PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions, One technical regarding bones and the other on your opinionplease

Farhad_azer
09-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Hi everybody,

1) How can I make an object obey existing bones? I know how to assign bone to object but I don't know the solution when I already have the bone, (seems to be a very simple one but I have not done my study well on bone areas, sorry about this)

2) Unusual question but I would like to ask about your opinion. Here at Azerbaijan it will be holidays for 4 consecutive days and this means I have 4*24 hours minus sleeping times. what do you think would be best to do specifically in LW. sadly I still don't have any commercial program like realflow or lwcad and I want to make sth quite detailed and challenging during these days. what will you suggest?

Cant wait to read your kind replies.

DrStrik9
09-23-2015, 04:35 PM
On the opinion question: I'm no expert here, but it seems to me that you should just "follow your nose." There are many areas that one can improve in LW. Do what intrigues you. If it's modeling, then model, If it's texturing then texture. If it's rigging ... if it's lighting and rendering ... etc.

MonroePoteet
09-23-2015, 04:42 PM
1) To use existing bones from one object in a new object, bring up the Properties panel for the bones ("B","p"). There is a pulldown "Use Bones from Object", where you can select the object whose bones you want to affect the new object. Note that you still control the bones through the original object.

2) For a four-day challenge, how about a chessboard (say standard Staunton chess pieces) where the two sides get into a real battle. First moves are legal on both sides, but then a piece or two on the "bad guys" side (you choose white or black) starts cheating (illegal moves, multiple moves, sucker punching or slapping or tripping opposing players as they move by, etc.). The "good guys" side has to get in their face to force legal moves and ends up a free-for-all, with the "bad guys" trying anything they can to get to the King and Queen of the good guys, and the good guys defending them and fighting back.

See the Wikipedia article for Staunton chess piece references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set

A bit of a modeling challenge, but not too bad. Texturing to make the pieces some wood or other material to your liking, plus the chess board and environs. You can use bones or not to make the fight moves for the individual pieces, but because the pieces are *supposed* to be rigid, I don't think it'd be required (e.g. just a circular "WHACK" to throw a punch), and if you do use bones, any sort of moves would probably work without looking out-of-place. The length of the story can be almost as short or as long as you have time.

Just a thought.

mTp

Farhad_azer
09-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks fellas,

I was doing what u mentioned for question number one as it was the only visible option but I was doing it wrong. thanks for this although this is not very intuitive and I wish there are other solutions. is this the only way?

Your opinion is simply brilliant. why don't you do this for yourself bec you might win an award? it is a very good scenario. I am not sure if I can finish it in 4 days but this will be definitely on my list. thanks again for great suggestion.

jeric_synergy
09-23-2015, 05:49 PM
1) To expand upon what Monroe said, since it confused me just the other day: go to the Object you want affected FIRST, then hit 'B' for bone. Even if there are no/zero bones, the Bone properties panel will appear.

2) You should enter the Speed Modeling Challenge-- worst case is you spend 3 hours learning how to work under time pressure.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148119-SPEED-MODELING-CHALLENGE-9-18-deadline-9-28-quot-Music-Class-quot

Note how simple your entry can be. AIM LOW.

Farhad_azer
09-25-2015, 02:33 AM
You are right dear jeric, it is confusing but thanks to help by mTp and you I found how to deal with it. I think there might be other solutions.

about your propose I should say I was thinking about it and it is a great exercise thu I am not sure if I can do it bec I have no experience working under that kind of time pressure.

I will do my best anyway, thank you.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2015, 09:07 AM
......I am not sure if I can do it bec I have no experience working under that kind of time pressure.

I will do my best anyway, thank you.
It's a lot better getting practice HERE, under time pressure but no other, than under the disapproving gaze of a client.

It's FUN! It makes you learn things! You'll love it.