PDA

View Full Version : Booleans, best cheap option?

zippitt
09-24-2015, 08:55 PM
I love modeling in LightWave, but one thing that has always driven me nuts about it is the crappy native Boolean tools. It doesn't seem to have gotten any better, even with fairly basic planar quads you still get junk.

I saw mention of 3rd powers Boolean tool, is there anything else there similar to it that's free?

I know blender can do it, but I would hate to keep importing and exporting.

ernpchan
09-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Don't know of a free alternative. I think Mike Green has something that does fracturing. A boolean tool is pretty complicated to just be free.

spherical
09-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Heh. There's "free" and there's saving a lot of work (time) by buying something at a reasonable price that works. IOW, false economy.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 09:53 PM
From what I hear, 3rd Powers is WELL worth the price.

You can get more money: you can't get more time.

spherical
09-24-2015, 10:31 PM
That, and it does stuff that native Boolean can't; like interactive placement before commit.

3rd Powers
09-25-2015, 12:56 AM
We are just now performing a test operation of the next version of Boolean Tool.
Please relax and be on the watch for its next update :)

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 12:57 AM
We are just now performing a test operation of the next version of Boolean Tool.
!!!! You tease! :bowdown:

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Boolean operations work better when there are more polygons to work with. Try subdividing the mesh first or making extra cuts where you see problems. (This is also true for any of the fracturing tools out there because most of them rely on the same or similar operations.)

These days, my first choice is the 3rd Powers Boolean Tool. It's fantastic--fully interactive and it often works well where the native one may fail. That said, occasionally it can fail where the native one works fine, so it's good to have both.

G.

rcallicotte
09-25-2015, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxVgFo86bc4

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Woo! That's cool.

I wonder if it will have it's own 'fracture' mode.

G.

mummyman
09-25-2015, 12:55 PM

Please... please... please...... make this work in Layout! :) Your plugins (modeling and layout) have saved my ***** so many times on my past few projects. Being I do mostly organic modeling and animation.. oh man.. GREAT plugins. Money well spent.

spherical
09-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Boolean operations work better when there are more polygons to work with.

Huh? In my experience, the more polys, the more time it takes to run. Looks like LW has hung; and sometimes it does hang. Also, the more polys, the more points, the more likely that a cutter will try to divide one that cannot be divided--because it is dimensionless in the axis that the cutter is working.

bobakabob
09-25-2015, 03:17 PM
3rd Powers boolean tools are essential for this technique in LW modelling whether organic sub d or hard surface. Great to hear they're still working on them. Clearly not content with being just brilliant.

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
I imagine it depends on the shapes your cutting and cutting with.

In my experience, the Boolean tools tend generate far fewer errors and stray geometry (usually none) when there is more data for the tools to work with. This has been especially true for curved surfaces, and of course when using Fracture.

I don't think it's Boolean has locked up on me like you described--maybe the geometry I work with is not as complicated? Your mileage may differ of course.

G.

Tip: One trick I like to do is run boolean operations in passes. This runs faster and produces more predictable results for me.

spherical
09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Hmmm. I've found that if I do not do them all at once (using native) the end result is Borked somehow.

On the issue of more is better, that just doesn't make logical sense to me. Taking things to the basic, a box cutting into a box is about as simple as it gets. Less to compute is less prone to failure.

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Maybe it just works for me then. :)

spherical
09-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Well, I'd certainly be interested in your tricks. 'Cuz, Damn!

zippitt
09-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys, I will wait for the new release of the 3rd powers tool. I have been dealing with it for years I can wait a little longer.