PDA

View Full Version : The future of modeling

Dillon
09-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhhdRU9dbI&feature=youtu.be

I can't wait to be able to model in VR.

Any other 3D app out there that allows a user to create high quality meshes (and paint on them) in VR, to export to FBX or OBJ? I'd hope that LW can take up the helm of this new way to model, but at the pace they're moving in deveopment, who knows.

lightscape
09-22-2015, 12:00 PM
No precision, no keyboard for the dozens of commands needed for real world content creation.
Looks more gimicky imho like most vr sculpting that's been done before.
I can't imagine waving my arms for 8 hours a day to model.
Maybe I'm finally getting old. I just don't get the appeal of vr used as interfacing for creating content, or even viewing 360 vr movies that have no story...ZZzzz
For playing video games its great.

Dillon
09-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Hmm.

Both Vive and Oculus' VR input controllers are said to be precise.

If extra precision is needed, I'm sure a set of tools could be included in any VR modeler to give you CAD level accuracy.

In any case, this is an app in development, and its not even a 3D modeler. It's supposed to be a VR world creator.

The future of interfacing with computers will be gesture based and voice driven. Voice activated commands to access tools in your app while you're in a VR space. All the majors are updating their digital assistants this year, and they're rumored to be "conversational" - meaning, very soon we'll be able to talk to our computers and run them through complicated tasks without having to touch a keyboard at all.

sadkkf
09-22-2015, 12:13 PM
This is very similar to the Vue's ecosystem painting.

Markc
09-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Surely this would require some serious hardware?

mummyman
09-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Pretty neat!

squarewulf
09-22-2015, 02:03 PM
This could work, the example in the video is pretty weak though.

If some sort of arm was developed like this (http://www.abacus.it/wp-content/themes/abacus014/images/prodotti-abacus-cad-cam/microscan/05.jpg) that could be used to create measurements; then the oculus could be used as a sort of augmented reality.

prometheus
09-22-2015, 08:49 PM
No precision, no keyboard for the dozens of commands needed for real world content creation.
Looks more gimicky imho like most vr sculpting that's been done before.
I can't imagine waving my arms for 8 hours a day to model.
Maybe I'm finally getting old. I just don't get the appeal of vr used as interfacing for creating content, or even viewing 360 vr movies that have no story...ZZzzz
For playing video games its great.

Yeah you might think it would be heavy on your arms...but think about I. ..would you sculpt in clay with a mouse in real life..no...don't think so.
People have been sculpting for ages..With their hands..and taking breaks has probably been good for the rest of the body..and avoiding sitting still the whole day so you don't get fat.

Besides..lay down in bed and raise your lower arm only..and you can feel and see how good support you get while still having full freedom to move your hands and fingers to sculpt ..without any major effort.

magiclight
09-23-2015, 01:55 AM
I guess the "cool" factor is high but for real use ? not so much I think (of course it will be very useful for some domain specific areas, no question about that)

You can do the same thing without VR (and most people don't feel good using VR for a full working day, not good for the eyes), hey they could even make a video of how it works on a 2D screen ;)

And also notice that he is at the same place in the scene all the time (he does not move from his chair), how often do you do that when you work with LW (I don't mean move from the chair, i mean move the "camera") ? doing this would either have you get back to the "real" world to move the "camera" or he need a big room to run around in.

Danner
09-23-2015, 04:59 AM
He's not really modeling, just adding pre-made stuff. Doing some terraforming and painting.

Was the placing of the premade shed using slow particles really necessary?, or explosions to place trees? This all seems to me just smoke (literally) and mirrors to get funding.

JonW
09-23-2015, 06:27 AM
This is all pointless eye candy.

If one is doing any architectural work or product prototypes it's all data entry and administration down to the mm or fractions of a mm.

raymondtrace
09-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Right...This is just drawing with crayons. It offers accessibility for casual users and not much more.

lightscape
09-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Yeah you might think it would be heavy on your arms...but think about I. ..would you sculpt in clay with a mouse in real life..no...don't think so.
People have been sculpting for ages..With their hands..and taking breaks has probably been good for the rest of the body..and avoiding sitting still the whole day so you don't get fat.

Besides..lay down in bed and raise your lower arm only..and you can feel and see how good support you get while still having full freedom to move your hands and fingers to sculpt ..without any major effort.

I did sculpt with clay and did airbrushing on anything and drafted with pencil and tsquares. Finearts and architecture graduate with a masters in architecture.
3D killed most of that traditional stuff so I learned 3d around 2005 or go broke.
There's no tactile resistance with most of the VR software I've seen. Your arms and hands are floating and you can't rest them anywhere.
Would you rather etch a detail with a stylus/mouse that's relaxed on a table or with a "wii controller"?
You wouldn't even hold your ipad at shoulder length and draw that way for a few hours. You put it down the table and draw on it for comfort, precision.

Photogram
09-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhhdRU9dbI&feature=youtu.be

I can't wait to be able to model in VR.

Any other 3D app out there that allows a user to create high quality meshes (and paint on them) in VR, to export to FBX or OBJ? I'd hope that LW can take up the helm of this new way to model, but at the pace they're moving in deveopment, who knows.

I am waiting that since 20 years!!!

But with a modeler not cheesy like this one that is more game creation oriented..
Something more precise to be able to model like in the modeler...
There is already a occulus developement made for Layout but i think we need a major upgrade to the modeler to support occulus.

prometheus
09-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Your arms and hands are floating and you can't rest them anywhere.
Would you rather etch a detail with a stylus/mouse that's relaxed on a table or with a "wii controller"?
You wouldn't even hold your ipad at shoulder length and draw that way for a few hours. You put it down the table and draw on it for comfort, precision.

You obviously canĻt have read my description and advice?..did you test it?..supereasy to rest your arms..if you lay down in bed with upperarm at rest supported by the bed, the lower arms are pointing straight up and are by themself rested on the joint bone to the upperarm(sounds like a lw bonesetup) the hands themself are not in need for resting that much either, they are a bit at rest to the lower arm joint by gravity..the rest is just to move your hands slightly in rotational degree to spin oject, push and drag a bit with fingers in small motions...I could model like that for hours without having arms or hands worned out, howver staying awake in the bed for 8 hours wonīt be fun, unless doing other activities :)

if you donīt want to be at bed, you could probably construct a support gerdel that is connected to your back or something, letting under arms rest at certain degree..and also letting the hands move freely but still a bit supported.
donīt think that would be a problem to construct..the question is however what type of modeling action that would be suitable for, hardly for any fine detal product design or archviz..but for rought sketches yes, and figure design at some level, finer detail you would probably need tablet or a special device to fix your arm, the arms should limited to as little movement as possilbe ...whil hands and fingers should do the job for you.

In fact..having such device that works great in bed, would let you wake up or if a bit tired..fire it up and let the artist awake within you when you are in the twilight zone between being awake and almost dreamy, quite easy then to model in bed rought sketches maybe...you donīt want to go up and sit at the table or pull up a portable computer.
Though a wacom cintiq tab would probably be the best choice for detail modeling, but spinning with your hands gives a more direct control ..especially for symmetry and pressure actions on a rough model.

Michael

Dillon
09-24-2015, 12:21 PM
VR modeling isn't as hokey as some want to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IreEK-abHio

Check out Oculus' newly revealed VR Paint program. Includes modeling and painting.

Not bad for a 1.0 app. I can see other developers making CAD style precision modeling tools for creating in VR, as well as texturing / painting 3D models in VR space.

Ernest
09-24-2015, 04:21 PM
VR modeling isn't as hokey as some want to believe.
But we work 16 hours a day! Every day! We'd go blind.

On the other hand.... haptic feedback: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1551369150/unlimitedhand-touch-and-feel-the-game-world

Dillon
09-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Just had a flurry of thoughts regarding people protesting modeling in VR...

Some express concern about how to have fine control when modeling in VR. And holding arms up for hours at a time.

The thing about modeling in VR is, that you won't be moving your arm and fingers in small increments. You'll be moving your whole body. Modeling in VR will become a sculpturer's dream. Imagine using big and brisk gestures for slicing through a model.

Very soon (within months), Microsoft, Apple, and Google are going to release updates of their digital assistants. According to people who have already experienced beta versions of these, they're going to allow us to control our computers (and environmental systems plugged into them) by our voice.

So, very soon, we'll be using our hands and fingers and the larger movements of our arms to mold and sculpt in VR, while issuing voice commands to our computer to change the tools we use them with.

shrox
09-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Just had a flurry of thoughts regarding people protesting modeling in VR...

Some express concern about how to have fine control when modeling in VR. And holding arms up for hours at a time.

The thing about modeling in VR is, that you won't be moving your arm and fingers in small increments. You'll be moving your whole body. Modeling in VR will become a sculpturer's dream. Imagine using big and brisk gestures for slicing through a model.

Very soon (within months), Microsoft, Apple, and Google are going to release updates of their digital assistants. According to people who have already experienced beta versions of these, they're going to allow us to control our computers (and environmental systems plugged into them) by our voice.

So, very soon, we'll be using our hands and fingers and the larger movements of our arms to mold and sculpt in VR, while issuing voice commands to our computer to change the tools we use them with.

I like my GodView.

Dillon
09-24-2015, 08:14 PM
It's coming sooner than you think! ;)

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 09:22 PM
But we work 16 hours a day! Every day! We'd go blind.
We shouldn't be working 16 hours a day-- that's b.s. That's not living.

..... while issuing voice commands to our computer to change the tools we use them with.
I suggested that >10 years ago, just to switch tools, and people had sh!!-fit: apparently murmuring into a mic would upset their sweat shops.

lightscape
09-24-2015, 11:08 PM
You obviously canĻt have read my description and advice?..did you test it?..supereasy to rest your arms..if you lay down in bed with upperarm at rest supported by the bed, the lower arms are pointing straight up and are by themself rested on the joint bone to the upperarm(sounds like a lw bonesetup) the hands themself are not in need for resting that much either, they are a bit at rest to the lower arm joint by gravity..the rest is just to move your hands slightly in rotational degree to spin oject, push and drag a bit with fingers in small motions...I could model like that for hours without having arms or hands worned out, howver staying awake in the bed for 8 hours wonīt be fun, unless doing other activities :)

if you donīt want to be at bed, you could probably construct a support gerdel that is connected to your back or something, letting under arms rest at certain degree..and also letting the hands move freely but still a bit supported.
donīt think that would be a problem to construct..the question is however what type of modeling action that would be suitable for, hardly for any fine detal product design or archviz..but for rought sketches yes, and figure design at some level, finer detail you would probably need tablet or a special device to fix your arm, the arms should limited to as little movement as possilbe ...whil hands and fingers should do the job for you.

In fact..having such device that works great in bed, would let you wake up or if a bit tired..fire it up and let the artist awake within you when you are in the twilight zone between being awake and almost dreamy, quite easy then to model in bed rought sketches maybe...you donīt want to go up and sit at the table or pull up a portable computer.
Though a wacom cintiq tab would probably be the best choice for detail modeling, but spinning with your hands gives a more direct control ..especially for symmetry and pressure actions on a rough model.

Michael

So artists working in offices right now should be provided beds? Haha :ohmy:
I can't wait for that future.

Anyway I watch flix on the bed just as you described when I want to fall asleep. Believe me after watching a few tv episodes or one 2hr movie this is not the way people should be working as artists even for "rough sketches". :D

shrox
09-24-2015, 11:28 PM

Anyway I watch flix on the bed just as you described when I want to fall asleep. Believe me after watching a few tv episodes or one 2hr movie this is not the way people should be working as artists even for "rough sketches". :D

We were. We even had a pool.

Ernest
09-24-2015, 11:41 PM
We shouldn't be working 16 hours a day-- that's b.s. That's not living.

How can it not be living to have the pleasure of spending almost all your day doing that which gives you the most pleasure in life?

Talking to people is torture. Watching TV gets dull fast. Doing sports feels so pointless and meaningless that I have to quit in minutes out of self-embarrassment.

Ah! but when you're modeling. Then the world disappears and there's only this overwhelming sense of bliss and this tingling excitement when you see your creation taking shape and the first inklings of beauty sprout. And then, finally, you sit back and realize that you have created beauty and there it is and you can give it life. And it always feels like the first day.

lightscape
09-25-2015, 05:39 AM
We were. We even had a pool.

We had couches to sleep and a game room. Those were the days of slave labor.
Now its all meetings, emails, stare at the screen pretend to work but actually watching the tube. :D

prometheus
09-25-2015, 02:04 PM

why would you sit in an office on a chair getting a crumb back and having the boss behind you slapping your head or sneezing on you, when you can be in bed and do the same job, talk to the boss through the internet and stay at home, less carbon oxide waste and you are more safer than on the roads :)

You have to convince your boss that is the way to go though:D or get a bed in the office, and of course..if someone is good at knitting, the support cloth for your arms are doable...how about that? works in an office too, thatīs the way to solve the problems rather than seing obstacles. .)

regarding watching flix..that is often sleeping pills and cant be compared to putting the mind in motion interactivly and creativly in the bed, so no..I donīt agree with you that it wonīt work for rough creative sketches.

Zerowaitstate
10-24-2015, 12:20 AM
I have been in IT for 25 + years , Involved with Ligtwave since the Amiga (dropped at 6.5 and now back with 2015 TY upgrade offer) IMHO VR is going to be huge i have been playing with both DK1 and DK2 oculs HMD and progress on the at front has been phenomenal especially once FB Billions came to bear.

Being able to create content in VR will be a hugely liberating experience, one of the things i have been harping on about in the DEV forums is the need to access the very granular control that Apps like LW bring to bear in modeling and animation. VR now is llike goign back to the Amiga days there is so much that needs to be learnt about interaction with interface design ETC.

GPU processing is close to being able to pump out PBR but we still have a little way to go,

Who ever cracks the content nut for VR is going to be in a very good position, i think this is evident but the big gaming engines dropping there price to 0, they see the money in support products and assets, or the licencing once over X products is sold. The easier the transition from concept to headset getting that workflow seamless is cruscial