PDA

View Full Version : Spline control flipping problem AGAIN

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 07:22 AM
I read older posts and did lots of experimenting but I cant solve this issue,

the weird thing is that lots of youtube videos does not have this problem and they are ready to go after setup without having to set bank and pitch etc to spline control.

Should I forget using this tool in 11 series?

RebelHill
09-25-2015, 07:39 AM
its all in here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCVneRb141I&index=16&list=PLTds3QePYrWEWipwKkLmyNT4Tf_JTigM2

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Spline Control usually works great in 11. I don't know how I could have gotten through several jobs without it.

Without an explanation of the problem you're seeing, I'm going to guess--the rotations of your nulls are getting misaligned? The quickest way to fix this is to:

1. Go to frame 0
2. Select all the control nulls
3. Open the Motion Properties Panel
4. Click the Rotation tab
5. Set the Controller setting of the channel you want to 'reset' to Spline Control (This is usually going to be Heading you want to fix but it might not hurt to do all of them.)
6. Press Enter twice to keyframe the channel
7. Set it back to Keyframes

That's a fairly generalized list of steps and you may need to make adjustment for your own situation. For example, "Go to frame 0" assumes you're not animating the spline itself. If the spline is being animated, then you may want to do this on the keyframes where you're seeing problems.

Hope this info helps get you back on track.

G.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 11:47 AM
I think a lot of us may believe Spline Control is a labor free solution, but it's going to often need a little tweeking of the nulls, depending on your workflow. Certain workflows of generating nulls reduce/eliminate this problem (flipping), but, for instance, importing a spline from Modeler has IME virtually always required tweeking, unless the spline was generally linear. Once it turns around a circle, tweeking is the order of the day.

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks RebelHill, your video is a lot better than most of utube tutorials.

It works Mr Greenlaw but the ribbon plane now rotates to be perpendicular to the grid. why is this tool so clunky? I am experimenting with every possible configuration and can not get smooth ribbon aligned with the grid of Layout ready to work.

It is 1 am in Baku and I hope I can solve this with your help before going to sleep.

p.s. I could only watch the vid by mr RebelHill until 14:27 as I am so tired now.

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 02:44 PM
I think I found it. just rotate the master null (the object at top of the spline) and rotate it .

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Glad you got it working.

However, since you're not explaining what it is you want to do with Spline Control, it's kind hard to guess what's making it 'clunky' for you. :)

The tool actually works quite well but it has a very broad set of uses.

G.

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 03:34 PM
I did not explain bec I thought it is a common problem as I have seen others (for example jeric_synergy himself) have written about this but you are right and I should have described better.

Mostly the ribbon appears crossed (like bow tie) and this happens only for control null #2 and #3 if I am not wrong.

Your list helped me G but in original videos (in youtube by Lino and others) this problem never happens and they just get it right with default settings.

I think I can sleep well and calm now,
thanks you for help.