox
09-25-2015, 03:08 PM
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=aquarium&rsi=sbis&backendClass=entity

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=fish&rsi=sbis&backendClass=entity

wesleycorgi
09-25-2015, 04:01 PM
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=aquarium

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/nature/ocean?synonym=sea

prometheus
09-25-2015, 06:25 PM
if you can afford it...
http://xfrog.com/product/X-21.html

I once new a site that had some nice flowers and I think seaweed stuff..but canīt recall it now.

and if you still canīt find it..you have to have patience and model it.

you could use fiberfx both in modeler or use fiberfx in layout and then polygonize it for further modeling tweakings, to create underwater looking shrubbery.
you can use any edge in modeled geometry to create corals with copy and paste edges to a dedicated layer ..which will turn those edges to polygon chains, then convert metaedges, you can twist edges to coral looking stuff...just a tip.
dp verdure tree generator might help too.

prometheus
09-25-2015, 06:30 PM
this one has a lot of free plants..may be some water shrubs in there..but not sure..check all pages.
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/plant-tree?page=9

prometheus
09-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Ah ...think I found it..free models I think...
http://www.3dxo.com/models/plants/aquatic_plants

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Thank you everybody,

can modeler open sketchup files dear Shrox? it does not for me.

You are right Michael, I think I shoud model this by dp stuffs. I could not totally understand your procedure. I have never touched metaballs or metaedges. do you have any detailed discussion concerining these please?

prometheus
09-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Thank you everybody,

can modeler open sketchup files dear Shrox? it does not for me.

You are right Michael, I think I shoud model this by dp stuffs. I could not totally understand your procedure. I have never touched metaballs or metaedges. do you have any detailed discussion concerining these please?

you can save out to collada format..which lightwave will open..might be flakey, need to test..however I use the lightwave exporter, it is posted somewhere here..I have a thread on it..itīs free, though it will not work with the latest sketchup versions...sketchup 8 which I still use, that works...but I need to locate the exporting plugin.

about metaedges..tricky to use for someone who havenīt worked with it..the resulting mesh is extremly dense and needs polyreduction and it will not be uniformly created in terms of polyflow, so for figures it might not be good to use, but for rock parts, stalagmites, some branches, coralls ..if you understand it you can create stuff very quickly, and you can keep the polylines from it is created from to be converted to skelegons and then convert to bones, so it is in fact rigged based on that if you want to deform a squid like figure or corall.

I have some threads in the forums covering some stuff, but my vid samples are without narration and might not get you there.
the nice thing is that you can deform a base polyline structure and the mesh follows so to speak without erragenous deforming on the mesh and you get joint fusion where edges meet.
downside is that you often need to set a very high metaball resolution in the general options tab..and that could be very slow, after you are satisfied with the tweaking, you need to freeze it..and then clean up with reduce polgygons and merge trigons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFA65euBtEY

another one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4wM-UFaQA

Since lightwave not long ago introduced copy and paste of edges to other layers, those will function directly to convert to metaedges, thus the option to copy selectable edge patterns that make up a skeleton figure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVvHeAu90TU
I do wish the lightwave team could do some more work on this, allowing for a different meshing route than metaball/edges ...I think I saw something like that with david ikeas new modeling app, in principle it is a bit like a primitive zsphere skelegon structure in zbrush, in some cases polylines are better...and in some cases zbrush style of working is better.

prometheus
09-26-2015, 09:12 PM
I must say..metaedges is a suggestion to experiment, I canīt say it is ideal..definitly not, and for it to work for you and not against you, you first need to learn to use them..and they are not that easy to start with..but if you get the hang of it, it might help for some stuff.

prometheus
09-26-2015, 09:17 PM
I must say..metaedges is a suggestion to experiment, I canīt say it is ideal..definitly not, and for it to work for you and not against you, you first need to learn to use them..and they are not that easy to start with..but if you get the hang of it, it might help for some stuff.

The hard part is understanding the metaresolution, toggle on off, and how to select the metaedges and then turn on edit metaedges, set proper scaling etc..

Farhad_azer
09-27-2015, 12:28 AM
I did not even know that these things exist in LW, big thanks Michael, I am going to experiment just now.

I have some general understanding of metaballs and did Wikipedia search but would like to know your definition of these areas please because you seem to have deeper insights to subject.

By saying that you wish LW should improve these areas do you mean it is not at good level now? maybe I can learn a lot by discussing this. If you have time of course.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 11:11 AM
I did not even know that these things exist in LW, big thanks Michael, I am going to experiment just now.

I have some general understanding of metaballs and did Wikipedia search but would like to know your definition of these areas please because you seem to have deeper insights to subject.

By saying that you wish LW should improve these areas do you mean it is not at good level now? maybe I can learn a lot by discussing this. If you have time of course.

itīs a bit awkward to work with converting edges to metaedges....simply how you work with them, metaball resolution should be in the tool itself numerical tabs not in general preferences, that way you can instantly change resolution, then they are a bit slow when updating when you have high resolution of metaballs, thatīs the nature of it..and unfortunatly you often need higher res for decen results, especially if you have many segments of polylines.
itīs also tricky as I mentioned ..if you are not aware in which mode you are working on it, you need to have the polygons selected and have polygon info tab open and select metaballs in that info tab in order to be able to access the toggle on of metamesh options and also the edit options.

metaballs in modeler is similar in blending in a similar fashion like hypervoxels in layout, but you can freeze the meshing which isnīt possible with hypervoxels..but in modeler you are limited to resolution and as mentioned..you need to freeze it in the end (ctrl-D)
metaballs generally adapts around points..so you can spray points and make them metaballs, move the points closer and the metaballs will start to blend together where the points are near...there is also metaedges..principle the same almost, they are in fact called metaballs in the polygon info tab, so no difference there, but convert to metaedges takes in account a polychain, or copied edges, and fills that edge with a certain amount of metaballs along that edge, and how many is specified by your resolution that you set in the general options tab, if you do not have enough resolution..there will be gaps in the result.

in this sample you can see that the resolution of 40 is to low..and there are gaps, so one would probably need 70 or higher to adjust the metaball filling segments, and thus it will become slower to work with..that is why the lw group should work on more efficient ways or a new tool to perform such meshing tasks, it they succed they could have a strong modeling tool, you donīt have to create polygons and bevel extrude..and that sort of modeling is hard to retweak and re-pose, using the simplest wireframe skelegon structures..edges,polylines, you can quite easy draw, copy and paste, or select patterns from a grid and you are finished with the base structure, and you can edit pose as you like without worrying of wrong deformation on the mesh..itīs similar to zbrush as I mentioned..if they can improve it, david ikeda(previous lightwave developer) seem to have implemented something similar in his new modeling tools.

You can even load a genoma preset, convert it to metaedges, and you have a spider mesh finnished, with the rig almost perfectly posed..downside is that the mesh isnīt the most appropiate to use and animate though, all that is very experimental really.

Back to the image...a simple flat disc beveled a few times, in edge mode select all edges and copy to another layer, that will make them useful for metaedges, so the base structure is the black wireframe you see, then you can twist those edges..and the metaedges mesh follows..but there are gaps as you see due to the lower resolution.

Also note...the polyline tool, helps you draw edges and itīs easy to start a drawing and snap to previous vertex when you draw an edge skeleton, works in symmetry mode too, so a lizard base mesh is easy, but the resulting mesh when freezed needs to be worked on..with other forms like corals that might not bee necessary though.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129973&d=1443373769

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Farhad, not to minimize Prom's expertise w/meta- stuff, but it's pretty much a sideline from mainstream modeling. Prom is rather unique in pursuing this.

Just saying that there's other avenues in which you might want to invest your learning time. EG, spline modeling is a powerful yet neglected (IMO) technique.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Farhad, not to minimize Prom's expertise w/meta- stuff, but it's pretty much a sideline from mainstream modeling. Prom is rather unique in pursuing this.

Just saying that there's other avenues in which you might want to invest your learning time. EG, spline modeling is a powerful yet neglected (IMO) technique.

yes..you are sort of right..mostly.
what I am presenting is a glimpse of what I believe is future ways of how it probably will be possible to model, but we are not quite there yet as I described, I might be unique pursuing it, then again..many folks simple do not know how to use it..and when they tried they fail to get it working properly..and it isnīt the lightwaves developers fault that the users donīt know how to use it..well maybe it is to some degree, it works as it should and based on how it works, though they may need to document it better and rewrite the tool for it to be of better use.

you are mentioning splines, but I say to you that the principles of doing it the way with metaedges are way faster than spline methods available as you point out..thatīs my opionion, try to model the shape I presented above with with splines, and also keep it re-tweakable without distoring the accompanying mesh.
Not long ago we couldnīt copy and paste edges, we didnīt have the polyline tool..those are important factors that I donīt think people recognized in conjunction with metaedges...and thus not tested.

Thatīs my advice from grampa to the brat :)

I have to say that one should look in to metamesh plugin for stuff like this though, that might be the very best right now to work with when mixing different shapes in a fast way.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 11:31 AM
a more complex and a bit to advanced method of creating a shape with metaedges from particle paths, overcourse so to speak..just an experimental option if one could find a good use for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIcOccqgo9o

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Prom, you're to Meta-xxx as Splinegod was to IKB: a lone voice in the wilderness. It's a niche, but it's interesting. Keep up the good work.

prometheus
09-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Prom, you're to Meta-xxx as Splinegod was to IKB: a lone voice in the wilderness. It's a niche, but it's interesting. Keep up the good work.

Thanks..I could probably showcase it more..and find more applications for it..but as mentioned earlier, itīs far from proper modeling workflow, some stuff it might be very great to use it for, stalagmites, special types of branching that dp verdure might have trouble with, and since you can heatshrink polylines to form against background geometry, or copy edges in a flow along a terrain or a rock, you could extract root branches without the need to adjust and tweak other geometry to match up against, the matching projecting curve is already there and just needs meshing with metaedges.

Farhad_azer
09-28-2015, 07:54 AM
this is a great area to explore IMO too and surely there will be applications to it. I did some experimenting with it and found the resolution problem that prometheues mentioned. maybe I can work with it to create some coral stuffs.

Why did you say spline modeling is ignored jeric? I have used it and seems to be enough good.

I would be more than happy to cooperate with you Michael on finding new ways and works for this topic. if you had time plz let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that I don't have sketchup. so there will be no way to use those models mentioned by shrox?

prometheus
09-28-2015, 05:39 PM
this is a great area to explore IMO too and surely there will be applications to it. I did some experimenting with it and found the resolution problem that prometheues mentioned. maybe I can work with it to create some coral stuffs.

Why did you say spline modeling is ignored jeric? I have used it and seems to be enough good.

I would be more than happy to cooperate with you Michael on finding new ways and works for this topic. if you had time plz let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that I don't have sketchup. so there will be no way to use those models mentioned by shrox?

I think jeric said spline modeling often is neglected..and that means people do not use it as often as they maybe should do..he did Not say it wasnīt good enough, so you must have misunderstood his comment about that.
I might be busy not doing so much with lightwave the closest time..but depends on if I feel for it etc.

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Neglected is not "weak". However the skillset is rare in the LW userbase, and LW native tools for splines are not great.

For GREAT, IMPRESSIVE splines one needs only link over to TrueArt and look at Sensei's EasySpline software (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline), which I had not realized is so attractively priced! :thumbsup:

A while back (11.x?) splines seem to have got a stealth make over and went from being extremely difficult and flakey to downright bullet-proof. It used to be that "patching the cage" was extremely touchy, but last time I attempted, I couldn't FORCE it to fail. I'm pretty sure I didn't get more skilled, so I believe the devs did some under the hood work, which, if they did, should have been trumpeted from rooftops.

prometheus
09-29-2015, 09:15 PM
A tip regarding using the line pen tool to create structures.
since the metaedges default radius size is one meter (not changable unfortunatly)
draw your structure and set the absolut size of it to 10m, that gives a ratio of 1/10 or if the object would have been 1 meter, the radius of the metaedges would be equal to 10 cm, that is often a good balance to get proper "limb" thickness on a structure. this way you get a decent feedback faster, than modeling a structure with a couple of centimeters, convert to metaedges and you would only see a huge lump and have to edit the radius first to get a decent feedback.

for drawing the initial shape..I would often hold down ctrl and just draw a line straight down, F2 to center it, turn on symmetry and start with the line pen to draw and snap it to vertex on the top or bottom on the first line created and draw out some branches.

when I get an interesting branch structure, I just convert to metaedges, you could also convert to skelegons and put in to genoma presets.
And another note for metaedges, keep the general options tab open, if the resolution is low, you should toggle the metaedges off, then raise the resolution then toggle the metaedges on again, since I play with it a bit..I have made a special tab for those commands and you could map toggle on of metaedgest to a shortcut..all that makes it easier to work with.

So some small improvements could be to allow for direct feedback and change of metaball resolution, that is not doable unless toggle metaedges on or off.
and another one could be to have other colors in the control handles of changing individual scaling of each point joint, they can be confusing to pick the ones that moves the points and those which scales the points/metaball.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130035&d=1443582907