PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Questions

bbouton
09-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Surely someone in this world uses the streaming capabilities of the Tricaster 410...

I am at a high school, we're trying to stream to the school on an intranet...and I'm wondering exactly how to set up my streaming to allow every room/teacher in my school to access the video without additional equipment...

I'm sending the signal live and tape delay to a specific IP address...but some are getting (using microsoft media player) an error message that tells them that the stream is unavailable to them...

any and all assistance would be helpful

our IT guys are a little new to the streaming concept and aren't quite full of answers...

thanks in advance

kanep
09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Are you currently using Windows Media Pull mode to those people who are watching the stream? I think that has a max of 5 users that can connect, it not really meant for end users to stream from, but a Windows Media Server to access.

I'm assuming that you want to see the stream inside the building network? You are going to need a streaming server to do this. There are a few choices for this. Windows Media Server is free (if you have Window Server running) otherwise you are looking at a Flash streaming server, like Wowza or Flash Server which are paid solutions, there are free solutions like Mist Server or Red5.

bbouton
09-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Yes, currently using Windows Media Pull...it's a little more than 5, but not much...I want at least 30 per stream (done 3x per day) to catch the broadcast...so I'll look into your options...thanks!

Radio_TVPat1982
09-22-2015, 11:12 AM
I am wondering if "Steaming" is the right answer.

I have been to several schools that do live broadcasting of both news and sports. They are normally not "streaming" the content however.

Your case may be different but in the cases I have saw, they send the feed to the school's "in house" channel and for Friday night football they send the feed to the video board and concession stands. In most of these instances they would be using some kind of conversion box.

Some also stream sports live but it goes to an external server like PlayOn Sports or something similar.

Would this be an option or does it have to be streamed? I can speak from experience in public school that getting all the IT guys on the same page with firewalls and admin rights can be challenging.

bbouton
09-22-2015, 11:16 AM
we don't have an internal TV/Coax network so this is going out via our ethernet internally in the school system (I can get it if I'm logged in through the network but not if I'm outside the net at home)
we deliver to a server but need an option (like a streaming server) to get it out to everyone

Radio_TVPat1982
09-22-2015, 11:21 AM
With no internal options that does limit you a bit. Is the school willing to pay for some place to stream or are you limited to having to stream to a free service like Ustream or something? Even a lot of the free ones have limits now.

bbouton
09-22-2015, 02:30 PM
we're probably stuck with free...although I will be lobbying for some pay service

Radio_TVPat1982
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
With your licence being educational for streaming, you may be able to find some additional free or discounted places to stream and archive things. Especially if you are talking less than 50 live viewers.

Does your state offer an option like Playon Sports? Here is the link to the stuff they offer in GA. School's partner to broadcast everything from sports, to news and special events.

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/states/GA

m4a2000
09-28-2015, 01:58 PM
At our junior highs we use an ANV210 from Vsicam (http://www.vsicam.com/product/avn210/) to get around the lack of inhouse coax. It's easy to set up and you only need VLC with a shortcut to the device to pick up the stream.