PDA

View Full Version : Three monitors: excessive?

jeric_synergy
09-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Anybody using 3 monitors? Is it Good, or just a Bit Too Much?

shrox
09-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Anybody using 3 monitors? Is it Good, or just a Bit Too Much?

Are you bragging? All I got is this modified Etch-a-Sketch as a monitor...

JonW
09-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Two 30" & one 24" vertical for menus. One of the 30" I use on the Mac for reference material for LW.

shrox
09-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Two 30" & one 24" vertical for menus. One of the 30" I use on the Mac for reference material for LW.

I like the vertical monitor idea for menus, very smart.

ernpchan
09-23-2015, 07:22 PM
I work with a giant main monitor, a Cintiq and a high end color corrected monitor. It's not bad.

digitaldoc
09-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Use 3 computers and 7 monitors simultaneously. Lightwave on 2 or 3 monitors, menus on 2nd, graphs on 3rd.

shrox
09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Use 3 computers and 7 monitors simultaneously. Lightwave on 2 or 3 monitors, menus on 2nd, graphs on 3rd.

OK, now you're bragging...

magiclight
09-24-2015, 04:55 AM
I don't have the brain power to use 3 monitors, I have 2, one big for the main application and then I keep surface editor, scene editor and so on on the other monitor and I am happy with that, don't think I would like 3 monitors.

Ryan Roye
09-24-2015, 05:27 AM
2 monitors are my limit. When using Lightwave and other 3d apps, I only use 1 monitor. When doing coding or website-related work I tend to rely on two (the second monitor acts as the "output" preview display).

3 monitors in my opinion starts to get into the really niche category in terms of usefulness.

vncnt
09-24-2015, 07:20 AM
3 monitors in my opinion starts to get into the really niche category in terms of usefulness.

Three is works faster when editing video.
One for timeline and some scopes. The second for filters, etc. The third for full screen and 10bit monitoring.

With Lightwave you could use the third screen for an application that has a meaningful link to the Lightwave input or output or reference. Like VFX or your video project.

When combining Modeling or 3D painting with Layout or scripting, two large screens will do fine.

ActionBob
09-24-2015, 07:22 AM
I think it depends on how good those monitors are.... I recently took down my triple monitor setup (was mostly used for gaming) as the monitors were not of the best quality or resolution. I found that I was limited in space and opted to buy a much better quality 2k monitor to satisfy my works / game space requirements. I think two is enough (depending on the config - I like one vertical for reading documents). Just make sure they are of high picture quality and better than 1080p resolution (just not enough real estate in my opinion).

-Adrian

Signal to Noise
09-24-2015, 08:16 AM
I've moved away from a multi-monitor setup (used 2x 24 horizontal + 1x 19" vertical all on a single multi stand) in favour of a single 34" ultrawide. There is software with the UW to mimic separate multi-display set ups. Less cords, more desk space.

vonpietro
09-24-2015, 09:19 AM
if you have a laptop - its easy to just plug in an additional monitor

2 monitor workflow -
surf the web or watch a movie while watching for the preview to end =)

Chris S. (Fez)
09-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Hmm. Need new monitor. Anyone have any recommendations for a large, reliable but not outrageously expensive monitor?

vonpietro
09-24-2015, 10:18 AM
if you have good will around your area - i got a 20" 1200x900 for 16.50
there is alot in ny and cali, not sure other states.
but sometimes you can find one at a yardsale, too.
=)

but i would suggest frys - sign up for their promo codes - easily 25%off sometimes
new large monitor for $150 is typical.

Waves of light
09-25-2015, 02:35 AM
Hmm. Need new monitor. Anyone have any recommendations for a large, reliable but not outrageously expensive monitor?

I picked up a QNIX 2710 and use it as my main monitor. IPS panel and the resolution is perfect for LW. I have a second monitor for menus. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1NB1871

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 03:28 AM
I salute you all and envy you at the same time you wealthy Lightwavers, I am more like shrox too.

Hi Shrox, it is great to see you. I am happy that I am not alone here :)

vncnt
09-25-2015, 12:56 PM
If you spend a lot of time behind monitors, IŽd recommend L-A-R-G-E screens too.
Escpecially when youŽre 40+.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, I'm in my late 40's. --VERY VERY late.

Tim21
09-25-2015, 10:03 PM
I don't have the brain power to use 3 monitors, I have 2, one big for the main application and then I keep surface editor, scene editor and so on on the other monitor and I am happy with that, don't think I would like 3 monitors.

same here really, every menu goes on one monitor, with the main focus/proggy on the other one. I don't see a real reason for yet another monitor, unless you are trying to decode the matrix code that is :lol:

dwburman
09-26-2015, 02:50 PM
I have 3 monitors going now (two old Dell 20" and one new (and relatively cheap) Acer 23"). The only "problem" other than desk space is when I'm looking at and clicking on something on the left monitor and a panel or file requester pops up on the right monitor, I might not see it, so I think nothing happened. :)

More screen space is nice for keeping reference or webpages open on one screen while you work on the other two.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2015, 03:31 PM
I have 3 monitors going now (two old Dell 20" and one new (and relatively cheap) Acer 23"). The only "problem" other than desk space is when I'm looking at and clicking on something on the left monitor and a panel or file requester pops up on the right monitor, I might not see it, so I think nothing happened. :)

More screen space is nice for keeping reference or webpages open on one screen while you work on the other two.
Yeah, that's the issue without a tablet. I prefer my references, because of this, to be in hard copy, but of course that's lame because it's not Searchable.

I'm thinking the proper investment is A) a better video card, plus B) a larger main monitor, and retire my embarrassingly small 2ndary monitor. (Turn into a RaspberryPi night-lite/lava lamp.)

#aflw One of the issues with 11.6.3 and possibly also 2015.3 is not all LW panels will "toggle to front"-- they don't toggle with the key that makes them appear (boooo!) and even if they do not all will open in front of all others. This is Very Bad, as a panel can freeze the whole app. I hope Matt is on top of this, as it seems to be in his bailiwick.

IIRC, the non-toggling is the case with the NSE. This is mitigated by it usually being very large, here at least, so I can usually see it/get to it, but smaller panels and some dialogs are easily lost in the clutter.