PDA

View Full Version : UV Wackyness

SteveH
09-25-2015, 01:28 PM
OH man....UV'ing a building. A VERY simple box - where they took photos of the faces of the building - and I took those images and made a real rough png that showed all4 building faces. There are only 4 points on the building face of side one - but you can see that it's puckered in the middle. The side to the right looked exactly the same way so I sliced it in half and adjusted the points trying to 'fix' it - but it doubled my problems in area 2 and 3.

Geez......this should be a no brainer - a simple thing. But nooooooooooooooooooo.
I have no idea what could be causing this. I UV mapped it using atlas if that matters.

It has to be something simple - but no clue. Please if someone can take a look and let me know - it would be so so appreciated. I have to do this on like 25 buildings or so.

Steve

probiner
09-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Give it a read: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?116709-Mechanical-Normal-Mapping-ZBrush

Basically to avoid that on low poly meshes, make sure the UVs match the proportion of the polys in 3D.

Cheers

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 02:00 PM
What would happen if you pre-distorted those images in PShop or similar so they were rectangular to begin with?

SteveH
09-25-2015, 03:06 PM
jeric_synergy

What would happen if you pre-distorted those images in PShop or similar so they were rectangular to begin with?

This indeed worked well. Using Photoshop's new tool (well new for me) perspective warp - it was easy to warp each face to be more um...perpendicular to the page.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Steve

DrStrik9
09-25-2015, 03:37 PM
You can also use the pretty-awesome camera raw filter in Photoshop, for straightening and adjusting photos: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/straighten-photo-camera-raw.html

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 03:37 PM
I thought it might, despite my near total ignorance of UVing. Just a simpler problem for LW. PShop has so many powerful tools, and you already paid for them, you might as well leverage them to the max.

(And I'd have to look at the Help files too, for the warp and perspective tools. It's like a 3 times a year deal, but oh-so-nice when you need 'em.)

BTW, if you have any influence on the clients at all, get them to take better pictures: they're just making life tough for you with those angles.

spherical
09-25-2015, 04:02 PM
This might shed some light and do away with the false pre-distortion step.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144305-Nonawesome-UV-Map-when-a-quad-is-distorted&highlight=UV+distorted

JoePoe
09-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Zero work involved.
Use Image node instead of layers.

Layers left..... Node right :thumbsup:.

Edit: Ha! I said the same thing on that other thread :).

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 04:24 PM
That's kind of odd, is it not?

SteveH
09-25-2015, 04:53 PM
OH man - more things to try out - thanks everyone. First beer though...
Maybe after a few beers I'll be able to pronounce (correctly) nonawesome....