PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please showcase 2015 improved fiberfx styling tools?

prometheus
09-23-2015, 07:10 PM
I wasnīt aware that fiberfx edit guides in 2015 was improved, thought I should look in to it with the discovery edition..but sadly it isnīt available in discovery edition.
So if someone could showcase in what ways it is improved in 2015 vs 11.6.3 ..that would be great.

Thanks

Michael

lightscape
09-23-2015, 11:51 PM
+1.

Lino has been uploading vids to lightwave youtube lately.
Maybe we can message him there to request this.

jboudreau
09-24-2015, 09:04 AM
I wasnīt aware that fiberfx edit guides in 2015 was improved, thought I should look in to it with the discovery edition..but sadly it isnīt available in discovery edition.
So if someone could showcase in what ways it is improved in 2015 vs 11.6.3 ..that would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Guys

I have 2015.3 and the only difference I know of is the folowing below. Everything else seems the same to me except for some new bugs in 2015.3 with self shadows (nodes) etc.

FiberFX now supports the cyHair hair model data format from Cem Yuksel (http://www.cemyuksel. com/research/hairmodels/). This means you can style hair in a variety of packages and import your hair into LightWave for rendering, or inversely export from FiberFX for use in other packages. Load a cyHair wigs in Modeler as any other file. Keep it as a separate object or put it on a different layer to the rest of your geometry. When sent to Layout, apply FiberFX to it. If you have styled hair in FiberFX you wish to export as cyHair, right click on the hair in the FiberFX window and choose Save as cyHair Wig.

Thanks,
Jason

prometheus
09-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Hi Guys

I have 2015.3 and the only difference I know of is the folowing below. Everything else seems the same to me except for some new bugs in 2015.3 with self shadows (nodes) etc.

FiberFX now supports the cyHair hair model data format from Cem Yuksel (http://www.cemyuksel. com/research/hairmodels/). This means you can style hair in a variety of packages and import your hair into LightWave for rendering, or inversely export from FiberFX for use in other packages. Load a cyHair wigs in Modeler as any other file. Keep it as a separate object or put it on a different layer to the rest of your geometry. When sent to Layout, apply FiberFX to it. If you have styled hair in FiberFX you wish to export as cyHair, right click on the hair in the FiberFX window and choose Save as cyHair Wig.

Thanks,
Jason

So that seems like the improvement of fiberfx isnīt anything related to styling guides....rather just additional import and export options of hairguides?

Luc_Feri
09-25-2015, 06:41 AM
I did clearly say mate that the stability is the biggest improvement for 2015.3 ;)

I wasn't suggesting that it had amazing new tools. :D

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Improved stability is big of course, and the main fix for me was in restoring proper motion vector export. This worked worked back in 11.5.1 but it broke during the 11.6.x cycle. FiberFX motion vectors output seems to be fixed now in 2015.x.

As for CyHair, I'm still not sure which programs support it yet. When I was looking it up last winter, I saw CyHair associated with the two hair styling systems for DAZ 3D but I don't think it was actually supported yet.

Does anybody have more recent info about which programs support CyHair besides LightWave? Thanks.

G.

jboudreau
09-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Improved stability is big of course, and the main fix for me was in restoring proper motion vector export. This worked worked back in 11.5.1 but it broke during the 11.6.x cycle. FiberFX motion vectors output seems to be fixed now in 2015.x.

As for CyHair, I'm still not sure which programs support it yet. When I was looking it up last winter, I saw CyHair associated with the two hair styling systems for DAZ 3D but I don't think it was actually supported yet.

Does anybody have more recent info about which programs support CyHair besides LightWave? Thanks.

G.

Regarding CyHair, The person who made cyHair wrote a 3DSMAX plugin called Hair Farm (http://www.hair-farm.com/) I'm pretty sure you can export out your cyHair wig file and import it into lightwave FiberFX.

So to answer your question, 3DSMAX support the CyHair format through the Hair Farm plugin. Check it out the hair is so realistic

Thanks,
Jason

prometheus
09-25-2015, 02:25 PM
I did clearly say mate that the stability is the biggest improvement for 2015.3 ;)

I wasn't suggesting that it had amazing new tools. :D

ehh..you mentioned in another thread...
"Styling is much improved in 2015, edit guides is more stable than ever. You can even use fiber-fx edit guides to groom 2 pointpoly chains that you have created either from guides, curves, whatever!! "

Much improved styling? sounds like more than import export options and stability, you also mentioned edit guides to groom polychains, you can do that with 11.6.3 too ..so that is not 2015 specific.
so I donīt see any styling improvements really...if you are not counting in other software to style and then import...and I really donīt see it as styling improvements when you talk about stability.
The thread...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148095-Realistic-Head-Hair-Imossible/page2&highlight=fiberfx+styling

Unfortunatly I canīt try it out with discovery edition..it would render the discussion obsolete if it was available to test.

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not getting Max but it's good to know that other programs are supporting it.

I should check the CyHair status of those Daz 3D plugins again. One was called Garibaldi (http://www.daz3d.com/garibaldi-express-hair-system-for-daz-studio) and the other was Look At My Hair (http://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair). I recall seeing a CyHair discussion in the Daz forums but I don't think it had yet been supported as of last winter. I think the plug-ins were inexpensive and more like what I'd be interested in.

(IMO, you can never have too many tricks for styling hair.) :)

G.

prometheus
09-25-2015, 02:41 PM
you also mentioned edit guides to groom polychains, you can do that with 11.6.3 too ..so that is not 2015 specific.
so I donīt see any styling improvements really...if you are not counting in other software to style and then import...and I really donīt see it as styling

I could be wrong here...I can groom the fibers seemingly from the polychain but when dropping the edit guides tool in layout, the polychain is un altered, only fibers applied are edited, if this is the case in 2015, then I am right..if it is altered..then I am wrong.

Greenlaw
09-25-2015, 02:46 PM
You're right, Edit Guides isn't supported in Discovery Mode. I'm a bit surprised by that. I wonder why that is.

Isn't the 2015.3 Demo version (not Discovery) fully functional for 30 days? (https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave/) I'm not sure how this works but I think you can request a temporary license from LW3DG. If you just want to try it out for a month, it might be worth asking about.

IMO, the styling tools are improved because they're more stable...but now we're just splitting hairs aren't we. :p

G.

bobakabob
09-25-2015, 03:06 PM
It would be great to see some examples.

FibreFX should ideally include good editable presets in Lightwave a la Zbrush with specific guidance in the manual about how to set up the model with suggested settings eg size to ensure convincing shadows. Hair /fur in LW should be quick and straightforward to create... not an arcane science taking days or weeks to tweak. The last time I tried FFX some values had to be pushed to 300% or so... It didn't make sense. I ended up importing a Zbrush mesh to get the job done.

There is also a desperate need for a good video tutorial or flow chart to guide the FibreFX newbie through the minefield of potential dead ends gotchas and crashes. It would be nice to see best practice applying bullet to 2 point poly chains.

No doubt LW3DG are on it, but it really is time FibreFX showed off some real potential with the same wow factor Joe Alter's brilliant Shave plugin did for Lightwave all those years back. Mediocrity in a program as good as LW is not an option :)

prometheus
09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
You're right, Edit Guides isn't supported in Discovery Mode. I'm a bit surprised by that. I wonder why that is.

Isn't 2015.3 fully functional for 30 days? (https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave/) I'm not sure how this works but I think you can request a temporary license from LW3DG. If you just want to try it out for a month, it might be worth asking about.

IMO, the styling tools are improved because they're more stable...but now we're just splitting hairs aren't we. :p

G.

Sadly I forgot to sign up for the 90 day trial, just missed it due to other things around.
May ask later..but I will test what I can meanwhile.

object saving is limited to a certain point amount in the discovery edition, so you canīt even create a decent hairscalp without lw protesting of to many points, though you can load other stuff created with valid lightwave versions..so I did that..but as mentioned, edit guideīs donīt work in discovery mode.

and yes we are splitting hairs going in depth of those statements :) we got to be careful about those strands left on our heads nowadays, at least I do, tangling with semantics will only mess it up..no need for that.:)

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Make the damn coder make those videos, see how he justifies some of his decisions. :devil:

And Prom, you can still get 30 days-- missing the 90 day is all on you. At some point you gotta spend the money.

prometheus
09-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Make the damn coder make those videos, see how he justifies some of his decisions. :devil:

And Prom, you can still get 30 days-- missing the 90 day is all on you. At some point you gotta spend the money.

I really think I will wait til next lightwave version though and see what it brings...I am in no hurry really.

jboudreau
09-25-2015, 10:24 PM
I really think I will wait til next lightwave version though and see what it brings...I am in no hurry really.

You may want to be in a hurry with the new pricing plan that was just announced. Because if I got this right if you don't upgrade to 2015 before 2016 comes out which from the sounds of it is just around the corner. Then you are looking at $795US to go from the version you have now to 2016. If you stay current then the upgrade to the next version will be $295US

The Good news is that they are offering charter/post charter members a chance to upgrade to 2015 for only $295US

https://www.lightwave3d.com/crossgrade_promo/

Thanks,
Jason

pinkmouse
09-26-2015, 02:50 AM
Sadly I forgot to sign up for the 90 day trial, just missed it due to other things around.

You didn't miss anything, it didn't work if you'd used any other demo version of 2015.

prometheus
09-26-2015, 07:23 PM
You may want to be in a hurry with the new pricing plan that was just announced. Because if I got this right if you don't upgrade to 2015 before 2016 comes out which from the sounds of it is just around the corner. Then you are looking at $795US to go from the version you have now to 2016. If you stay current then the upgrade to the next version will be $295US

The Good news is that they are offering charter/post charter members a chance to upgrade to 2015 for only $295US

https://www.lightwave3d.com/crossgrade_promo/

Thanks,
Jason

yep..that seem to be the pricing I got in my account, though translated to swedish crowns, and checking currency exchange sites gave different results, but one was very close to that pricing, so it seems to be correct..to that comes the vat of 25% for me.
very tempting and this might do it for me...yeah, I will have my heads up for the end of september.
donīt know..maybe they should improve the account site so both the offered real price of that currency is presented..as it is the mail, if your eligable that is ..as well as the translated currency for each ones country, just to avoid confusion.

A very good offer, even though I havent properly tested the 2015 demos.

You didn't miss anything, it didn't work if you'd used any other demo version of 2015.

Thanks...