PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to speed up this system?

djwaterman
09-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Hi, just wondering on balance, what I could add/replace to my system to help speed up my rendering. Graphics card, memory? Just to knock it up a notch or two. Any one who knows about this stuff I'd like to hear from.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 66 C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-C (SOCKET 1150) 28 C
Graphics
S23B300 ([email protected])
1023MB NVIDIA Quadro K600 (NVIDIA) 53 C
Storage
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) 30 C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA) 34 C
931GB Western Digital WD Elements 1042 USB Device (SSD) 30 C
931GB Western Digital WD 10EACS External USB Device (SSD) 30 C
1397GB Western Digital WD 15EADS External USB Device (SSD) 30 C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 W

3D Kiwi
09-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Only cpu will speed up rendering. If you have really large scenes then more ram might help.

vonpietro
09-21-2015, 11:59 PM
DJ, WHY DO You only have 16 gigs of ram?
segment memory limit - you can crank that puppy up when you have extra ram
bigger value - slightly faster renders right there.

Want to speed things up - upgrade to 32gb.

Lightwave is a hog, i've used deformations that cracked 20 gigs, had i only a 16 gig system, it would of turned into slug city.

also DJ, multiple lightwaves open at the same time.

you can say have one rendering on minimum cores- say 4 allocated of 8 threads/cores. while 4 are left for the other lw open.
so you can continue working while your rendering.

mostly though - i have several film shots open at the same time, and simply switch between them as i wade through them. Feel like shot a right now, tab over to it, ready to work on, got stuck, jump back to shot b, waiting for an element, jump to shot c
i'm sure many wavers will brag about how many lightwaves they have had open at once!!

or if you use compositing packages, they are also ram hogs, fusion i set to 90% of my ram, i can do hd up to several hundred frames before it kicks into virtual hd.

although it looks like your doing raid drives right - depending on config thats the fastest thing.
although there is this new ssd thing called m2 it breaks the 6gb/s barrier for even faster i/o - blistering speeds un heard of before!!
ok, those are externals - your not raiding - a dual raid config with ssd's is blisteringly fast -
one writes while one reads - i think it's config 0
if one goes down, they both go down, but it's a the fastest config
and since you back up these things anyway on a mechanical huge drive, who cares right. - you would backup with this config - the risk of it going down means you would do regular backups!!

If i had to say speed up - and getting faster I/o is a speed up - huge scenes can take a while to load on mechanicals
try looking into high end ssd cards - the i/o is blisteringly fast - way faster than regular ssds (and you thought ssd's were fast)
there is another level after ssds - m.2 and of course they are smaller still.

So max that ram!! as much as you can get. Seeing how amazing your work is, i'm baffled that your only got 16 gb's. If your motherboard only goes to 16, time for a new motherboard - aim for one that does 128gb if budget is not a consideration - and max it as best you can. A 128gig system is just dreamy!
granted it takes awhile to max out 16gb, but 32 will give you wings you didn't know you had!! let alone 64gb or 128gb - wow 20 lightwaves open at once easily (thats so overkill)
do you know how much instancing you can get away with if you have 32gigs of ram?
=)

last thing-
your graphics card is ancient-
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Quadro+K600
only 800 passmark score - my laptop has 2710 to compare and its not very fast (although fast enough)
a 970 for $300 will still get you most of the way though if you have to budget

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+980+Ti&id=3218
11,000 passmark score or 12 times faster and 5x more ram.

invest in a titan 980ti 6gb - same speed as a titan 980 for $650 bucks - if you can go for this with gusto!!
th 6gb's of graphic ram gpu- will help with things like turbulancefd and other plugins that start to use gpu for calculations. Plus maybe one day lw will become cuda core happy
plus it will push pretty much anything you throw at it, your scenes will update faster in opengl
thats a speed increase that you will feel the most!! - so i recommend this as a huge workflow increaser
plus - for blender which uses gpu - it screams!! -

also - it screams if you play video games - side benefit

hope that helps
i've got info on m.2's if you want it too
the cost is slightly more than ssds - but not much

roboman
09-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Clearly more ram, unless you are doing stuff that takes almost no ram and has no textures. You can also unplug the network cable, turn off the virus checking and fire wall. You can also turn off any thing else running in the background. Liquid cooling and over clocking is an option, depending on the mother board. Back when I was doing lots of animations, I set up a render farm with any old computer I could barrow, get free or buy cheap. I also put together a couple that were just a fast cpu, ram, smallish drive, cheap video card and net card. There are also a few online render farms, if it's not going to be a long term need for render time or you would just rather spend time working on animation then playing with hardware....

spherical
09-22-2015, 12:42 AM
also DJ, multiple lightwaves open at the same time.

you can say have one rendering on minimum cores- say 4 allocated of 8 threads/cores. while 4 are left for the other lw open.
so you can continue working while your rendering.

mostly though - i have several film shots open at the same time, and simply switch between them as i wade through them. Feel like shot a right now, tab over to it, ready to work on, got stuck, jump back to shot b, waiting for an element, jump to shot c
i'm sure many wavers will brag about how many lightwaves they have had open at once!!

Never do this. False economy. It's the same thing as creating a RAM Drive to speed up reads/writes. Debunked long ago, as the practice robs memory; creating early swap to disk. If you really want to do other work while renders are working, build another box and alternate between them with a KVM switch. Doesn't have to be as powerful by a long shot; so can be a minimal expense. For modeling, run an earlier version, so the licensing doesn't become an issue. Modeler hasn't changed all that much. FAR more usability than trying to run more than one instance of LightWave on the same CPU/RAM/Disks/PCI bus. Also the same "principle" as increasing the number of threads used by LightWave above the actual threads in the CPU. Doesn't work. CPU cycles, reads/writes, etc., are what they are. There is No Free Lunch.

That said, at the very minimum, double your RAM in the render box; quadruple it if possible.

vonpietro
09-22-2015, 12:52 AM
if you have huge amounts of ram - it's not a problem sphere

i do it all the time sphere because i only have one system, and while it may be a tad slower, its way convenient to just swap which is why i recommend it.
you can have your other lw running with low priority as well just bump it back when you want to do more work in that instance of lw running.
the main benefit of course is that if stuck with one system your working while waiting for a render.
I'm rendering like that while i model all the time!!

Its an work flow option - not a speed up per say .. yes
i mention it because the speed up is in you keep going, and just switch.

if you have other systems - you might be lazy and run multiple copies anyways =)
there is time saved when it's all on one system, switching between each one
alot of people do this by the way.
that hard monitor switch thing though - thats great - i used to do that too, but alas now i'm stuck with only one system. =(

spherical
09-22-2015, 02:43 AM
if you have other systems - you might be lazy and run multiple copies anyways

Never insinuate that.

Physics is physics. All the sleight of hand tricks in the world will never beat simple physics. Just because "a lot of people do it this way" doesn't make it best; or even good. The OP is asking how to speed up his system. These suggestions are slowing it down. The only way to speed up a system is to give it what it needs in hardware and eliminate software conflicts. That which you are touting as the great be-all-end-all solution merely divides the existing system that is already taxed and adding processing overhead in running the separate instances. There will be losses just from that. Not a solution to the OP's question.

JonW
09-22-2015, 02:43 AM
Unfortunately a new CPU. Or better still 2 of them.

Waves of light
09-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Turbo mode on the i7 4770 (I presume it's a non-K version) can take the stock speed to 3.9 Ghz. That will give you a small (maybe a couple of seconds) advantage in render times. If you do a lot of frame renders, then saving a couple of seconds on each frame is a win win.

And I have always been under the impression that more RAM only assists with the handling of large scenes or objects with massive texture maps. When it comes to rendering, I didn't think having more RAM helped at all.

And as for a upgrading your graphics card, that will only help if you use Octane to render.

OFF
09-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Or you will have to purchase a powerful server (with at least 2xXeon processor's - on the Ebay, for example, to solve alot of your money) or, perhaps easier - buy Octane Render and video card for rendered with it (about what have already said Waves of Light)).

lightscape
09-22-2015, 04:08 AM
Buy cheap rendernodes atleast 3 of them.

Lewis
09-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Buy i7 4790K (Devils canon) which i stock 4.0GHz/4.4GHz Turbo Boost and overclock it even more to be 4.6-4.7GHz on all cores and throw in 32GB instead 16GB. That's all what you can do to speedup your renderings in that system/socket.

Other than that there is always more machines or go for Octane GPU rendering.

Kryslin
09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm only going to repeat what's been said here:
1) More ram. Max out the MB, if possible.
2) Better video card. It does help a bit with LW's ancient OpenGL implementation, and if you do anything else, it will help a lot. Second the GTX 980ti 6GB card - especially if you can find a factory OC version (EVGA's Classified series, for instance).
3) Faster CPU. Always helps.

Other suggestions:
4) If your case can handle it, Get a sealed water block for the CPU. Under 100% load, my i7-960 barely cracks 50C, and it's so quiet. You'll have to check with the water block Mfg, to see if it will fit your case. This give you some room for overclocking, if you want to.
5) Run windows Disk Cleanup and Trash all but the last couple restore points. Then, defrag the drive. I got 2/3rds of my 500GB main drive back, and it improved boot times quite a bit, though not as much as...
6)Installing an SSD as a boot/app drive, and RAID 1+0 the rest (Stripe and Backup). I'm running a Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD, and 4 1TB WD Constellation Enterprise drives. Not the fastest set up, but very, very reliable.

Most extreme suggestion:
7) Build a new machine, and use the old one as a render slave (after installing more ram in it). Upside - it's a new machine. Downside - $$$ (and Win 10, probably...)

djwaterman
09-22-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm just going to bookmark this thread so I can come back to it, there's a lot of stuff that makes my head spin, thanks everyone for all the advise.

JonW
09-23-2015, 06:16 AM
1. Have you got a second computer that still works? If yes

2. Have you got Screamernet running? If not, it's worth setting up, when things are quite, not when you have a deadline!

3. It's satisfying when frames come in from the render farm and all the computers are working hard.

jeric_synergy
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
2. Have you got Screamernet running? If not, it's worth setting up, when things are quite, not when you have a deadline!
Absolutely-- there's no time like quiet time to get THAT annoying chore out of the way.

3. It's satisfying when frames come in from the render farm and all the computers are working hard.
Plus, you can turn off the heaters!

vonpietro
09-23-2015, 01:34 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/nvidia-crams-desktop-gtx-980-gpu-into-monster-17-inch-notebooks/

if you want to have a highend laptop- this is the highest end laptop - graphics wise -
they married a laptop with a 980 ha!

JonW
09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Plus, you can turn off the heaters!
Especially with 9C in Sydney this morning!